The club thinks we are all mugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

The survey on the uniform says it all. The number one option is the teal abomination (Probably put there by Kochie and Cos Cardone). Cant bring themselves to call the Prison Bars the Prison Bars.

The number one guernsey for the captain being removed and then the co-captains not facing the music in post game interviews.

The CEO sending us an email of sentence paragraphs after a win, then disappearing.

The Chairman regularly belittling a club that regularly has top 8 attendance averages in Australia. Why? WHY?

The lack of fight for our interests by those tasked with that responsibility.

The LOL tweet after our loss to Fremantle. What the **** was that s**t?

It doesn't take much to get the fans on side, were fans of the club, but this year the administration has repeatedly spat in our face.
Port barrackers called me "racist" when I refered to the guernsey as "Prison Bars" on Facebook. Believe It ir not, it happened.

Onfield it’s as if we’re being positioned as a generic Big Bash franchise where everyone goes to Adelaide Oval to see a few hours of jolly good fun, doesn’t take it too seriously and therefore no-one gets upset or rowdy enough to raise the ire of security and the perpetually-offended.

Off-field we’re being gaslighted into accepting permanent status as a small-to-midmarket team happy to bend to Collingwood, Adelaide and the SMA’s will on matters of branding, rivalry and revenues like the little old blue collar underdog we never ****ing were.

You see, it turns out standing up for yourself, securing sponsors, hiring the right blokes, promoting the right captainseseses and winning enough games to supply your members with some joy more than once a decade is hard.

See you at the footy!

Remember when we asserted ourselves and our identity and got the team kitted out in the prison bars for an elimination final with barely a week’s notice.......then rolled into the following pre-season wearing that Sturt looking teal blue thing...?
That was us capitulating.

This was the Yes Minister survey. Designed to give the results they want. Stuff them, I still used everywhere I could to lay into them.
5 words I broke that with going below for 3 of them:
Historically : Strong, Now : Weak
Historically : Bold, Now : Cowardly
Historically : Successful, Now : Mediocre

Their attempts to exclude us criticising anything non-Membership department related in comment areas I also did as them to pass onto the board, KT, Koch and Ken various complaints. I'm not letting these shits jam my views into a preconceived 'We hear your pain, now have a teal coloured lollipop and see you at the Footy!' response from KT about the results in a month.

SURVEY SAID:

"You said you are feeling negative towards the club, why is that?"

I SAID:

We have had the same CHAIRMAN, CEO, and SENIOR COACH since 2013.

We have had NO SUCCESS since the end of 2014, in that...

We have made finals ONCE in the last 5 years (i do not expect we will this year) and have not won a final in that time.

We have turned over nearly all ASSISTANT COACHES, and about HALF the playing list since 2014 - with ZERO success to show for it

I do not appreciate spending a fair whack of time and money watching the Club i love lose predictably over and over again.

I do not accept the constant capitulation on field.

I do not accept 'season ending injuries to critical/senior players' (nor the suspensions of 2016 for that matter) as valid excuses for the lack of success over this time.

I do not accept the WATERING DOWN of PAFC that has occured in the past 5 years, including (but not limited to): the appointment of CO-CAPTIANS, the President continually referring to us as a 'LITTLE OLD BLUE COLLAR SUBURBAN CLUB' or words to that affect (plus other blustering comments such as GOLD COAST WILL WEAR THE CLASH), the head coach constantly saying 'FULL CREDIT TO OUR OPPOSITION' and/or 'HOW EVEN IS THE COMPETITION?' every time we lose

I do not accept the lack ability to attract major sponsors.

I do not accept giving a contract extension to the Senior Coach at the end of 2017

I do not accept what seems to be the deliberate muting by the club of the push by the fans to allow us to wear our traditional wharf pylon guernsey (also known as the PRISON BARS - NOT 'Black and White Stripes, seriously who wrote that!?), and the comments by the CEO that 'we don't want to wear them fulltime'

I do not accept constant failure to make the finals consistently, let alone WIN A PREMIERSHIP (Which, by the way, this is why we exist, plus it's a great start to making the community proud)

I do not accept that members are only able to appoint 2 people to the board. Regardless if this is an AFL led directive, it's time we pushed back.

I do not accept that we appear to constantly kowtow to the AFL and Eddie McGuire (why do we have Cos Cardone, CEO of Eddie McGuire's Company, on our board? This is a conflict of interest).

It is time the Club grew some balls and stood up for themselves (this doesn't mean our Chairman making more ill-informed comments)

It is time the Club became the ruthless PORT ADELAIDE I grew up supporting in the 80's. It is barely a poor replica of the somewhat successful early 2000's AFL CLUB

It is time the Coach must go and the Chairman go with him.

It is time the Club listened to its supporters.

In closing, one of my earliest memory's of supporting Port Adelaide is the controversy surrounding the sacking of Russell Ebert (a champion of the club and a favorite son) at the end of 1987. This is after finishing 15-7, 2nd on the ladder at the end of the season. He had failed to win a final in 3 years. NOW THAT IS THE RUTHLESS CLUB THAT SPAWNED SUCCESS

Now is the time to be ruthless and fix it before the Club dissolves into a sea of our own insipid lukewarm vomit.

The above might be harsh words, and it should be noted that I do not have any personal feelings of dislike for Ken, Koch or Keith. However, the continual mediocrity must end.

SURVEY SAID:

I SAID:

We have made finals ONCE in the last 5 years (i do not expect we will this year) and have not won a final in that time.

We have turned over nearly all ASSISTANT COACHES, and about HALF the playing list since 2014 - with ZERO success to show for it

I do not appreciate spending a fair whack of time and money watching the Club i love lose predictably over and over again.

I do not accept 'season ending injuries to critical/senior players' (nor the suspensions of 2016 for that matter) as valid excuses for the lack of success over this time.

I do not accept the WATERING DOWN of PAFC that has occured in the past 5 years, including (but not limited to): the appointment of CO-CAPTIANS, the President continually referring to us as a 'LITTLE OLD BLUE COLLAR SUBURBAN CLUB' or words to that affect (plus other blustering comments such as GOLD COAST WILL WEAR THE CLASH), the head coach constantly saying 'FULL CREDIT TO OUR OPPOSITION' and/or 'HOW EVEN IS THE COMPETITION?' every time we lose

I do not accept giving a contract extension to the Senior Coach at the end of 2017

I do not accept what seems to be the deliberate muting by the club of the push by the fans to allow us to wear our traditional wharf pylon guernsey (also known as the PRISON BARS - NOT 'Black and White Stripes, seriously who wrote that!?), and the comments by the CEO that 'we don't want to wear them fulltime'

I do not accept constant failure to make the finals consistently, let alone WIN A PREMIERSHIP (Which, by the way, this is why we exist, plus it's a great start to making the community proud)

I do not accept that members are only able to appoint 2 people to the board. Regardless if this is an AFL led directive, it's time we pushed back.

I do not accept that we appear to constantly kowtow to the AFL and Eddie McGuire (why do we have Cos Cardone, CEO of Eddie McGuire's Company, on our board? This is a conflict of interest).

It is time the Club grew some balls and stood up for themselves (this doesn't mean our Chairman making more ill-informed comments)

It is time the Club became the ruthless PORT ADELAIDE I grew up supporting in the 80's. It is barely a poor replica of the somewhat successful early 2000's AFL CLUB

In closing, one of my earliest memory's of supporting Port Adelaide is the controversy surrounding the sacking of Russell Ebert (a champion of the club and a favorite son) at the end of 1987. This is after finishing 15-7, 2nd on the ladder at the end of the season. He had failed to win a final in 3 years. NOW THAT IS THE RUTHLESS CLUB THAT SPAWNED SUCCESS

Now is the time to be ruthless and fix it before the Club dissolves into a sea of our own insipid lukewarm vomit.

The above might be harsh words, and it should be noted that I do not have any personal feelings of dislike for Ken, Koch or Keith. However, the continual mediocrity must end.
My answer to the same question:

General attitude of disrespect towards members from senior figures (President, CEO, Head Coach, Co-Captains):
- Co-Captains: Head Coach & President made arrogant assertions regarding members prioritising tradition over success and mockingly suggested we (the members) leave such decisions to the paid professionals in charge, then proved completely unable to justify how installing Co-Captains would lead to greater on-field success. Predictably, this decision has had no measurable impact on our ability to win close games or consistently play 4 quarters of football. The only measurable outcomes has been the tarnishing of two solid footballers as weak leaders, the trashing of one of the few remaining unique port Adelaide traditions and a disenfranchised supporter base.
- Accountability & Professionalism: Co-Captains & President have termed valid member criticism as 'White Noise' & 'Trolling'. There appears to be no accountability for failure or improvement within the club. We expect to win. For 5 years we have had a <25% success rate against top 8 sides, and have not won a final in spite or record investment in the football department and a top 4 quality list. This year we have added goal-less quarters (36%) to our repertoire. When we don't win, we expect the club to have an understanding of why, and how it will be rectified. Demanding this is not 'trolling'. It is not 'white noise'.
- The Prison Bars. CEO stated we do not want to wear the prison bars. Who is 'we' Keith? The members want to. The players want to. Is 'we' Collingwood? Is 'we' the SANFL? Is 'we' the President, or Collingwood's member of our board? It is certainly not Port Adelaide.
- The little, blue collar club. President continually refers to PAFC as a battling, blue collar football club. We are top 8 for attendances, membership & football department spend. We have won more first class premierships than any other club. Period. We are the only non-VFL club to force it's way into the national competition through sheer dominance. We are a powerhouse. We need to act like it.

You say you want to the most engaged supporters in the league. You already have them. We know our footy, inside and out. But, so many recent decisions, taken without consultation, actively disenfranchise members. You want engaged fans? It's simple.
- Treat members with respect. We know football, we know Port Adelaide and we expect success.
- Be open, be accountable. When things go wrong, tell us. Then fix it.
- Stand up for us. Fight for Port Adelaide, for what makes us unique. Stand up for our stories history and enviable tradition.

SURVEY SAID:

I SAID:

My answer was shorter, but along the same lines. I led with Be Port Adelaide. Paraphrasing much of the same - stop talking down the club, embrace our history and stop insulting our intelligence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My answer to the same question:

General attitude of disrespect towards members from senior figures (President, CEO, Head Coach, Co-Captains):
- Co-Captains: Head Coach & President made arrogant assertions regarding members prioritising tradition over success and mockingly suggested we (the members) leave such decisions to the paid professionals in charge, then proved completely unable to justify how installing Co-Captains would lead to greater on-field success. Predictably, this decision has had no measurable impact on our ability to win close games or consistently play 4 quarters of football. The only measurable outcomes has been the tarnishing of two solid footballers as weak leaders, the trashing of one of the few remaining unique port Adelaide traditions and a disenfranchised supporter base.
- Accountability & Professionalism: Co-Captains & President have termed valid member criticism as 'White Noise' & 'Trolling'. There appears to be no accountability for failure or improvement within the club. We expect to win. For 5 years we have had a - The Prison Bars. CEO stated we do not want to wear the prison bars. Who is 'we' Keith? The members want to. The players want to. Is 'we' Collingwood? Is 'we' the SANFL? Is 'we' the President, or Collingwood's member of our board? It is certainly not Port Adelaide.
- The little, blue collar club. President continually refers to PAFC as a battling, blue collar football club. We are top 8 for attendances, membership & football department spend. We have won more first class premierships than any other club. Period. We are the only non-VFL club to force it's way into the national competition through sheer dominance. We are a powerhouse. We need to act like it.

You say you want to the most engaged supporters in the league. You already have them. We know our footy, inside and out. But, so many recent decisions, taken without consultation, actively disenfranchise members. You want engaged fans? It's simple.
- Treat members with respect. We know football, we know Port Adelaide and we expect success.
- Be open, be accountable. When things go wrong, tell us. Then fix it.
- Stand up for us. Fight for Port Adelaide, for what makes us unique. Stand up for our stories history and enviable tradition.
Close to what I said. Also added make the opposition hate us again. Not feel sorry for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Close to what I said. Also added make the opposition hate us again. Not feel sorry for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm obviously not well-schooled in Port history, but didn't we used to thrive on the "everyone who isn't us hates us" vibe? Seemed to work ok in the past.

my contribution to the final question (anything else to add, or similar):

I think our football club has completely lost it's direction. We are mediocre on field and off. The administration of the club don't seem to respect, or even understand our culture and I am concerned that what made us unique is very close to being lost forever. We now feel like SA franchise number 2. And although this is not the fault of the membership department I would like my feedback to be listened to by someone. I want the leaders of this club to be fighting for the things that are important to members - like being able to represent our own identity how we want to, and not be bullied by others like Collingwood and the AFL. Stop being so meek and insipid.

If we do not use our black and white bars guernsey as a significant part of our 150 year celebrations then I don't want us to do anything. Nothing will make me more furious with this club than if we parade around in a blue and white hooped guernsey that is completely meaningless to every living Port Adelaide supporter, but don't wear our beloved bars guernsey on multiple occasions.
Finally - the coach is not up to the job and if he's still here next year I despair for what our membership numbers will be - good luck with that. Unless we start acting like the Port Adelaide Football Club (established 1870) then anything the membership department does is irrelevant.

By trying to become something we were never born to be has destroyed the very fabric & identity of the club. It’s a sad state of affairs to see how far we have departed from the foundational principals which propelled us to greatness. A hard won legacy that made us universally feared, revered, & highly respected throughout the Australian sporting culture.

Our uncompromising, fearless, tough, & relentless approach to the game had the uncanny ability of putting the opposition on the back foot before the ball was even bounced. Sure we put up the odd poor performance here & there, but we never made piss weak excuses, or limp apologies for our shortfalls. The club & supporters all knew where they stood, there was a unity, a bond, & a shared understanding of what was acceptable & what wasn’t.

I bloody well cringe at what we’ve become today, the rapid descent into mediocrity & irrelevance, which sadly, has predominantly been self inflicted. Make no mistake, Koch has been an unmitigated disaster for the club, & he should be the first to walk. I like Keith as a person, but his constant cheerleading of mediocrity has reached nauseating levels. Under his watch we’ve seen Ken’s contract extended on the back of underwhelming results, the infuriating Co-captains debacle, & the limp waisted approach to the Prison Bars debate. See ya Keith.

That leaves us with Ken, who just might be the most un Port Adelaide like Coach the club has ever had, even surpassing Primus who had some legitimate excuses. I’ve been saving a beautiful bottle of Penfolds Shiraz for the right occasion. That bottle will be joyfully uncorked the day Ken walks out the doors of Alberton for good.

Just completed the survey and was thanked for completing the first of our 2018 Port Adelaide Member survey. WTF.
It must have been lost at the back of the same pigeon hole as the 2018 Year Book.

There has been a deliberate move this year by the administration of the club to actively defy the supporter base. As tribey has perfectly analogised, we're being gaslighted in terms of success and have been for several years. But it's worse this year. This year they're actively throwing it back in our faces and trying to control the narrative against the unrest that they've allowed to fester through their inaction and incompetence.

When people criticise people that aren't attending, this is why they aren't attending. People will put up with a bad football side, but they won't put up with dishonesty. Not like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back