Analysis The club telling us fans how to behave?

Ed: "This is where true Collingwood supporters stand up"

• It's Ed's job to pull us into line and finger who is and isn't a true Collingwood supporter

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • WTF is Ed telling me what a true Collingwood supporter is and ain't?

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Whatevers

Votes: 30 52.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have yet to break 100 on it.. beautiful course though.
I’ve done it once, and everything went right that day. It’s just a great experience to play those courses. It’s been a while since I’ve had the time to play.

I believe the club and President absolutely have a role to play, but it’s a fine line.

On one side of that line are issues of racism, sexism, and any matters of discriminatiion that are out of line of the values of general society. I think most would agree with that. IMO sanctioning a player for drink driving is on the same side of that line, but that’s obviously a lot more contentious.

On the other side of the line - I don’t think it was the club’s place to have a position on the recent plebiscite ... but accept that the club’s actions were a show of support for the rights of those staff, players, members and fans who were directly affected by the plebiscite result.

As far as footy goes, I don’t think it’s the club or President’s role at all to tell us fans how we should behave or support. The club exists to represent us, the supporters. It’s not the other way around.

If the club wants us to behave like proud supporters, then that’s all very well and good, but it needs to achieve that by behaving like a club we can be proud of.

Sure, they’re not going to please everybody all the time no matter what they do. But that certainly shouldn’t stop them from striving for it. Telling us we need to pucker up for kiss cam or clap like a North Korean cheer squad ... “as all barrackers should” ... is just being arrogant and lazy.

I believe the club and President absolutely have a role to play, but it’s a fine line.

On one side of that line are issues of racism, sexism, and any matters of discriminatiion that are out of line of the values of general society. I think most would agree with that. IMO sanctioning a player for drink driving is on the same side of that line, but that’s obviously a lot more contentious.

On the other side of the line - I don’t think it was the club’s place to have a position on the recent plebiscite ... but accept that the club’s actions were a show of support for the rights of those staff, players, members and fans who were directly affected by the plebiscite result.

As far as footy goes, I don’t think it’s the club or President’s role at all to tell us fans how we should behave or support. The club exists to represent us, the supporters. It’s not the other way around.

If the club wants us to behave like proud supporters, then that’s all very well and good, but it needs to achieve that by behaving like a club we can be proud of.

Sure, they’re not going to please everybody all the time no matter what they do. But that certainly shouldn’t stop them from striving for it. Telling us we need to pucker up for kiss cam or clap like a North Korean cheer squad ... “as all barrackers should” ... is just being arrogant and lazy.

/rant
In my opinion Ed’s speech was a rallying call to hold true to the Collingwood tradition. He’s not telling us how to behave, just a reminder of what true support looks like.

I have a reserved seat with a bunch of mates. We often have spare seats so I took my daughter. We had to leave at quarter time.
Well surely you can complain. I mean footy is G rated. I grew up to footy being one of those places where animal like behaviour was acceptable by little old grannies. Kinda changed that view and I believe your 10 year old daughter is entitled to an obscenity free experience. Not sure she is entitled to a criticism of Bucks free experience. Booing is as much a part of spectator sport as cheering, that is a bottom line.

Well surely you can complain. I mean footy is G rated. I grew up to footy being one of those places where animal like behaviour was acceptable by little old grannies. Kinda changed that view and I believe your 10 year old daughter is entitled to an obscenity free experience. Not sure she is entitled to a criticism of Bucks free experience. Booing is as much a part of spectator sport as cheering, that is a bottom line.
Tried that, if I change seats I have to go down to level 1.

Ed cops a lot of criticism, but is there another club President as passionate about their team?

The answer is no.

Sure he makes mistakes, but he is one of us. If he wants to rev up the crowd at the season launch then he should be allowed to go for it without the need for a forensic analysis.

Most of Ed’s speeches are pretty much the same. It’s all about loving the club.

I can understand the resistance towards Eddie suggesting how supporters should behave.

But I think it's more important to look at the merit of what he's actually saying.

Eddie is the president of the club. He's the leader and the spokesperson. He's the one up on the podium that we all listen to.

And it is the role of whoever is in that position, to be positive and to unify the club.

I haven't been around the board in the past few years, but I can say personally, I have definitely become more negative and more pessimistic about the club and its chances. And my passion for the club has correlated and somewhat diminished too.

I think what he's saying has true merit.

Imagine if we were 40 points down at three quarter time. Would you expect Buckley to not rally the players, light a fire, and inspire a sense of hope within them? While Eddie isn't our coach, like Buckley, he's still a leader.

He’s not telling us how to behave, just a reminder of what true support looks like.

Exactly ...

... what is ‘true support’? And who defines that?

Sure, I might pay my membership dues, buy merchandise, and clap and cheer at games - but does that make me more of a true supporter than a Buckley hater? I have a real problem with that.

Sure, we might relish the idea of silencing the Buckley haters - but how to do that?

Winning games of footy is one way of achieving that - and that would make everyone most people happy.

Making Buckley more accountable is another way. IMHO our club should be applauded for being pioneers with the member’s forum. Maybe there are other way of making the senior coach more accountable to the fans? Dunno - that’s why my job is not running a footy club.

But railing that true supporters should behave a certain way beyond acceptable social norms is counterproductive IMO.

Whatevers. Eddie is an idiot that’s lost the fans.

Wait, what???

It was not so long ago you used to be a big fan!?!

What happened???

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to Ed's speech. What on earth was controversial? It seems that some members take exception to Ed's suggestion that bagging out players is not a 'side by side' trait. It's quite simple, every player busts themselves to do well - it's why they've reached this level. Sure, those of us not so blessed with sufficient skill or metal to sit beside them can get frustrated at a loss and look for targets to blame. This response however is more about us as individuals, unhappy that we can't soak up that winning feeling as if we'd actually played. 'Venting' on a public board in a way that seeks to diminish individuals and the club is not Side by Side. That does not mean however that you can't have an opinion and argue for a better way, it just means that, as reasonable human beings, it happens with civility. Best of luck to all in 2018.

Imagine if we were 40 points down at three quarter time. Would you expect Buckley to not rally the players, light a fire, and inspire a sense of hope within them? While Eddie isn't our coach, like Buckley, he's still a leader.

There’s a very important difference between the Senior Coach and the President’s leadership roles.

The senior coach is like your boss. She/he tells you (players) what to do, and you (they) do it. He/she can fire you.

By contrast the President is like your local political leader. The President reports to and is accountable to the members. Imagine if the Prime Minister / Premier / Mayor started telling their constituents how to behave beyond accepted societal norms? They’d get voted out very quickly.

Exactly ...

... what is ‘true support’? And who defines that?

Sure, I might pay my membership dues, buy merchandise, and clap and cheer at games - but does that make me more of a true supporter than a Buckley hater? I have a real problem with that.

Sure, we might relish the idea of silencing the Buckley haters - but how to do that?

Winning games of footy is one way of achieving that - and that would make everyone most people happy.

Making Buckley more accountable is another way. IMHO our club should be applauded for being pioneers with the member’s forum. Maybe there are other way of making the senior coach more accountable to the fans? Dunno - that’s why my job is not running a footy club.

But railing that true supporters should behave a certain way beyond acceptable social norms is counterproductive IMO.
True support is not bagging the players after the first practice game of the year.

An interesting point of view - 'The club exists to represent us.' A point that would take some time to unpack, suffice I think, to point to the word 'supporter' as having a subjective meaning.

I'm more interested in how you feel the club behaves in a manner not worthy of pride?

Whatevers is trending in the right direction, Ed is big on slogans and he's also big on taking minor things far too personally and is quite often publicly unstable. Sounds a bit like the leader of the free world.

I think the fact that the club has not seen on field success recently, and that's putting it very mildly. Well it means he's basically in a constant state of pre empting criticism, so he goes to the well on slogans time and time again, particularly when they tie in to our theme song.

So yeah whatevers kind of sums up my feelings about anything he says, most of which isn't worth listening to imo.

An interesting point of view - 'The club exists to represent us.' A point that would take some time to unpack, suffice I think, to point to the word 'supporter' as having a subjective meaning.

Indeed!

I'm more interested in how you feel the club behaves in a manner not worthy of pride?

Me?

I reckon the club is quite worthy of pride at the moment. I like that the club have done the reviews and hope they bring about substantive change. I genuinely think the club I should changing for the better. I like that the club has a new CEO and look forward to seeing how he goes. It’s a new AFL season and I’m tempering my onfield expectations because we still seem to be in a rebuilding phase, but I’m hoping Walsh’s influence is a positive one and we start heading up the ladder. I’m very proud of our club’s participation in AFLW and am particularly impressed with the level of development. The AFLW games i’ve seen this year have generally been entertaining. I’m proud of our club having netball team - I went to a game last year and I gotta say it was one of the more memorable sporting events I’ve been to in my life.

I listened to Ed's speech. What on earth was controversial?

I agree entirely with Ed’s sentimentS, but that’s not the point.

Look at it this way, imagine if the Prime Minister came out and said “It’s unAustralian to not drink beer and not eat lamb roasts”. Now I happen to like drinking beer and eating lamb roasts, I agree with that sentiment. But I just reckon it’s bad form being told by elected officials what I should be thinking and how I should be behaving. I felt the same when John Howard was tossing around the ‘unAustralian’ term all those years ago. I’ve long forgotten what it was that was and wasn’t unAustralian, the topic didn’t matter, it was the principle of it.

It should entirely depend on the content of what the Prime Minister is saying.

If a national crisis occurred, it wouldn't be unheard of for the Prime Minister to make a speech detailing how we should think and how we should behave. But it entirely depends on the merit of what is being said. If what they say has merit, then it can be seen as inspiring and a result of good leadership. If it's s**t, then it's s**t, and we should be disagreeing with the content and not the actual act.

But I can understand that it seems like micro managing. The way I see it, is that I respect Eddie and his passion for the club. If I respect someone, I tend to value their opinion, and put my ego aside. But I also use my own personal judgement to determine what is acceptable or not.

The notion that the president can't tell us how to behave, without magnifying onto the actual content of how he's telling us to behave and why he's saying it, is ignorant imo because it dismisses what he has to say, before he says it.

It should entirely depend on the content of what the Prime Minister is saying.

If a national crisis occurred, it wouldn't be unheard of for the Prime Minister to make a speech detailing how we should think and how we should behave. But it entirely depends on the merit of what is being said. If what they say has merit, then it can be seen as inspiring and a result of good leadership. If it's s**t, then it's s**t, and we should be disagreeing with the content and not the actual act.

Fair point.

I don’t think Collingwood is in crisis though.

But I can understand that it seems like micro managing. The way I see it, is that I respect Eddie and his passion for the club. If I respect someone, I tend to value their opinion, and put my ego aside. But I also use my own personal judgement to determine what is acceptable or not.

I respect Eddie a lot too.

I’ve expressed my thoughts on this in the thread, but I don’t think this is a huge deal TBH, it’s the darkest hours of the pre-season and Ted Summerton has put out a restraining order on me :(

The notion that the president can't tell us how to behave, without magnifying onto the actual content of how he's telling us to behave and why he's saying it, is ignorant imo because it dismisses what he has to say, before he says it.

It’s unnecessary IMO, a strong leader should be able to unite people without telling them so.

I reckon Ed should have been able to give a rousing, passionate speech to inspire the fans, without resorting to lecture us about what a true supporter is or isn’t. It would have been a lot more effective too.

Back