Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

They spoke about a number of things, noticeably about how Jones being off the leash a little will give us some versatility. Roos liked our ability to keep composure and lower the eyes in the second quarter and gradually stretch the Saints defence. Goodwin pretty much a stock standard approach, competitive etc.

Last edited:
I expect the next two weeks to really define the season and maybe even has the potential to define the Goodwin era. What do we consider 'acceptable' results to be?

If we don't make finals, does his position remain tenable?

Only reason I mention these two results is the following.

1. Can we back up a disappointing performance and result against Geelong with an away win at a ground we rarely play at? Brisbane is a bit like us in 2015, they have the beginnings of a game plan but are vulnerable to any team who goes over the top to exploit it. Will we do that, or get bogged down in a stoppage battle between Gawn and Stef?
  2. Surely we can't lose to the worst North side in recent memory?

1. Can we back up a disappointing performance and result against Geelong with an away win at a ground we rarely play at? Brisbane is a bit like us in 2015, they have the beginnings of a game plan but are vulnerable to any team who goes over the top to exploit it. Will we do that, or get bogged down in a stoppage battle between Gawn and Stef?
It depends a little.
If we were struck down with injuries to many good players for long periods of time, then finals are a must.
Example - Viney doesn't make it back, Tmac doesn't make it back, Oliver, Hogan, Gawn, Hibberd miss extended periods then we are more than likely not gonna play finals. Not Goody's fault.
We MUST beat Brisbane and we MUST smash Norf.

I expect the next two weeks to really define the season and maybe even has the potential to define the Goodwin era. What do we consider 'acceptable' results to be?
Jesus Christ mate settle down. We’ll thrash both teams

To answer your hypothetical, No I wouldn't keep him as coach if we missed again. This list is every bit as ready as any others to win more games than we lose. One result doesn't tell you if we have improved or not but there is enough about us now to say we should win

To answer your hypothetical, No I wouldn't keep him as coach if we missed again. This list is every bit as ready as any others to win more games than we lose. One result doesn't tell you if we have improved or not but there is enough about us now to say we should win

Agreed although I doubt we would pay him out. Finals or bust for me.

Agreed although I doubt we would pay him out. Finals or bust for me.

I don't think we would either and I don't think the club can handle another first time coach. Unless Alastair Clarkson or Ross Lyon is available I can't handle the stress of a new coach again either.

The only melbourne coach in a long time to have a positive win/loss record. Give him some time unless the player coach relationships completely fall in a heap.

My counter to this is we don't know if Goodwin is a good coach or not, but I'm certain Lyon Clarkson or Longmire gets that list last year to finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My counter to this is we don't know if Goodwin is a good coach or not, but I'm certain Lyon Clarkson or Longmire gets that list last year to finals.

Not a massive call that three coaches who have 12 Grand Finals and 5 premierships between them get our list to finals.

All of whom are otherwise employed so what are we supposed to do?
Goodwin may not be a good coach but geez we're guessing a bit.
We lost some games last year that we shouldn't have but we've done that for years and whilst the buck stops with him, the players need to cop a bit of that.
We also won some games we didn't think we would.
The injuries cruelled us last year. Every team gets them but we got it bad.
Certainly needs a good year this year to build our trust but I reckon we're going a bit early here. Gawns kick goes straight and this whole board is a different place this week.
Round 1 loss by under a kick!!

If Clarko somehow became available at the end of the year , I would turf goody out without hesitation. Brutal, but this list is too good to have a novice at the wheel

While we're coming up with pointless fantasies I'd trade Jones for Dustin Martin and Viney for Josh Kelly too.

Curiously, when was the last time we thrashed a side (8+ goals)?
Gold Coast or Brisbane in 2016 i reckon.

Bulldogs last year was almost 9 goals (53pts)

Not a massive call that three coaches who have 12 Grand Finals and 5 premierships between them get our list to finals.

Wasn't supposed to be a massive call, I was using them as an example to say that a good coach takes this current list to finals and Goody is still unproven.

Gawns kick goes straight and this whole board is a different place this week.
Round 1 loss by under a kick!!
That's spot on. We lost to a side who is going to be thereabouts again this year by a kick. Won 3 of the 4 quarters and generally played pretty well. I think if we play like that against every side for the rest of the season we'll be ok and easily make finals. Sure, I'd like to not have to go through the obligatory crap quarter, but if we win 3/4 quarters each game, I'd back us in to be winning way more games than we lose.

I do agree with the calls on Goodwin (ie if we miss finals, the blowtorch will be turned on) but I think we'd end up keeping him on

That's spot on. We lost to a side who is going to be thereabouts again this year by a kick. Won 3 of the 4 quarters and generally played pretty well. I think if we play like that against every side for the rest of the season we'll be ok and easily make finals. Sure, I'd like to not have to go through the obligatory crap quarter, but if we win 3/4 quarters each game, I'd back us in to be winning way more games than we lose.

I do agree with the calls on Goodwin (ie if we miss finals, the blowtorch will be turned on) but I think we'd end up keeping him on

I think we finished 4th last year for quarters won and still lost so it's not that simple.

This thread is like having an autopsy before the body has turned up . I have my doubts about Goodwin too , but I think he gets a pass mark ( just ) for getting us so close to finals last season , all things considered . Again we beat the pies last season it's a whole different story .

I think we finished 4th last year for quarters won and still lost so it's not that simple.
Well yeah it obviously isn't (however we got almighty close), but the point is I think we are thereabouts even though we lost on the weekend. If we are thereabouts and Goodwin doesn't get us there then I was saying that I think he'd have one more year to succeed or he'd be pretty much out

I don't think it's finals or bust, I think it's more the circumstances of how we make it or miss. As mentioned before if we are hit by (more) injuries but if we continue to lose matches closely by having patches where we switch off and allow teams to get run-ons then there needs to be questions asked. I'm hoping this loss is a big lesson. I did read an article on fox footy where there was 4 occasions in one quarter where our midfielders got sucked into the contest whilst allowing Geelong free on the outside resulting in 3 goals. I'm no expert and I'm sure the players and coaching staff will go over everything but if they iron out those little chinks we should be fine. In all fairness Goodwin did adapt after halftime but he needs to start recognising this earlier. I know coaches want to stick with the plan but sometimes you just need to stop the bleeding straight away. Anyway time will tell I think he's safe this season but next year the heat will be on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back