Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He's actually got us playing a reasonable plan A and it looks ok when we're fresh and on. This at least tells me he has the players.

Plan B is the issue as well as our ability to transition under fatigue. Our return for forward 50 entries is rubbish.

Knowing when to change up the strategy is pivotal for our game style but I wonder if he is alert/quick enough.

We still have a few too many makeshift players and leadership is also letting him down.

Early days, he was always going to take time to develop compared to a seasoned coach like Roos.

Sacking talk is premature, but if at the end of the season, we're still bombing it long into the forward line for all six forwards to try and take the big pack mark with no one crumbing, it raises serious concerns about Goodwin's style of play or his ability to get the players to improve / play to the game plan. The talent is on the list, just need a coach who can improve the players and get the team to play as more than the sum of its parts. Not expecting Goodwin to work miracles, but we should be seeing signs of progression.
While i disagree with you that sacking talk is premature I don't think you can really sack him at 1-1 in his 2nd year. That being said he's doing a really terrible job from where i sit. There's a few big glaring errors and i don't think it takes much to see them. For one, bring in a *ing key defender and make Lever the 3rd tall he's supposed to be. WTF is Goodwin ******* doing with him? Also stop bloody playing Hogan in the middle. He was looking unstoppable up forward and Goodwin moves him into the middle and we look aimless moving it forward. We have a heap of midfielders, Hogan does not need to play any centre bounces. As for Salem, put him down back. He isn't an inside mid. I really don't see why when we have a heap of good inside guys that we're playing these guys on ball. Goodwin is ruining half our players playing them in roles they aren't suited to, anyone can see it but what's the bet he's too stubborn to admit his plans aren't working.

He ruined Watts, look what he did under Roos, now under Hinkley, Watts' success at Port just highlights how terrible Goodwin is at player development and using players in the right places. Gus can't get a game and Goodwin has been chipping away at his confidence for 18 months, Salem and Lever 2 more guys with all the talent in the world who are going to s**t under him. ` He also has no plan B on game day, a theme that seems to be common amongst Melb coaches. I think he's legitemately going to ruin this era, i haven't been more angry and disgusted by a victory as i am tonight. I'll show myself out :think::(

I think he is a nutter. I always did.

I’m hoping he is going to transition to a Clarko type nutter, but odds on he is a regular nutter like 95 percent of nutters. This time in 3 year time he will be a regular on trams wittering on about having a radio in his head controlled by Fidel Castro.

I’m hoping he is going to transition to a Clarko type nutter, but odds on he is a regular nutter like 95 percent of nutters. This time in 3 year time he will be a regular on trams wittering on about having a radio in his head controlled by Fidel Castro.

How drunk?

He's actually got us playing a reasonable plan A and it looks ok when we're fresh and on. This at least tells me he has the players.

Plan B is the issue as well as our ability to transition under fatigue. Our return for forward 50 entries is rubbish.

Knowing when to change up the strategy is pivotal for our game style but I wonder if he is alert/quick enough.

We still have a few too many makeshift players and leadership is also letting him down.

Early days, he was always going to take time to develop compared to a seasoned coach like Roos.

Agree with this. He needs to teach the team to deal with momentum shifts and how to control them, the panic that sets in has been a problem for years.

Some strange team selections. Can't come up with a plan to stop opposition momentum. Playing Lever in a role we didn't recruit him for. Potential hand in mismanagement of two crucial players in Viney and TMac. A lot of our issues from last year still remain. I'm nervous..

He's put his stamp on the side with all these hard-arsed but limited players, and I think the negative side of that showed when we struggled to transition the ball under pressure. I can't understand why we lack one tall back and one tall forward. Playing Bugg out the square was comical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listened to him on SEN just before, standard goody waffle but he was very strong that the ‘offering his resignation’ thing with the camp was completely fabricated.

If he can actually instil the culture he envisioned in the interview then he will be great for the club.

I used to have a neighbour who always thought ASIO were after him every time he heard a helicopter.

Probably didn’t help that my brother would open his bedroom window and fly his drone over the blokes garden.

Last edited:
While i disagree with you that sacking talk is premature I don't think you can really sack him at 1-1 in his 2nd year. That being said he's doing a really terrible job from where i sit. There's a few big glaring errors and i don't think it takes much to see them. For one, bring in a ruddy key defender and make Lever the 3rd tall he's supposed to be. WTF is Goodwin ******* doing with him? Also stop bloody playing Hogan in the middle. He was looking unstoppable up forward and Goodwin moves him into the middle and we look aimless moving it forward. We have a heap of midfielders, Hogan does not need to play any centre bounces. As for Salem, put him down back. He isn't an inside mid. I really don't see why when we have a heap of good inside guys that we're playing these guys on ball. Goodwin is ruining half our players playing them in roles they aren't suited to, anyone can see it but what's the bet he's too stubborn to admit his plans aren't working.

He ruined Watts, look what he did under Roos, now under Hinkley, Watts' success at Port just highlights how terrible Goodwin is at player development and using players in the right places. Gus can't get a game and Goodwin has been chipping away at his confidence for 18 months, Salem and Lever 2 more guys with all the talent in the world who are going to s**t under him. ` He also has no plan B on game day, a theme that seems to be common amongst Melb coaches. I think he's legitemately going to ruin this era, i haven't been more angry and disgusted by a victory as i am tonight. I'll show myself out :think::(

Agree re Lever and bringing in a KPD.

I like the way he rotates a lot of people through the midfield it keeps oppo defense guessing and when we are on top I think its great.

Watts' numbers on the weekend were back to the old Watts once he comes up against someone better than Freo. 10 disposals, no marks, no goals... the board would have been sending him back to Casey with an effort like that.

I don't see how he has chipped away at Gus' confidence. He hasn't set the world alight with form and there are others that have earned a game ahead of him. If that chips away at his confidence maybe he's in the wrong industry.

Overall I think the game plan is amazing to watch when its up and running.

The Brisbane game had less to do with Goody and more to do with Brisbane handling the conditions better late, especially Charlie Cameron. We had a few guys step up when the game needed to be won and that got us across the line.

At the G I am fully confident that was a 60+ win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back