Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Keep it on the down low but a very well regarded and good looking poster on this board thinks the Dees are a great team.
Not me that's for sure.

Well that was quintessential LNP. Make vague announcement, get questioned, don't verify or substantiate anything, nothing happens.
😂

Look, I don’t want to give much away because it’s a business connection but from what I found out that crew have some pretty good links into the club and landscape for various reasons - Robbo, Yze, Bruce all directly linked into the AFL landscape (and 2 of them at the club) as well as Green on the board.

The effective argument is Goody is a better whole-of-match coach than Roos, but I will say that the one criticism this player has is that Goody can be slow to adjust when the opposition gets a run on.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've actually never felt his match day work is particularly bad - even in 2017 he wasn't afraid to throw some magnets around and try and change the way we played. The biggest issues have always been the plan A wasn't standing up against decent sides and selection being too conservative. Clearly that has been fixed this year.

I've actually never felt his match day work is particularly bad - even in 2017 he wasn't afraid to throw some magnets around and try and change the way we played. The biggest issues have always been the plan A wasn't standing up against decent sides and selection being too conservative. Clearly that has been fixed this year.

I don't think any team has a plan B really. I think that's just adjusting to the momentum of the game, playing tempo footy if the opposition is getting a bit of a run on etc.

That sort of thing just comes with the maturity of the playing group and experience. We were able to do it very well on Saturday during the third quarter when Brisbane threw everything at us yet were only able to kick two goals.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our in game management has gotten 5x better this year.

Has to be down to maturity, continuity and having leaders on every line.

May, Lever, Salem playing almost every game down back.

Trac, Oliver, Gawn playing almost every game in the guts

Tmac, ANB, Fritta playing almost every game in the forwardline.

Even just having senior players regain some form in the forward line: ANB and Tmac being real leaders down there (Spargo and Koz mention Nibbler as a real leader, even Goody gave him a shoutout in pressers).

in 2019 we were a very raw, immature team that got decimated with injury. Apprently the ban on runners really ruined us that year as we didnt have the maturity and onfield leadership to play the way we wanted to consistently. Completely fell apart with a stubborn game plan that worked in 2018 but none of the personel to carry it out (Goody regularly rushing players back from injury + combined with Misso 4-6).

2020 was a step in the right direction, May and Lever built some synergy, midfield group was pretty good with emergence of Trac, but the forward line was largely a mess. Tmac and Nibbler were MIA, Koz and Spargo raw, Fritta missing set shots, Weid solid until end of year when he tired. Fitness was much better under first year of Burgo. Work in progress but building blocks were there.

Now here we are in 2021, it all seeming to come together. Full ground defence finally clicks with May/Lever behind the ball. Yze bringing some tweaks to the midfield with more time for role players allowing Clarry/Trac to dominate and control games. Emergence of Jordon/Sparrow as useful role players bringing balance to the midfield. Senior players pushed out of team due to well developed youngsters. Fritta starts kicking straight, talented youngsters: Riv, Jacko, Kozz somehow don't get 2nd year blues and astoundingly perform week in/week out.

Heard an interview with Max this morning that apparently Goody has gotten up early every morning the past week to walk around the Joondalup resort car park fifty times.

I swear if Goodwin wasn't a coach he'd be a serial killer.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Heard an interview with Max this morning that apparently Goody has gotten up early every morning the past week to walk around the Joondalup resort car park fifty times.

Could still be both. I always reckoned Pyke looked like a serial killer. Possibly still does. He and Goody might be working in tandem

I'm pretty happy for him that he's managed to find structure/keep s**t together after his divorce. Might seem weird what he does, but he obviously needs some form of regimented organisation.

I'm pretty happy for him that he's managed to find structure/keep sh*t together after his divorce. Might seem weird what he does, but he obviously needs some form of regimented organisation.
I think he’s an obsessive type that therefore has risks.

Lot of other issues there too.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW

On the Gus and Gawny podcast he said it because he wants to keep his steps up whilst they're in the resort.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm pretty happy for him that he's managed to find structure/keep sh*t together after his divorce. Might seem weird what he does, but he obviously needs some form of regimented organisation.
I’ve always thought his ex wife was really attractive. A good looking, wholesome, and real woman. None of these Nadia Bartel and Bec Judd types that look like a praying mantis with a fake tan.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Profuse apologies to Goodwin for my doubts and occasional potting in the past. I thought he was a little too close and ‘matey’ with the players and perhaps lacked some depth of intelligence to be a successful AFL coach. It looks like I’m going to be proved wrong.

This is a different generation and these are different times. The atmosphere and spirit he’s fostered among the group has been spot on. The boys genuinely adore him and his calming, unflustered presence.

And never underestimate the importance of previous AFL premiership experience in an aspiring premiership coach. It’s not always essential but by god it helps to have a bloke at the helm who’s already got several successful summits of the mountain under his belt as a player.

One more to go. Gawn and Goody on the dais. Just do it.

Lloydy saying he heard stories about Goody at Essendon and that we was the best assistant coach they had there. Incredible with his work with players who had had bad games and what they needed to work on etc.
Malcolm Blight also said he sees a lot of how Goody progressed as a footballer in his coaching. Was full of praise of his character too

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
considering how much of an excellent player Goody was, (i mean he's still in ripping knick, obviously takes care of himself.)
id have him in the best 3 ALL Time at the crows.

But in terms of coaching, You see how much the players love him, hes just one of the boys.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was pretty over Goodwin last year. One finals appearance in four years and two years of no finals. Felt he was just too stubborn and not able to adapt on game day. Clearly, like many of us, we were wrong. A game away from being a premiership coach. I now love how stubborn he has been. He has complete faith in the players and his style. He is developed the list to give us exactly what we need to contend, particularly from the backline up which is critical for premiership success.

I hope for him we go all the way.

Back