Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy Goody's been a bit quiet over the last few years, but sounds like he was doing lots of important work behind the scenes:

"In the midst of Essendon’s long-running supplements scandal, Simon Goodwin found himself in the backroom of a Brunswick wedding dress store attempting pushups on two fingers with a Chinese master of Qigong."

"In the aftermath of Melbourne’s triumph, Goodwin thanked champion ironman Trevor Hendy, big wave surfer Mark Visser, energy healer Charlie Goldsmith and Johnson for their influence on his life."

He was up to something this whole time ;)

Crazy Goody's been a bit quiet over the last few years, but sounds like he was doing lots of important work behind the scenes:

"In the midst of Essendon’s long-running supplements scandal, Simon Goodwin found himself in the backroom of a Brunswick wedding dress store attempting pushups on two fingers with a Chinese master of Qigong."

"In the aftermath of Melbourne’s triumph, Goodwin thanked champion ironman Trevor Hendy, big wave surfer Mark Visser, energy healer Charlie Goldsmith and Johnson for their influence on his life."

He was up to something this whole time ;)

Thats a great article, thanks for posting.

Goody seems to be a far deeper human than his surface level, business-like press conferences would have you believe.

I think this is just the beginning for Simon, and more MFC premierships beckon now that the shackles and history are cast aside.

I saw Goody got an opportunity to speak at the celebration on Sunday. Liked his overall message of people and culture. Ultimate success has brought the club together in a fantastic way, only seen in most lifetimes when the tins were rattling.

I’m in no rush for the 2022 season to roll around, happy to soak it all in over summer, but it will be fun when it does. Going to be a very different feeling with the monkey off our back. I wonder if we’ll notice a change in Goody?

Remember people losing their sh*t over his last contract extension?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Shouldn’t we wait to see what he does next year before we extend him? Typical MFC jumping at shadows and rewarding four years of incompetence just because of some good signs.

Hopefully we don't pull a 2019 again in response.

4 real tho, happy with this. I was a sceptic last time, but he's definitely earned it.
if we pull a 19 again to do a 21 again I am happy

I have an irrational dislike of Goodwin. No idea why. Maybe it is his demeanour in interviews that rubs me the wrong way.

But the players seems to like him. And he has proven to get results with a Flag, a minor premiership, and a 5-1 record in Finals.

Sign him for 20 years now for all I care. Get every dollar you can, Goody!

I think he just comes across that way when interviewed. Professional. Outside of the media he's not that way at all.

If we had finished outside the 8 last year I wanted him gone.
As long as the players gel with him and he gets wins I don't care and you cant really criticize him if he scored us a premiership I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When should we sound out Clarkson? You’d think sometime around R8 if we’re not unbeaten. #duediligence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saints will be on the blower to Clarko's manager if they drop their first game. They're completely shook after we passed them the baton of longest premiership drought.

For those wanting a bit more pizzaz from the senior coach how about the introduction to the fans of the new manager (head coach) of the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters baseball team:

Thats ******* awesome, if I was Goodwin id demand we do it for him , a part of his contract, instead of "Shinjo is Back" Goody has "Simo is back" on the MCG scoreboard. comes out in a Jag (sponsor friendly of course) to "power" by Kanye West "no one man should have all that power" wearing aviator sunnies, does a few burnouts and doughies in the middle of G then talks some trash about the Bulldogs and last years granny over the PA system prior to the first bounce in round 1.

Make it happen

Last edited:
Bit odd the contract extension still hasn't been announced. I know these things can be sorted and not announced for months at a time but you'd think this is pretty straight forward.
Probably waiting on soft cap announcements. He's not leaving anyway so why bother rushing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Adelaide one day. But it won't be until our list has run it's course. He won us a flag, give him what he wants. Dogga is the tricky one. We need to be more conservative to keep the list intact, but every week his salary goes up! $$$ will be available once Gawn, May, TMac, Brown start to fall away. Would be smart for him to sign for 2-3 years then see what's available then. Hopefully snag another flag or 3 in the meantime..

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Adelaide one day. But it won't be until our list has run it's course. He won us a flag, give him what he wants. Dogga is the tricky one. We need to be more conservative to keep the list intact, but every week his salary goes up! $$$ will be available once Gawn, May, TMac, Brown start to fall away. Would be smart for him to sign for 2-3 years then see what's available then. Hopefully snag another flag or 3 in the meantime..
He has kids yeah? I don’t know if the family went back to Adelaide after he split with his wife, but you would imagine that makes a difference. He lives full time near me now. I keep running into him at the market and its sort of awkward now because I already went and said hello and congratulations and all last year - and I’m pretty sure whenever I come across him at the butcher he sort of knows he’s met me and is hoping that I don’t try and engage in a full on chat so he can just buy his lamb mince and a T-bone. And I end up sort of recognising him but them pretending I didn’t see him so I don’t freak him out, which looks pretty weird in itself.

I’m probably over thinking this

He has kids yeah? I don’t know if the family went back to Adelaide after he split with his wife, but you would imagine that makes a difference. He lives full time near me now. I keep running into him at the market and its sort of awkward now because I already went and said hello and congratulations and all last year - and I’m pretty sure whenever I come across him at the butcher he sort of knows he’s met me and is hoping that I don’t try and engage in a full on chat so he can just buy his lamb mince and a T-bone. And I end up sort of recognising him but them pretending I didn’t see him so I don’t freak him out, which looks pretty weird in itself.

I’m probably over thinking this
He's probably very comfortable here. I'm just going from a nostalgic point of view i guess. I'm sure if Nicks doesn't work out, Adelaide will come hard for Goodwin in a few years. Could be a nice circle for him, but yeah he could be very comfortable in Melbourne and if the club is still playing finals then it's hard to see him leaving within 5 years. I reckon a flag gets you that long...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back