Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to think to think if hawthorn offered Clarkson half his contract he would stay and the club would resent him and give him a shitty office in the basement. Like that episode when George gets a job and they think he's handicapped once the find out they offer him half his contract. Couldn't find the clip I wanted to I used this instead.

I heard somewhere that if we win one of our last 2 games this will be the best h&a season we have had since 1964

Regardless of who else is available on the market that record has to be celebrated and Goodwin needs to get a lot of credit for it

When you think of how Goodwin has turned around Melbourne, Buckley did for a while at Collingwood & Harwick did at Richmond it should show someone like Carlton that improvement isn't always linear. And sacking a coach after one average year or one year where they regress isn't the best idea

I heard somewhere that if we win one of our last 2 games this will be the best h&a season we have had since 1964

Regardless of who else is available on the market that record has to be celebrated and Goodwin needs to get a lot of credit for it

When you think of how Goodwin has turned around Melbourne, Buckley did for a while at Collingwood & Harwick did at Richmond it should show someone like Carlton that improvement isn't always linear. And sacking a coach after one average year or one year where they regress isn't the best idea
True. And in hindsight judging last year is pretty harsh anyway given everything. It’s one of the big issues around Teague - he has really only coached one and a half unimpacted seasons (if you can call 2021 that).

True. And in hindsight judging last year is pretty harsh anyway given everything. It’s one of the big issues around Teague - he has really only coached one and a half unimpacted seasons (if you can call 2021 that).
And his recruitment department let him down signed big money free agents that didn't help their team or structure

Plus the fans and board have way over estimated that list

Carlton's biggest problem is their recruitment. Everyone s**t on us including alot of our board but we went and got our 2 key defensive pillars which single handedly fixed our defensive issues almost.
We then paid reasonably cheap salary wise for a winger, a HBF and HFF and traded up in the draft to target players we needed.

Carlton have had a weak midfield for a decade basically and went and sunk millions into HBF which are probably the least influential players on the field. McGovern was another huge miss.

Zac Williams is a good player, so is Saad. But they need some grunt inside the middle to help those players thrive.

Carlton's biggest problem is their recruitment. Everyone sh*t on us including alot of our board but we went and got our 2 key defensive pillars which single handedly fixed our defensive issues almost.
We then paid reasonably cheap salary wise for a winger, a HBF and HFF and traded up in the draft to target players we needed.

Carlton have had a weak midfield for a decade basically and went and sunk millions into HBF which are probably the least influential players on the field. McGovern was another huge miss.

Zac Williams is a good player, so is Saad. But they need some grunt inside the middle to help those players thrive.
It is the typical arrogant Carlton attitude

Lets go and get the two biggest name free agents to flex our muscles and show we are a big club and then we will just let the coaching staff work out where they fit in to the team structure

Rather than going after the lesser name(s) that fit their needs but aren't as sexy or pleasing to the rabid fans

Don’t disagree. Was fascinating finding out that he also had all the same assistants from Bolts still.

My honest opinion is they aren't that far away. I just don't think on paper they are much worse than us 2017-19
They need some fringe blokes to step up, and it feels like they haven't managed to get any draftees outside of top 15 picks to settle into the side.

My honest opinion is they aren't that far away. I just don't think on paper they are much worse than us 2017-19
They need some fringe blokes to step up, and it feels like they haven't managed to get any draftees outside of top 15 picks to settle into the side.

Agreed. I think a defensive-minded coach could easily get them to finals footy. Ross Lyon would be ideal for them imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So for the bloke potting our weaknesses these are the facts of our strengths the last 6 weeks

Defending balls inside 50 - #1
Defending ball movement - #1
Turning ball over between the arcs - #1
Pressure rating - #1

The other teams ranked in the top 8 are all finalists except for Tigers and Hawks and the Hawks have had an epic 6 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for the bloke potting our weaknesses these are the facts of our strengths the last 6 weeks

Pressure rating - #1

The other teams ranked in the top 8 are all finalists except for Tigers and Hawks and the Hawks have had an epic 6 weeks.
Yeah David King was saying there has never been a team ranked #1 in all of those areas

Having said that our contested winning ability was unmatched in 2018 and then only got us so far but we are a better team this year imo

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Pressure rating - #1

Thought it was interesting on last nights Watchlist they showed that you get on avg 120 chances to start with the ball in a game. 70 from intercept, 40 from clearance, 10 from behinds. There’s the business case for the Tigers model we adopted. Point they were making was defence is the key in big games for this reason.

I think we focus so much on the flaws of our game we lose sight of the things we do so well. Don't have stats on our scoring efficiency but feels we are so wasteful going forward, if we clean that area up it would be a major contributing factor in winning the premiership.

I think we focus so much on the flaws of our game we lose sight of the things we do so well. Don't have stats on our scoring efficiency but feels we are so wasteful going forward, if we clean that area up it would be a major contributing factor in winning the premiership.
Reckon we've been better there in the past three weeks. Need to see it again this weekend to convince me we've turned that area of our game around though.

Reckon we've been better there in the past three weeks. Need to see it again this weekend to convince me we've turned that area of our game around though.
That's why Stewart out for the season is crucial. With McDonald coming back in hopefully we can improve even more, need to get some good chemistry between bbb, tmac and slick now. I think the gold coast game gave us some well overdue confidence.

Who isn't wasteful these days? Teams don't attack going inside 50 they kick to contests to allow themselves to press up. You just have to be smart with when you attack these days.

Who isn't wasteful these days? Teams don't attack going inside 50 they kick to contests to allow themselves to press up. You just have to be smart with when you attack these days.
west coast are very efficient but look where that gets them

As I said it's more of a feel I don't have anything to back it with. Our scoring efficiency might be okay but we notice it more because we are so invested. It's easier to notice a blatant missed opportunity for goal than it is to notice pretty or Lever taking an intercept mark, which happens all game.

As I said it's more of a feel I don't have anything to back it with. Our scoring efficiency might be okay but we notice it more because we are so invested. It's easier to notice a blatant missed opportunity for goal than it is to notice pretty or Lever taking an intercept mark, which happens all game.
Maybe it's ****ed for us because our role players are our best kicks and our stars are s**t?

I dunno. It pisses me off so much more when Trac runs towards 50 and bombs it to no one in the pocket for a boundary throw in.

Maybe it's f’ed for us because our role players are our best kicks and our stars are sh*t?

I dunno. It pisses me off so much more when Trac runs towards 50 and bombs it to no one in the pocket for a boundary throw in.
Yeah those are the ones I'm talking about. I think there was one where we could have walked it in. Oliver had a player in board but instead bombed it to pickett who luckily got a tackle resulting in a htb and goal. Was another one where we got lucky only because fritta evaded about three players before snapping on his left.

Maybe it's f’ed for us because our role players are our best kicks and our stars are sh*t?

Trac has lost all touch with his kicks.

It's now in his head where he almost always tries to kick the cover off of it going inside 50. It's infuriating.

So many times as he's streaming inside 50 with decent options everywhere, he will only trust himself to try and kick a 50-60m bullet. You can tell he's low on confidence with his kicking as he's trying to only find passes where he's almost forced to kick through it as hard as possible so he doesn't miss-hit it. Problem is often the 50-60m bullet over the back/into a tiny window of space isn't on and he turns it over anyway.

Think it was against WCE early in the game but there was one that stood out like dog's balls.

I take your point that they're instructed to get deep entries to the pocket to set up the defence, but surely when you're burning free guys inside 50 to put the blinkers on and thump it deep to nobody the "get it in long and to the pocket" loses its utility.

Imagine if he goes to the Spargo School of dab kicks for a summer and re-learns the art of the inside 50 o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back