Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Milkshake' sweetens the forward line

Melbourne has retained possession from 68 per cent of forward Jake Melksham's kicks into the forward 50 this season – the highest percentage of the top-100 players. Melksham's ability to deliver low and flat passes to teammates on either foot is a rare skill. The Demons forward, who has gone by the nickname 'Milkshake' during his career, is also No.1 in the AFL for goal assists (26), ahead of Shane Edwards (23).

Bombs away in the first

The Demons have scored from just 41 per cent of inside 50s in first quarters this season – ranked 16thin the AFL. Efficiency going into attack has been an issue all season, although they have scored from 49 per cent of entries in third quarters – ranked fourth. Simon Goodwin's team is ranked No.1 in the AFL for inside 50s (averaging 61.6 per game).

Defence to offence at lightning speed

A key criticism of Melbourne this season has been its inability to defend, but when the club gets it right it is difficult to stop. The Demons score from 13 per cent of chains starting in defensive 50 – ranked No.1 in the AFL. Although the ball tends to live in Melbourne's forward half, the team has been able to score from just 52 per cent of chains originating in forward 50 – ranked 15th

Crazy. Melksham is elite.
Our forward set up doesn't damage teams early and allows them to stay in the game.
Our forward press creates the most 're entries in the AFL but we don't score enough from them.

Our ball movement from defence to attack is the best in the AFL. So why don't we sit deeper and attack more from there...

First time poster, medium term lurker. Apologies if this betrays my football ignorance.

A friend and I were discussing this and he suggested Jade Rawlings as match day coach.
Hello first time poster. Welcome.

Rawlings does seem to have gone very well at Casey this year doesn’t he? Mind you I don’t know enough about it to guess at whether that makes him good enough as an AFL coach. He doesn’t look as crazy as Goodwin, for what that’s worth

Milkshake' sweetens the forward line

Melbourne has retained possession from 68 per cent of forward Jake Melksham's kicks into the forward 50 this season – the highest percentage of the top-100 players. Melksham's ability to deliver low and flat passes to teammates on either foot is a rare skill. The Demons forward, who has gone by the nickname 'Milkshake' during his career, is also No.1 in the AFL for goal assists (26), ahead of Shane Edwards (23).

Bombs away in the first

The Demons have scored from just 41 per cent of inside 50s in first quarters this season – ranked 16thin the AFL. Efficiency going into attack has been an issue all season, although they have scored from 49 per cent of entries in third quarters – ranked fourth. Simon Goodwin's team is ranked No.1 in the AFL for inside 50s (averaging 61.6 per game).

Defence to offence at lightning speed

A key criticism of Melbourne this season has been its inability to defend, but when the club gets it right it is difficult to stop. The Demons score from 13 per cent of chains starting in defensive 50 – ranked No.1 in the AFL. Although the ball tends to live in Melbourne's forward half, the team has been able to score from just 52 per cent of chains originating in forward 50 – ranked 15th

Crazy. Melksham is elite.
Our forward set up doesn't damage teams early and allows them to stay in the game.
Our forward press creates the most 're entries in the AFL but we don't score enough from them.

Our ball movement from defence to attack is the best in the AFL. So why don't we sit deeper and attack more from there...

Our efficiency from defence to forward line is good because the ball is hardly down. Not sure inviting the ball down there in order to attack would make us a better side. Let’s just get better at the final kick inside 50 and defensive transition. (Essendon like to play this way)

A lot of clubs would be jealous of our ability to generate forward half footy.

Maybe. Maybe not.
Certainly not a given and our current situation from where we've come from, whilst a little disappointing following our good start to the year, is not sack worthy.

We'd almost definitely be an improved side with a better coach by definition.

Goodwin + players = now
Better coach + same players = better than now, barring catastrophic luck

Who that better coach is though and what it'd take to get him here, though...

Goodwin + players = now

Alastair Clarkson - at gunpoint.

I'm not in the camp that Goody should be sacked but the last 2 seasons have been hugely disappointing. People might preach patience but this is 2 years missing out on better commercial fixtures, 2 years missing out on higher sponsorship, 2 years missing out on experience, 2 years missing out on potentially inflating membership numbers and building momentum. Jetta Hibberd Jones Vince and Lewis may only have a year or 2 left at a high level. That's basically 4 of our back 6 that need replacing. We need Steven May, if the Pies blow their load on lynch that leaves us in the box seat for may I hope. Playing him Lever and Omac together matches the tigers Rance Grimes Astbury. Frost we can then trade.

I think people over rate our list sometimes aswell.

Omac is hardly a gun, just a competent defender.
I think Omac gets a lot of reflected glory from his brother. It seems like we expect him to be just as good as Tmac just because they have the same parents - only Omac is 2/3 years behind his brother so he's always "developing" into Tmac.

I'm not in the camp that Goody should be sacked but the last 2 seasons have been hugely disappointing. People might preach patience but this is 2 years missing out on better commercial fixtures, 2 years missing out on higher sponsorship, 2 years missing out on experience, 2 years missing out on potentially inflating membership numbers and building momentum. Jetta Hibberd Jones Vince and Lewis may only have a year or 2 left at a high level. That's basically 4 of our back 6 that need replacing. We need Steven May, if the Pies blow their load on lynch that leaves us in the box seat for may I hope. Playing, him Lever and Omac together matches the tigers Rance Grimes Astbury. Frost we can then trade.
And we'll have the most hated backline in the comp - that's a plus.

Goodwin + players = now

By definition you are right.
Although a "better" coach technically does not guarantee the same list plays better footy.
Footy just doesn't work like that.
Luke Beveridge took a flag winning side in 2016 to a 10th place finish with 11 wins the following year with almost an identical list as the year before.
And yeah you're right, I'm not sure who the available "better" coaches are at the moment.
Next year should be finals or bust for Goody.

I pulled this together a couple of weeks ago (4th July) but its still really relevant.
View attachment 532249
It is way to early to be writing off Goodwin. He's still on his training wheels as far as coaching experience goes. We don't expect a player with fewer than 50 games to be a complete and consistent performer (Clarry excepted). We need some patience with Goodwin too.
These kind of melts happened at this point in the careers Hardwick, Brad Scott, Buckley, and plenty other coaches. Coaching is a role in which you improve with experience. If we sack Goodwin anytime soon this club has learnt nothing from the past 12 years.

These kind of melts happened at this point in the careers Hardwick, Brad Scott, Buckley, and plenty other coaches. Coaching is a role in which you improve with experience. If we sack Goodwin anytime soon this club has learnt nothing from the past 12 years.
This

He hasn’t lost the players, we haven’t regressed, he’s been solid and consistent in the media, no way we’d look at sacking him. At the end of Roos tenure we desperately wanted more offenders, well he’s delivered that in spades. We are also a really hard at it side, probably among toughest two or three teams in the league on a weekly basis in my opinion. No serious board would sack him. All we need to do is sort out our forward 50 entries and we’ll be a top 4 team for the foreseeable future.

People certainly melted over Buckley deciding to tear down a premiership contending team that he then coached backwards for 6 consecutive years but I don't recall melts over Scott and particularly Hardwick who was clearly improving a club that was largely considered a basket case when he took over. He shouldn't be sacked this year if we don't make finals but if we're short again next year then I would say it's clear he's not the man for the job.

Hello first time poster. Welcome.

Rawlings does seem to have gone very well at Casey this year doesn’t he? Mind you I don’t know enough about it to guess at whether that makes him good enough as an AFL coach. He doesn’t look as crazy as Goodwin, for what that’s worth
He also evidently likes Melbourne Bitter and that's always a plus for me, although perhaps it was a play on words describing being involved in the MFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People certainly melted over Buckley deciding to tear down a premiership contending team that he then coached backwards for 6 consecutive years but I don't recall melts over Scott and particularly Hardwick who was clearly improving a club that was largely considered a basket case when he took over. He shouldn't be sacked this year if we don't make finals but if we're short again next year then I would say it's clear he's not the man for the job.

Just a few but:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/give-110-to-have-damian-hardwick-sacked.1144118/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/richmonds-future-direction-with-hardwick.1069544/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/sack-hardwick.1129321/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/hardwicks-thursday-press-conference.1137609/
I remember there were a few Richmond supporters who had an avatar that read 'SACK HARDWICK' for a while too. The coach I always the scapegoat for the supporters the moment things don't go perfectly.

For Brad Scott I've seen plenty of North supporters saying they should replace him since I've been on bigfooty. The year they choked like 8 times after leading in the final term was the time it was loudest.

I'm not in the camp that Goody should be sacked but the last 2 seasons have been hugely disappointing. People might preach patience but this is 2 years missing out on better commercial fixtures, 2 years missing out on higher sponsorship, 2 years missing out on experience, 2 years missing out on potentially inflating membership numbers and building momentum. Jetta Hibberd Jones Vince and Lewis may only have a year or 2 left at a high level. That's basically 4 of our back 6 that need replacing. We need Steven May, if the Pies blow their load on lynch that leaves us in the box seat for may I hope. Playing him Lever and Omac together matches the tigers Rance Grimes Astbury. Frost we can then trade.
Dude Hibberd is 28, should be playing well for at least three more years.

Dude Hibberd is 28, should be playing well for at least three more years.

He's already down on form this year. Not saying he can't recapture it but plenty of blokes slow down real fast at 30. Bernie and Lewis aren't exactly playing career best footy since they hit 30.

He hasn’t lost the players, we haven’t regressed, he’s been solid and consistent in the media, no way we’d look at sacking him. At the end of Roos tenure we desperately wanted more offenders, well he’s delivered that in spades. We are also a really hard at it side, probably among toughest two or three teams in the league on a weekly basis in my opinion. No serious board would sack him. All we need to do is sort out our forward 50 entries and we’ll be a top 4 team for the foreseeable future.
I agree with all of this except the last sentence. What we need to sort out is how frequently we concede scores once the ball breaks free from our forward 70 (ish) metres. Get that sorted and we’ll be set.

Pretty much exactly what I'm getting at.

He also evidently likes Melbourne Bitter and that's always a plus for me, although perhaps it was a play on words describing being involved in the MFC.

The only Melbourne Bitter you should be a fan of is the kind that's brewed on this board.

Would be good to do a reverse number on Hawthorn and have two of their greats in our coaches box. Lewis defensive coach, Mitchell midfield coach - job done.

Finally!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back