Win Prizes The Coach Pool - Predict the first coach sacked in 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach:
Brad Scott.
Date:
May 5th (after they lose to GC at home)
Replacements:
1. Leigh Tudor.
2. Nathan Bassett.
3. Mark Williams.
4. Simon Goodwin.
5. Brett Ratten.

Don't expect any coach to be tipped out this year - for the sake of entering.....

Coach: Brendan McCartney
Date: 24 June (or end of season)

Replacements:
Bassett
Rob Harvey
Shaun Hart
Brad Miller
Goodwin
Bindi Irwin

Bonus Round: Assistant Rising
Steven King, W Bulldogs, Round 15

Great
It would come from a lower team. In this post I'll work from the bottom of the ladder, up:

Demons, lions, eagles, and saints already sacked theirs. GWS and Gold Coast are both safe, although Gold Coast is the most vulnerable from this group as they're expecting improvement now, but they're also conscious about their image and are at the call of the AFL.

The next four lowest sides are:

Dogs... Crows... Norf... Blues...

I think Brad Scott has a great profile and will not be sacked from Norf, even if they have a poor year, they'll honour his contract because he seems like a good coach so they already blew their load over him long term.

Carlton and Malthouse... He's safe, he can do what he wants, he's earned the right to honour his contract, and there's no Carlton great being groomed for the role to stab him in the back.

So that leaves two clubs: Adelaide and Bulldogs. If they finish in the bottom 6-7, there's every chance they'll both be sacked. The crows are less likely to sack because he got them into the top 4 recently and had all those penalties... But they should improve.

Then you've got Essendon (safe), port (safe), Collingwood (pretty safe, because he's a favourite son - even Voss got 5 years) and Richmond (safe for at least another year even if they miss finals)

Then the top 4 teams are safe, with Hawthorn a very low chance of seeking a fresh new direction if they miss finals.

So by the deductions made in this post I vote for the Bulldogs to sack their coach after a poor season. Gold Coast are a chance and Adelaide need to be competitive to be safe.

With few positions available, a quality new coach would find it difficult to find a top job and this could encourage a middle of the road club to make a surprise sacking to get someone of significant value if such a coach is on the market. It's one oft he few times when a poor club doesn't have to compete with a bigger club for a coach's services. The bulldogs are definitely the most likely club to seek a better coach and may be the only buyer in the market.
Great summation.

The next four lowest sides are:

Dogs... Crows... Norf... Blues...

I think Brad Scott has a great profile and will not be sacked from Norf, even if they have a poor year, they'll honour his contract because he seems like a good coach so they already blew their load over him long term.

Carlton and Malthouse... He's safe, he can do what he wants, he's earned the right to honour his contract, and there's no Carlton great being groomed for the role to stab him in the back.

So that leaves two clubs: Adelaide and Bulldogs. If they finish in the bottom 6-7, there's every chance they'll both be sacked. The crows are less likely to sack because he got them into the top 4 recently and had all those penalties... But they should improve.

Then you've got Essendon (safe), port (safe), Collingwood (pretty safe, because he's a favourite son - even Voss got 5 years) and Richmond (safe for at least another year even if they miss finals)

Then the top 4 teams are safe, with Hawthorn a very low chance of seeking a fresh new direction if they miss finals.

So by the deductions made in this post I vote for the Bulldogs to sack their coach after a poor season. Gold Coast are a chance and Adelaide need to be competitive to be safe.

The Age has a different take on this:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-coaches-who-is-under-most-pressure-20140122-317vd.html

They rate the coaching positions at Richmond, Carlton, Pies, Sydney and North all as being under more pressure than the positions at Crows and Bulldogs.

Are you aware that Sanderson's initial contract at the Crows was originally due to end after this year (2014), but the Crows have already extended by two years (Sanderson is now contracted to end of 2016)?

The clock's ticking on Bluey McKenna, I see a parting of the ways there.

The Paul Roos tenure could conceivably blow up at Melbourne if he locks horns with the administration.
Sanderson and Macartney need to deliver at Adelaide and the Bulldogs, or they'll be looking over their shoulders.
Can't see Brad Scott being sacked, North should make progress in 2014.

At our club, John Longmire needs to deliver a solid top four result with the list we've built in the last couple of years. Enough of this long bombing onto the full forward's head.

Coach: James Hird
Date: 21st August
Replacements:
1. Mark Thompson
2. Mark Williams
3. Matty Lloyd
4. Stewie Dew
5. Leigh Tudor

Coach : Mick Malthouse
Date : June 30
Replacements
1. Mark Williams
2. Robert Harvey
3. Bassett
4. Mark Thimpson
5. Mathew Knights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Age has a different take on this:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-coaches-who-is-under-most-pressure-20140122-317vd.html

They rate the coaching positions at Richmond, Carlton, Pies, Sydney and North all as being under more pressure than the positions at Crows and Bulldogs.

Are you aware that Sanderson's initial contract at the Crows was originally due to end after this year (2014), but the Crows have already extended by two years (Sanderson is now contracted to end of 2016)?

I personally believe I may have thought about it a little deeper than the particular journalist did for The Age.

Sydney and North won't sack their coaches before the Bulldogs.

I didn't know that Sanderson received a contract until 2016, in that case he's as safe as Brad Scott and seems to have the faith of the club. The Dogs make the most sense for a new coach and they might attract a good one if they're the only ones. Of course, a good year means he's safe. I've gone under the assumption the team under-performs how likely is the coach to be sacked? Someone like Hardwick could fail miserably and Richmond would never sack him this year, so I don't know what criteria The Age use and even then they haven't factored in something if they think the Richmond coach is more at risk than the Bulldogs coach.

Guy McKenna
August 25
Replacements:
Mark Williams
Leigh Tudor
Brett Ratten
Nathan Bassett
Malcolm Blight

Assistant Rising: Matthew Primus, Gold Coast, Round 23

Why does everyone expect Brad Scott to be sacked? General consensus seems to be they'll take it to the next level.
He's signed on until 2016 and North don't have the funds necessary to waste on a pay out.

Don't the AFL just pick up the tab if that's the case?
Only if the team is a complete basket case, like Sydney 1993 or us last year ( which is what I'm guessing you refer to).

Why does everyone expect Brad Scott to be sacked? General consensus seems to be they'll take it to the next level.

Because if they don't, it'll be because of him.

Coach Sacked Malthouse

Date end of round 23

Replacement N Buckley
B Ratten
R Walls
co Kouta/christou
Malthouse called back after Jeanie says sorry.

This thread is a disgrace...

Coach: Damien Hardwick

Date: May 19 2014

Replacements:
Brendon Lade
Dennis Pagan
Brett Montgomery
Darren Crocker
Brett Allison

(pls pretend this was posted on Jan 31)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back