The club thinks we are all mugs.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like what? The governance structure of the club means we currently have less power to effect change than a Saudi dissident.

Beyond voicing disapproval in surveys and emails there’s not much scope for excrement-coated pitchforks.

We could start a website for an alternative board of the PAFC.

Get nominations.

Allow people to vote in the alternative board with proof of membership

Create alternative policies and policy statements.

Create an online campaign where members can register their support for the alternative board.

And then just bombard AFL house and the media with demands that we regain our voting rights so we can elect our own alternative board.

* I wouldn't want to do it yet though. Best not to muddy the waters with the BBTB campaign.

Last edited:
I'm fully behind any push to wear the PBs on special occasions to honour our heritage.

Then you support the BBTB campaign.

Edit: I'm getting some conflicting info on this guy via DM, so I'll put a disclaimer on this until I get some clarity. Will post a retraction if I've been mistaken in his outlook.

Yeah, I'm thinking a retraction may be the way to go on this one.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies

Yep I hear what Raptalia is saying but I like being on the national stage. I luuuv hearing and seeing Port in the premier sporting code of the country. What I don’t like is us being an embarrassing in debt middle of the road also ran who seem satisfied that it’s our destiny because we’re led to believe that’s good enough. I don’t like being hijacked by self serving career blow-ins for whom the status quo is an agenda we should accept.

The bars and our great PAFC Magpies are our birth rite our DNA whose achievements are written in stone but we reached for a higher station. As Tredz says adapt or die.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Yeah, I'm thinking a retraction may be the way to go on this one.
It's going to take some pretty special logic gymnastics to justify wearing a North Adelaide guernsey to the Geelong game if this person isn't an actively against the #bringbackthebars campaign and anti-Port Adelaide heritage.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm fully behind any push to wear the PBs on special occasions to honour our heritage. However any push to make it our permanent home guernsey i do not support. We have moved forward, and I disagree completely with a lot of the comments about wearing it making us more Port Adelaide, etc, and also anyone that thinks that we won't just be seen by the larger AFL market as just that 2nd B&W team. The small fish in the small SA pond.

It's an unpopular opinion, but it's mine.

Just on this again, I can't stress enough how unimportant it is how we're viewed by the wider AFL community compared to how we're viewed by our own supporters.

Branding isn't about winning new supporters. You do that by being successful. Branding is about engaging your existing support and getting them to feel like they belong.

We've spent over 20 years with a branding that is fine, but certainly isn't using our enormous history to it's full potential.

Our home guernseys at AFL level are a 90s monstrosity, that was replaced by a nice but ultimately soulless conservative reaction to our 90s monstrosity. Meanwhile we've got an objectively wonderful guernsey design that is the heart and soul to our identity over 150 years sitting in the sheds unused.

It's not right.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No. I'm a 4th generation Port supporter, and spent my younger years in the outer at Alberton oval on Saturday afternoons.

I love the PB guernsey, it represents some of the greatest years of our club and I believe we should have control of the use of that guernsey as a throwback guernsey.

However I also grew up through that phase when we made that brave call to avoid becoming irrelevant and to push into the AFL. It was a no brainer, and the obvious decision was that we needed to accept moving on from being the Magpies, and wearing B&W stripes. It was a very small price to pay, for the privilege of remaining relevant whilst Norwood epitomizes the alternative, a club that is now nothing but a feeder team for us and other AFL clubs.

I'm fully behind any push to wear the PBs on special occasions to honour our heritage. However any push to make it our permanent home guernsey i do not support. We have moved forward, and I disagree completely with a lot of the comments about wearing it making us more Port Adelaide, etc, and also anyone that thinks that we won't just be seen by the larger AFL market as just that 2nd B&W team. The small fish in the small SA pond.

It's an unpopular opinion, but it's mine.

I recall your `unpopular opinion' from 6 or so years back that Tom Jonas would never be any better than snafl standard as a player.
looks like you may not have been too far off the mark on that one cookie boy. ;)

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just on this again, I can't stress enough how unimportant it is how we're viewed by the wider AFL community compared to how we're viewed by our own supporters.

Branding isn't about winning new supporters. You do that by being successful. Branding is about engaging your existing support and getting them to feel like they belong.
Isn't it $1 to $5 the general ratio of what it 'costs' to hold a customer versus get a new one? Of the many things that shits me about the current regime, it's for a President whose supposedly financially savvy, he can't see (/won't see) how the PB's has a direct positive effect on the bottom line with Membership retention AND merchandise sales. Even if his personal preference is the BIB the club should have done up some preliminary figures once the heard about the campaign and spitballed this. We truly are blessed to be led by a combination of arrogance and ineptitude.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's going to take some pretty special logic gymnastics to justify wearing a North Adelaide guernsey to the Geelong game if this person isn't an actively against the #bringbackthebars campaign and anti-Port Adelaide heritage.
That is factually incorrect in more ways then one, actually the whole premise is of what has been discussed on here about a particular person is wrong. The person never wore a North Adelaide guernsey to the Geelong game, and for that to even get around shows that gossip is quickly masquerading as fact which is standard for a online forum, or this whole conversation is serving a agenda for someone or something else entirely.

Having read this thread this morning and had a interest in it as I know the person being spoken of quite well, who is a good bloke and friend, and a passionate Port Adelaide and North Adelaide fan ,and I will go to bat for them in this instance.

They support the fans prison bar campaign, and the club. Does it really matter that they are a North Adelaide fan in the SANFL? Each to their own in that regard, the fact they are the VP in the cheer squad is a non factor also. But some of what has been posted here is utter bullshit. And rather then source the fact, or think about the person in question, some are quick to spread utter nonsense, what it serves I don't know, nor do I hold a interest in.

I'll happily cop the crap for defending a mate, but I won't sit by and read absolute nonsense get pushed out without it being checked as fact.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
That is factually incorrect in more ways then one, actually the whole premise is of what has been discussed on here about a particular person is wrong. The person never wore a North Adelaide guernsey to the Geelong game, and for that to even get around shows that gossip is quickly masquerading as fact which is standard for a online forum, or this whole conversation is serving a agenda for someone or something else entirely.

Having read this thread this morning and had a interest in it as I know the person being spoken of quite well, who is a good bloke and friend, and a passionate Port Adelaide and North Adelaide fan ,and I will go to bat for them in this instance.

They support the fans prison bar campaign, and the club. Does it really matter that they are a North Adelaide fan in the SANFL? Each to their own in that regard, the fact they are the VP in the cheer squad is a non factor also. But some of what has been posted here is utter bulls**t. And rather then source the fact, or think about the person in question, some are quick to spread utter nonsense, what it serves I don't know, nor do I hold a interest in.

I'll happily cop the crap for defending a mate, but I won't sit by and read absolute nonsense get pushed out without it being checked as fact.

No, that clears a few things up and changes the key point of the issue. If he didn't wear a North guernsey and supports the history of the PAFC, then the initial information posted on here was incorrect and I fully retract what I've said.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
0F8471B2-5C6A-4864-9EA6-C85E64AFE220.png

The club thumbs it’s nose at supporters and only cares when it’s time to pay up fees or a convention is due. Alberton has been the same for years. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. "Ups and downs". "Young group". "Tough league". "Someone has to lose". Common denominator- the coach and the Board.

The moment this club or whoever decided to extend Hinkley need to be shown the door. Those supporters who continue to give the mantra Hinkley the person for the club are blindly flying the flag and will be shocked with a bad outcome at the end. Something we seen time and time again. This is his team, his players, his philosophy. 7 years of sometimes being good isn’t cutting it

No finals 7 of the last 10 years, no finals win since 2014, scoreless quarters are now what we known for and he continues to blame players for everything. Port Adelaide has to be as amateurish as they come

Yet Kochie has the guts to actually still blame players. Between KT emails and the club survey the denial is in full swing. Brace yourself for membership numbers to drop and attendance

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
It has been clear for a long time that the governance structure of the club is the key issue facing us as a membership.

The club is doing a great job at meeting the needs of its key stakeholder, it is just that that stakeholder is the AFL and not the club members. The AFL appoint the board and those directors appoint the chairman. The AFL even appoint the "member elected" directors. Directors are recommended by the club to the AFL and the club normally accepts the outcome of the vote in making those recommendations. The chairman is doing what he can to run the club in the way that the AFL require, which is to grow revenue sources to reduce financial reliance on the AFL, follow the rules, avoid controversy and don't rock the boat.

You are not getting the club going in to bat for you regarding the PBs because the club is not on your side.

We need to get out of the "special arrangements" that we were placed into when we took $10M from the AFL. This means continuing to run the club in a financially stable way, but most importantly it needs a club executive that WANTS it to happen.

When was the last time anyone from the club was asked what they had done to return the club to the members ? If we want to achieve change as a membership we need to be asking these questions in a really annoying repetitive way.

My idea for how to achieve this is through the auto-renewal process. There are 30,000 members or auto-renew each year. We can ring the club now and not cancel your membership, just cancel the auto-renewal and make it clear that renewal each year will be based on progress towards returning the club to the members. This costs the club nothing in the short term, but if next month at the board meeting there is a report that 5,000 members cancelled their auto-renewal, all giving the same reason as a lack of control by members over the governance of the club then the message gets through.

If you as a member own the governance of the club you can go your hardest on whatever issue you have. You can waste money sacking a coach or changing the jumper or appointing one captain or whatever. The powerlessness you feel is because you are indeed powerless. But Richmond supporters get to vote for their board, so do Collingwood. Sydney used to be like us and now get to elect their board. Why not us ?

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
View attachment 703060

The club thumbs it’s nose at supporters and only cares when it’s time to pay up fees or a convention is due. Alberton has been the same for years. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. "Ups and downs". "Young group". "Tough league". "Someone has to lose". Common denominator- the coach and the Board.

The moment this club or whoever decided to extend Hinkley need to be shown the door. Those supporters who continue to give the mantra Hinkley the person for the club are blindly flying the flag and will be shocked with a bad outcome at the end. Something we seen time and time again. This is his team, his players, his philosophy. 7 years of sometimes being good isn’t cutting it

No finals 7 of the last 10 years, no finals win since 2014, scoreless quarters are now what we known for and he continues to blame players for everything. Port Adelaide has to be as amateurish as they come

Yet Kochie has the guts to actually still blame players. Between KT emails and the club survey the denial is in full swing. Brace yourself for membership numbers to drop and attendance

I will go if I can take my pitch fork!

They support the fans prison bar campaign, and the club. Does it really matter that they are a North Adelaide fan in the SANFL? Each to their own in that regard, the fact they are the VP in the cheer squad is a non factor also. But some of what has been posted here is utter bulls**t. And rather then source the fact, or think about the person in question, some are quick to spread utter nonsense, what it serves I don't know, nor do I hold a interest in.

I appreciate you raising this and there's no hesitation from me in posting a retraction
(see the edited post here: BomberClifford, you were wrong. )

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Slam shut a premiership window, trash beloved club traditions, alienate/antagonise passionate supporters then hastily organise a furious spin session to pay lip-service to everyone’s growing concerns:

Such is Port, I guess!

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
KT comes across as a minion regurgitating party line horse **** it's all just fluff even Timmy G couldn't stop me switching off.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies

They support the fans prison bar campaign, and the club. Does it really matter that they are a North Adelaide fan in the SANFL? Each to their own
Yep
One of the leading faces in our AFL cheersquad is a passionate South Adelaide supporter. Footy brings a lot of flavours together
in this funny old world we live in.

At the risk of becoming the butt of this board's disdain for brand-speak, we are at a point where BBTB should pivot to be more than just the guernsey.

Bring Back The Bars is not just about wearing the guernsey, but also about the right to choose to wear it when we see fit.

Bring Back The Bars is about fighting for the right to express our identity as the only club outside of the VFL to be elevated to the AFL in its own right.

Bring Back The Bars is about returning to the things that made us a great club.

Bring Back The Bars is the beginning of the fight for the soul of our club.

Bring Back The Bars is about being Port Adelaide, not just saying "We are Port Adelaide".

They are not Port Adelaide. We are.

#BBTFB

Wasn’t that the we are Port Adelaide One club initiative?

We need another already.

Feb 13, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep
One of the leading faces in our AFL cheersquad is a passionate South Adelaide supporter. Footy brings a lot of flavours together
in this funny old world we live in.

Back in our dark days there was one committee member who played a pretty important role to the cheer squad who is a diehard Norwood supporter. In those days you'd be lucky enough to find enough people to fill the committee. I have no issues what SANFL clubs our members support as long as they are doing the right thing by the club.

At the end of the day if anyone thinks they can do a better job then join the cheer squad, and nominate for the position and pitch your case when the time comes. These are voluntary positions after all, so these people are choosing to dedicate their time to try and improve the club during not only game days but off the field too. Whether it be raising money for the club at family days, or trying to get as many people involved as possible during, before and after the games.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, that clears a few things up and changes the key point of the issue. If he didn't wear a North guernsey and supports the history of the PAFC, then the initial information posted on here was incorrect and I fully retract what I've said.

To clarify, the VC of the cheer squad wore a North scarfe. I have had two cheer squad members confirm it and confirm that he opposes our Magpies history using examples of situations. They disagree with the claims that are contrary with the above.

Back