Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I never doubted him for a second, just like Ben Brown.

There's not many bigger w***ers in or around AFL than Basil. The first time I ever saw him on tv was years ago reading the sports report and he had a massive crack at us about how bad we were blah blah blah. I thought what a w***er! Just read the news! Not surprised he turned out to be a massive c***. Totally f***ed up the post game ceremony by calling Jake Bowey, Jack Bowey, not letting Embley announce the Norm Smith and then not giving Goody a chance to speak. Three massive mistakes. Then has the audacity to blame the crowd, and Goody for not shuffling towards the mic. WTF? Would be an absolute disgrace if he ever hosts anything AFL related again.

Not that I was expecting Goody to give us a speech for the ages, but so many winning coaches speeches are etched in the memory banks forever. He simply denied him that opportunity. Thank god Max gave us the 57 years of pain it's comin' home line.

I know in the post gf glow (having seen all these other teams over the years) that players talk up their coaches. But this feels powerful the way every single player has spoken about how Goody was relaxed at half time and re-assured them they were on the right track but just had a few changes to make.

Plenty talking that this was what the group needed, and I reckon that's so undervalued. Goody might seem weird to others as he's always presenting the same but to hear Trac say that Simon helped him be more comfortable with who he is as a person, and how he plays football speaks volumes.

Yeah. Noticed this after the round 23 Geelong win when Trac was almost choking up about thinking how close Goodwin was to potentially getting the arse.

There's not many bigger w***ers in or around AFL than Basil. The first time I ever saw him on tv was years ago reading the sports report and he had a massive crack at us about how bad we were blah blah blah. I thought what a w***er! Just read the news! Not surprised he turned out to be a massive c***. Totally f***ed up the post game ceremony by calling Jake Bowey, Jack Bowey, not letting Embley announce the Norm Smith and then not giving Goody a chance to speak. Three massive mistakes. Then has the audacity to blame the crowd, and Goody for not shuffling towards the mic. WTF? Would be an absolute disgrace if he ever hosts anything AFL related again.

Not that I was expecting Goody to give us a speech for the ages, but so many winning coaches speeches are etched in the memory banks forever. He simply denied him that opportunity. Thank god Max gave us the 57 years of pain it's comin' home line.
He’s a ******* imbecile. That Leon Cameron interview years ago confirmed it. Was listening to the Junktime AFL Podcast and one of the comedians on it said a joke that used to go down a treat years ago in WA was: “In Melbourne if someone is really stupid we call them a ‘*******’. It’s simple and efficient so why is it you guys call these people ‘Basil Zempilas’?”

Trac got emotional in his post game presser when talking about what Goody has done for him and what he means to him. I know Trac is an emotional guy but that shows us Goody’s great strength as a coach. Clarry has given similar praise. The players love him and he has great ability to shape and influence them.

I think that’s why he’s been coaching from the bench, letting the other coaches make/advise the tactical moves.

Deserves everything that comes his way after the pressure he was under and the pressure he put on himself. I lost faith. Sorry Simon, thank you and bloody well done.

Last edited:
Yeah. Noticed this after the round 23 Geelong win when Trac was almost choking up about thinking how close Goodwin was to potentially getting the arse.

He’s a ******* imbecile. That Leon Cameron interview years ago confirmed it. Was listening to the Junktime AFL Podcast and one of the comedians on it said a joke that used to go down a treat years ago in WA was: “In Melbourne if someone is really stupid we call them a ‘*******’. It’s simple and efficient so why is it you guys call these people ‘Basil Zempilas’?”

That was a great pod. Didn't realise Broden from Aunty Donna wrote the Dusty and Rusty ads.

Yeah there’s something to the way he’s gone about delivering this flag which makes me extraordinarily proud to call him an MFC man. You can tell that his relationship with the players is truly one of mutual love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, I missed that piece. Insightful read.

After reading that, I’m gonna give him a break of criticism for his media conferences … some people just aren’t great at public speaking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Media conferences don't matter in the end unless you can be as charismatic as the Rev in which case you can be have a crap team every second year and everyone still loves you.

Gawn said he knows his press conferences are boring but I think if you learn from Roosy it's that you can never say the right thing in a press conference but you can definitely say the wrong

Excuse making big nose knob, it was the crowds fault, Simon said it was fine, I did everything else perfectly

hahaha the big nosed campaigner is pulling the full politicians apology

It was loud, no one was talking in my ear to explain to me I was supposed to let the coach talk

Deflecting at his best, trying to palm it off as no big deal

Then the dickhead starts rambling off his achievements with the Melbourne cup, Australian open presentations ext as if that is some sort of defense for his massive * up.

The MC owns the stuff up, I put my hand up and own that. But, the run sheet wasn't crystal clear and we didn't have a chance to run through it. What a ******* tosser still subtly trying to throw someone else under the bus for his monumental * up

P.S how self absorbed is this campaigner to bring up he hopes he isn't the one remembered for Melbournes triumph?

It was loud, no one was talking in my ear to explain to me I was supposed to let the coach talk

Then the dickhead starts rambling off his achievements with the Melbourne cup, Australian open presentations ext as if that is some sort of defense for his massive fu** up.

The MC owns the stuff up, I put my hand up and own that. But, the run sheet wasn't crystal clear and we didn't have a chance to run through it. What a ******* tosser still subtly trying to throw someone else under the bus for his monumental fu** up

P.S how self absorbed is this campaigner to bring up he hopes he isn't the one remembered for Melbournes triumph?
******* pissweak apology

Then the dickhead starts rambling off his achievements with the Melbourne cup, Australian open presentations ext as if that is some sort of defense for his massive fu** up.

The MC owns the stuff up, I put my hand up and own that. But, the run sheet wasn't crystal clear and we didn't have a chance to run through it. What a ******* tosser still subtly trying to throw someone else under the bus for his monumental fu** up

He's a genuine piece of s**t

Massive flog, not even liked here in WA

Anyone who’s watched a Grand Final before knows that the winning coach speaks before raising the cup. Would be more forgivable if it was some bloke like James Sherry who is an MC/host for hire who probably couldn’t give a s**t about footy otherwise. But Basil has been employed in the industry for years and still needs a run sheet. What a ******* imbecile.

Anyone who’s watched a Grand Final before knows that the winning coach speaks before raising the cup. Would be more forgivable if it was some bloke like James Sherry who is an MC/host for hire who probably couldn’t give a sh*t about footy otherwise. But Basil has been employed in the industry for years and still needs a run sheet. What a ******* imbecile.

This is what goes through my head. I don't care if he needs a run sheet but with such a big event you think he would have prepared himself a billion times for the event worked out ways to stay in the moment and not get flusted.

This is what goes through my head. I don't care if he needs a run sheet but with such a big event you think he would have prepared himself a billion times for the event worked out ways to stay in the moment and not get flusted.
He wasn’t flustered , his massive ego took over. Never liked him as a footy commentator , his performance at the cup presentation only confirmed what I always thought . He is a massive ******** .

He wasn’t flustered , his massive ego took over. Never liked him as a footy commentator , his performance at the cup presentation only confirmed what I always thought . He is a massive ******** .
One of the comedians from the 'Two guys One cup' podcast was saying he used to a comedy bit in Perth where he'd say "In Melbourne we have this term '*it', but in WA, instead of *******, you say 'Basil Zempalis', and apparently the crowd would go nuts for that joke, and he was saying this was like 18 years ago haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back