The club thinks we are all mugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
They sent me a personalised one way back in 2011, so obviously I've been in that category for a while

View attachment 702050
IMG_20190702_115123.jpg

Is your name Reebok?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unpopular opinion alert.

This bring back the bars stuff has gone too far, there's so much unrest in this thread seemingly related to that. It's creating unnecessary unrest. Move on people. We should be allowed to wear them on special occasions without any restriction, but it won't and it shouldn't ever be our number 1 AFL Guernsey. Not only did we accept moving on from the magpies for the right to play in the AFL, a trade I'd do again every single time, but we have to acknowledge we weren't the first magpies, and we don't need to just be seen as the 2nd AFL magpies, the smaller purely SA magpies. We're the Power, we wear the BiB, move on.

It is the Roosters' jumper design from the 40s up to the 70s, so I particularly don't think it is unique and should be the representative jumper of Port.

By the way, were you a supporter of another sanfl club prior to '97?

Last edited:

The Prison Bars is a Port Adelaide jumper. Not a Magpies jumper.

This. Fugger me.

Isn’t it conveniently logically inconsistent that whenever there’s talk of us wearing the powder blue & white hoops, or the magenta guernsey, you never hear: “they/we aren’t the Dustholians/Mudholians/Seaside Men/Cockledivers!”

Like, ever.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Regardless of whether the Bring Back The Bars movement succeeds or fails the next movement needs to be a movement to regain control of our club.

We need to form an alternative board to challenge. They need to be loud about the direction that the club should be taking creating a strong juxtaposition with the current board and attracting strong support from the fans.

We then need to petition the AFL relentlessly to get the control of the board back in the control of the members and our own board elected.

Yes it is unlikely, yes it might be pie in the sky but it is worth the shot.

There have been many opposition parties and alternative leadership's that have challenged dictators for years and often at great loss but eventually succeeded.

We aren't required to risk our lives just give a little of our time effort and energy to reclaim what is ours.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Amen to that.

The only way the current regime will be ousted is if the members organise themselves and take matters into their own hands. If several thousand members rallied on the steps at Alberton demanding Kochie's head the media would get involved and the heat would be applied. An anonymous truck load of chicken manure got a lot of publicity at Richmond many years ago.

Even if such action was unsuccessful it would at least give members the satisfaction of making a statement and let the Board and the Administration know that we are not 'mugs' and their snake oil salesmen tactics are not working.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Unpopular opinion alert.

This bring back the bars stuff has gone too far, there's so much unrest in this thread seemingly related to that. It's creating unnecessary unrest. Move on people. We should be allowed to wear them on special occasions without any restriction, but it won't and it shouldn't ever be our number 1 AFL Guernsey. Not only did we accept moving on from the magpies for the right to play in the AFL, a trade I'd do again every single time, but we have to acknowledge we weren't the first magpies, and we don't need to just be seen as the 2nd AFL magpies, the smaller purely SA magpies. We're the Power, we wear the BiB, move on.

I voted to join the AFL in 1990 and again in 1995/96. I have to say that at the time I voted that way because I did not want to see the PAFC playing in front of 1500 people at Alberton. I , and I am sure others, were convinced that our Club had earned the right to play in the best competition in the land, in fact I saw it as our destiny. You are right Coops, we voted knowing that we would have to leave the Magpies in the SANFL but these days I am beginning to doubt if we made the right decision. At the time I never for an instant thought I would ever hold any doubts but these days they are there.

I look at the PAFC and I see a Club wearing different colours, with a different nickname, with a different club song, with a different guernsey with a different club motto, a different mode of governance and all run by people who I consider to be a bunch of AFL approved corporate 'blow ins'. I have to wonder if it was all worth it and if we would not have been better off on a smaller stage, playing at Alberton, wearing our real jumper, singing 'Cheer, Cheer the Black and White' and Existing to Win Premierships albeit in a lesser competition.

If what we have become is allowed to continue much longer then what we once were is at risk of being forgotten.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
I voted to join the AFL in 1990 and again in 1995/96. I have to say that at the time I voted that way because I did not want to see the PAFC playing in front of 1500 people at Alberton. I , and I am sure others, were convinced that our Club had earned the right to play in the best competition in the land, in fact I saw it as our destiny. You are right Coops, we voted knowing that we would have to leave the Magpies in the SANFL but these days I am beginning to doubt if we made the right decision. At the time I never for an instant thought I would ever hold any doubts but these days they are there.

I look at the PAFC and I see a Club wearing different colours, with a different nickname, with a different club song, with a different guernsey with a different club motto, a different mode of governance and all run by people who I consider to be a bunch of AFL approved corporate 'blow ins'. I have to wonder if it was all worth it and if we would not have been better off on a smaller stage, playing at Alberton, wearing our real jumper, singing 'Cheer, Cheer the Black and White' and Existing to Win Premierships albeit in a lesser competition.

If what we have become is allowed to continue much longer then what we once were is at risk of being forgotten.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
>>. An anonymous truck load of chicken manure got a lot of publicity at Richmond many years ago.

chook factories in Wingfield nearby... anyone with a truck i can borrow?

Ross Oakley really ****ed us.

If Bucky knew the AFL had told the SANFL they were only going to accept our bid, we don’t spend so much treasure on it, and we don’t acquiesce to so many ridiculous demands, such as the SANFL appointing half our board and the divorce and subsequent Etheltonisation of the Magpies.

As an existing club there was no need to have the same governance structure as the Crows just cos’, and the Maggies could’ve stayed in-house with joint-marketing of memberships similar to what eventuated from 2010/11-onward anyway.

Regardless, we were playing seriously good catchup until the end of 2014, when everyone gulped down enough bathwater to green the Sahara.

Regardless of whether the Bring Back The Bars movement succeeds or fails the next movement needs to be a movement to regain control of our club.

At the risk of becoming the butt of this board's disdain for brand-speak, we are at a point where BBTB should pivot to be more than just the guernsey.

Bring Back The Bars is not just about wearing the guernsey, but also about the right to choose to wear it when we see fit.

Bring Back The Bars is about fighting for the right to express our identity as the only club outside of the VFL to be elevated to the AFL in its own right.

Bring Back The Bars is about returning to the things that made us a great club.

Bring Back The Bars is the beginning of the fight for the soul of our club.

Bring Back The Bars is about being Port Adelaide, not just saying "We are Port Adelaide".

They are not Port Adelaide. We are.

#BBTFB

This. Fugger me.

Isn’t it conveniently logically inconsistent that whenever there’s talk of us wearing the powder blue & white hoops, or the magenta guernsey, you never hear: “they/we aren’t the Dustholians/Mudholians/Seaside Men/Cockledivers!”

Like, ever.

Some guy on Facebook: "Hurr hurr, you used to wear pink lol. Wear that. Haaa."

Same guy on Facebook, 2 comments later: "Port Power is not the same club as Port Magpies. They're different."

Some guy on Facebook: "Hurr hurr, you used to wear pink lol. Wear that. Haaa."

Same guy on Facebook, 2 comments later: "Port Power is not the same club as Port Magpies. They're different."

The worst one was the genuinely outraged guy on Twitter circa the 2014 EF who was all, “I go Port Power not the Port Magpies!”

Logic:

Port Adelaide Football Club 1870-1996 located at the corner of Queen & Brougham = a disgusting den of devilish debauchery I wouldn’t barrack for against the Nazis

Port Power Happy Franchise 1997-Pres located at the corner of Queen & Brougham = taxiride.mp3 <3 <3

The worst one was the genuinely outraged guy on Twitter circa the 2014 EF who was all, “I go Port Power not the Port Magpies!”

Logic:

Port Adelaide Football Club 1870-1996 located at the corner of Queen & Brougham = a disgusting den of devilish debauchery I wouldn’t barrack for against the Nazis

Port Power Happy Franchise 1997-Pres located at the corner of Queen & Brougham = taxiride.mp3 <3 <3

Recently we've been having some interesting discussions about this around a particular guy who happens to be the VP of the Port Adelaide Cheer Squad. He's also a North Adelaide supporter in the SNAFL and a PAFC Heritage Denier. Actively argues against ex Port SANFL players coming to meet the Cheer Squad etc because "it's not the same club" etc. who is a solid supporter of the club and acknowledges the heritage of the club in the SANFL pre AFL. (see below for retraction)

I wonder how he maintains his dissonance when heading to Alberton every second week to prep the banners etc.

Edit 1:

I'm getting some conflicting info on this guy via DM, so I'll put a disclaimer on this until I get some clarity. Will post a retraction if I've been mistaken in his outlook.

Edit 2:

As it's been presented to me, the information I was given was absolutely incorrect about the Cheer Squad VP being against the Port heritage. I unreservedly apologise to the person in question for discrediting him in this manner and retract the comments about him being a 'PAFC heritage denier'.

I've spoken to a number of people to pass this on to him, and have spoken to Ben D at the club about it as well, which means the club is aware of the source of the information.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Recently we've been having some interesting discussions about this around a particular guy who happens to be the VP of the Port Adelaide Cheer Squad. He's also a North Adelaide supporter in the SNAFL and a PAFC Heritage Denier. Actively argues against ex Port SANFL players coming to meet the Cheer Squad etc because "it's not the same club" etc.

I wonder how he maintains his dissonance when heading to Alberton every second week to prep the banners etc.

Begs the question, how on earth did he get into that role.

There’s definitely people who came to Port from other SANFL clubs. Some are unfortunately like this guy, but plenty of them embrace the club’s history lock stock and barrel. In fact, in the case of the ones I’ve met the reason they came to Port Adelaide is because we have that history, we’re a “real club”.

To me, you can come from any footy background you like, but once you walk through the doors embracing the club’s history is a non-negotiable. Otherwise feel free to GTFO.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
Recently we've been having some interesting discussions about this around a particular guy who happens to be the VP of the Port Adelaide Cheer Squad. He's also a North Adelaide supporter in the SNAFL and a PAFC Heritage Denier. Actively argues against ex Port SANFL players coming to meet the Cheer Squad etc because "it's not the same club" etc.

we have a VP for the cheer squad..?

His banners must be expensive & mugs are paying?

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It never ceases to amaze and amuse me the number of crow types who either dismiss or ignore the assertions of PAFC legends like George Fiacchi, Tim Ginever etc that we are indeed the same club in the AFL that they played for and won premierships for in the SANFL.
Yet they’ll happily take the word of some nuffie cheer squad guy who supports North Adelaide as verifiable fact.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Amen to that.

The only way the current regime will be ousted is if the members organise themselves and take matters into their own hands. If several thousand members rallied on the steps at Alberton demanding Kochie's head the media would get involved and the heat would be applied. An anonymous truck load of chicken manure got a lot of publicity at Richmond many years ago.

Even if such action was unsuccessful it would at least give members the satisfaction of making a statement and let the Board and the Administration know that we are not 'mugs' and their snake oil salesmen tactics are not working.

As time goes on it is getting more apparent that there is little point getting Kochie's head if we don't get to choose his successors.

We need to start thinking about the war not the battle.

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
why don't us keyboard warriors start something..? not just sit on a warm chair on a wet wintry day & pound the keyboards

I'm surprised Iain Wilson puts up with such tomfoolery.

why don't us keyboard warriors start something..? not just sit on a warm chair on a wet wintry day & pound the keyboards

Like what? The governance structure of the club means we currently have less power to effect change than a Saudi dissident.

Beyond voicing disapproval in surveys and emails there’s not much scope for excrement-coated pitchforks.

As time goes on it is getting more apparent that there is little point getting Kochie's head if we don't get to choose his successors.

We need to start thinking about the war not the battle.
Kochie’s head would be the worst part of him to get.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
By the way, were you a supporter of another sanfl club prior to '97?
No. I'm a 4th generation Port supporter, and spent my younger years in the outer at Alberton oval on Saturday afternoons.

I love the PB guernsey, it represents some of the greatest years of our club and I believe we should have control of the use of that guernsey as a throwback guernsey.

However I also grew up through that phase when we made that brave call to avoid becoming irrelevant and to push into the AFL. It was a no brainer, and the obvious decision was that we needed to accept moving on from being the Magpies, and wearing B&W stripes. It was a very small price to pay, for the privilege of remaining relevant whilst Norwood epitomizes the alternative, a club that is now nothing but a feeder team for us and other AFL clubs.

I'm fully behind any push to wear the PBs on special occasions to honour our heritage. However any push to make it our permanent home guernsey i do not support. We have moved forward, and I disagree completely with a lot of the comments about wearing it making us more Port Adelaide, etc, and also anyone that thinks that we won't just be seen by the larger AFL market as just that 2nd B&W team. The small fish in the small SA pond.

It's an unpopular opinion, but it's mine.

At the risk of becoming the butt of this board's disdain for brand-speak, we are at a point where BBTB should pivot to be more than just the guernsey.

Bring Back The Bars is not just about wearing the guernsey, but also about the right to choose to wear it when we see fit.

Bring Back The Bars is about fighting for the right to express our identity as the only club outside of the VFL to be elevated to the AFL in its own right.

Bring Back The Bars is about returning to the things that made us a great club.

Bring Back The Bars is the beginning of the fight for the soul of our club.

Bring Back The Bars is about being Port Adelaide, not just saying "We are Port Adelaide".

They are not Port Adelaide. We are.

#BBTFB
BBTB is about IDENTITY.

Other Club items in no particular order that are about Identity, too:

Alberton Oval
The Port Club
The Great Man
Jack
Gentleman Geof
The Williams Dynasty
Alfie

Club items that are the polar opposite to PAFC Identity: