Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Big tick to Goodwin. The structures needed tinkering but not a complete rework. He is one of the more innovative coaches in the AFL. We play as good forward half game as any side which is way a lot of side want to play but can’t.

Adding in the extra tall has created more contests for our smaller forwards. And setting up lever as the “goal keeper” in our zone.

People will say you’ve beaten no one, but that was almost our biggest issue last year not beating the sides we should. Not only are we confident to win these games we are putting them to the sword.

Looking forward to what we can produce against the crows this week. Not counting the game as a gimme but confident we will win with the crows inury toll mounting

Big tick to Goodwin. The structures needed tinkering but not a complete rework. He is one of the more innovative coaches in the AFL. We play as good forward half game as any side which is way a lot of side want to play but can’t.

Adding in the extra tall has created more contests for our smaller forwards. And setting up lever as the “goal keeper” in our zone.

People will say you’ve beaten no one, but that was almost our biggest issue last year not beating the sides we should. Not only are we confident to win these games we are putting them to the sword.

Looking forward to what we can produce against the crows this week. Not counting the game as a gimme but confident we will win with the crows inury toll mounting

Yes, though I'm not 100% sold on Goodwin yet, credit where it's due, our football is certainly improving week to week (though it would want to with our current clean bill of health). As you say, not just beating the teams that we should but by beating them comfortably really shows this. Also, the Norf win looks better as each week passes too. And still plenty of improvement to come.

all he's done is change to the structures that should of really been there in the first place imo.

He's basically won all the games he should have, which is nice for a change, but lets see if we can beat some quality and maintain the rage for more than a month before we start giving him back slaps, congrats on making par after round 9.
Its still finals or GTFO for me, no excuses with our list and as pretty of an injury list as any club has right now.

He's basically won all the games he should have, which is nice for a change, but lets see if we can beat some quality and maintain the rage for more than a month before we start giving him back slaps, congrats on making par after round 9.
Its still finals or GTFO for me, no excuses with our list and as pretty of an injury list as any club has right now.

Pretty much. Lets see where we are in 3 weeks, if we're 8-4 or 9-3 then I'll start to believe.

Last edited:
all he's done is change to the structures that should of really been there in the first place imo.

Who says they weren't and the players just didn't execute the game plan. It isn't as simple as you are making it out to be.

Credit has to go to this bloke, alot of credit.
Alot of us were digging the boots in early in the season, I myself did that big write up questioning what we were doing and how we could win the inside 50 count yet struggle to convert them however in hindsight you can see that we were oh so close to exploding.

He stuck by ANB Lever and Melksham and its paying us back in spades, hes also made some big calls dropping Hunt/Garlett and Tyson.
He left Brayshaw out of the side at the start of the season and worked him back into it and again its paying big.

Frankly we are playing the best footy ive ever seen us play the last month, we havent lost a contested ball count all year and now our forward line and defence are both functioning.

Thumbs up goody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I owe this bloke an apology, I was well off him at the start of the season, but he's stuck to his guns and now it's really starting to pay off. Onya Goody.

Good vision shown - on the couch. Our deepest back in Lever setting up in the goal keeper position as the last man in the zone. Instead of being 40m of the ball he is now 70m.

Credit has to go to this bloke, alot of credit.
Alot of us were digging the boots in early in the season, I myself did that big write up questioning what we were doing and how we could win the inside 50 count yet struggle to convert them however in hindsight you can see that we were oh so close to exploding.

He stuck by ANB Lever and Melksham and its paying us back in spades, hes also made some big calls dropping Hunt/Garlett and Tyson.
He left Brayshaw out of the side at the start of the season and worked him back into it and again its paying big.

Frankly we are playing the best footy ive ever seen us play the last month, we havent lost a contested ball count all year and now our forward line and defence are both functioning.

Thumbs up goody.
Yeah, credit to him. And even if it’s not his game plan or game day strategy that’s made the difference, or his list management, but the players themselves that have lifted (just speculating) - he has to get credit for that too. The man management aspect has been questioned and is the hardest part of being a good coach.

I still want to sack him. I feel more at home furious and wanting coaches sacked.

You’re all a bunch of coach bandwagoners. In 10 years when Goodwin is finally gone I’ll have the last laugh.

Also credit where credit is due for dropping Garlett and giving Spargo a chance

It might seem like a small point but I think it's made a huge difference having Spargo in the team, in the first halves of both games where we haven't been dominating this guy has kicked goals and created chances that an out of form Garlett simply wouldn't have.

He's happy to consistently put his body on the line for a smaller bloke and the injection of enthusiasm and youth has made a difference to the forwardline, whilst still allowing Jeffy a chance to get some touch and form at a lower level. The move looked like a left-field one at the time and many were bemoaning Goody for dropping such a quality player in Garlett, but this competition for spots and ruthlessness is what makes a great team.

In the last quarter Spargo did about 3 or 4 consecutive efforts in our forward 50 which just has to be great for team morale watching a young kid give so much to the team. For the record ANB probably comes out for Garlett sooner rather than later but credit for another seemingly left field move from Crazy-Goody

May the madness continue
He’s showing the faith in the Spargos, ANBs, OMacs, and Weidemans. Hopefully it pays off

i was very critical early of Goody's game plan, now its paying dividends.

I am also sorry, and resend anything negative i may have said publicly
Did you see on the couch. They highlighted how high lever pressed against Hawthorn, and how he stayed back against Adelaide. I think the criticism was warranted but to Goodwin's credit he has tweaked it. That or the players weren't quite implementing it properly.

Did you see on the couch. They highlighted how high lever pressed against Hawthorn, and how he stayed back against Adelaide. I think the criticism was warranted but to Goodwin's credit he has tweaked it. That or the players weren't quite implementing it properly.
I think I said after the Hawthorn game that we need to afford Goodwin the luxury of being a young coach who is still learning. Even if we make the GF this year or even win a flag, he’ll still be a better coach in 5 years, 10 years, etc

I think I said after the Hawthorn game that we need to afford Goodwin the luxury of being a young coach who is still learning. Even if we make the GF this year or even win a flag, he’ll still be a better coach in 5 years, 10 years, etc
I agree and I think Buckley is a good example of this. He's in his 5th year now and he's much better as a coach. I think there's some great coaches out there that have been sacked but probably would deserve a second chance. Ratten for example did really well with an ok Carlton list almost got them to a preliminary final in 2011. He's spent a few years under clarko and I think should deserve another go. Even Voss I think would be good, I know the jokes about crazy Voss but I feel he would have learnt a lot and let's not forget what he had achieved as a player and the way he went about it.

I agree and I think Buckley is a good example of this. He's in his 5th year now and he's much better as a coach. I think there's some great coaches out there that have been sacked but probably would deserve a second chance. Ratten for example did really well with an ok Carlton list almost got them to a preliminary final in 2011. He's spent a few years under clarko and I think should deserve another go. Even Voss I think would be good, I know the jokes about crazy Voss but I feel he would have learnt a lot and let's not forget what he had achieved as a player and the way he went about it.
Nah Buckley is shite. Boys club in action

Remove this Banner Ad

Back