Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodwin is blessed playing 2 of the worst teams in the comp after the game against Port. If we had played a half decent team instead of Adel and lost he would have been in the middle of a sh@t storm. Anyway half his luck, but having him locked in for the next few years still pisses me off. Pert is a moron thinking Goodwin had to be locked in the same way we have seen coaches like Longmire , Clarkson etc. secured and not available to go to other clubs .

Yep, this is when a coach earns their stripes.

Might have to rejig the magnets this week with some issues in the ruck - but the Pies have their own form and injury concerns coming off a 4 day break.

Really should win this if we are fair dinkum. Pies quite often start fast then fade, whereas we have been starting slow and coming over the top of teams.

Goodwin Melbourne teams pretty much always show where we are at early on, in terms of pressure. Even if we are 1-2 goals down at HT - as long as we bring the pressure I feel like we can roll them with our superior fitness.

He sure did rejigger the magnets LOL

So apparently deserves some credit, we were bringing our 6th forward up to the stoppages all season. Apparently we've abandoned that and are keeping 6 on 6 forward now.

Crazy!

Our midfield looks better with the extra space as we aren't over using the handball now and our forwards are looking dangerous because they aren't fighting against an out number. Long kicks aren't cut off by the spare man anymore.

sure he got it right eventually, but why does it take him years to make even the smallest change? The moment this iteration of our game plan stops working it'll take him till mid 2022 to change it up again

sure he got it right eventually, but why does it take him years to make even the smallest change? The moment this iteration of our game plan stops working it'll take him till mid 2022 to change it up again
Well, to be fair, it takes a long time for Goody to read through all the posts on BigFooty and get a consensus on what's going wrong...

So apparently deserves some credit, we were bringing our 6th forward up to the stoppages all season. Apparently we've abandoned that and are keeping 6 on 6 forward now.

Crazy!

Our midfield looks better with the extra space as we aren't over using the handball now and our forwards are looking dangerous because they aren't fighting against an out number. Long kicks aren't cut off by the spare man anymore.
Sounds like we were copying Richmond. They had that problem against the swans Richmond had an extra at the stoppage while Sydney kept heeney to hold his position in the backline. Anyway good to see some adjustments being made.

Honestly reminding Oliver that he's a bloody good player and can take extra steps with ball in hand has been the biggest change.
I think giving him less handball options has also made him a better player. Now he has to look outside his bubble. Also maybe David King should get a part time job at the club because since he slammed our midfield and the lack of Oliver's run he's been brilliant

Crazy!

yeah it was strange coaching imo.
Goody would always bang on about 'we are a strong contested ball team' but then always push a forward up to the contest as well. if we're so strong around the ball why do we need another player around it? it just always seemed contradictory to me.
and so because of that outnumber he would have the forwards set up close to each other because of the 5 v 6 situation in an attempt to nullify the spare defender (Goodys 'Whirlpool' on his whiteboard), and the mids are told to bang it in to that hot spot and then the forwards all get in each others way and we could never mark the ball, or crumb goals or even at least lock the ball inside 50 because we didn't have the right small forward mix in the team either, and it usually just came out that quick again it would catch us out on the rebound time after time, putting the defenders under huge pressure because there was no time to set up a zone.
even if we did manage to win it back in the middle of the ground our forwards were usually out of position and cooked from doing too much chasing to be effective anyway.
it was crazy Goodwin couldn't see what was happening by playing that extra number around the ball. it just made everything else bloody hard work. and he didn't change it until he copped some massive, and well deserved, flack from the media and Bartlett.

yeah it was strange coaching imo.
Goody would always bang on about 'we are a strong contested ball team' but then always push a forward up to the contest as well. if we're so strong around the ball why do we need another player around it? it just always seemed contradictory to me.
and so because of that outnumber he would have the forwards set up close to each other because of the 5 v 6 situation in an attempt to nullify the spare defender (Goodys 'Whirlpool' on his whiteboard), and the mids are told to bang it in to that hot spot and then the forwards all get in each others way and we could never mark the ball, or crumb goals or even at least lock the ball inside 50 because we didn't have the right small forward mix in the team either, and it usually just came out that quick again it would catch us out on the rebound time after time, putting the defenders under huge pressure because there was no time to set up a zone.
even if we did manage to win it back in the middle of the ground our forwards were usually out of position and cooked from doing too much chasing to be effective anyway.
it was crazy Goodwin couldn't see what was happening by playing that extra number around the ball. it just made everything else bloody hard work. and he didn't change it until he copped some massive, and well deserved, flack from the media and Bartlett.
GWS are doing the same thing at the moment. Genuinely baffling. Also part of the reason I don't want our club to go near Leon Cameron.

Well, to be fair, it takes a long time for Goody to read through all the posts on BigFooty and get a consensus on what's going wrong...
It’s not a coincidence that I started using paragraphs and Sparlie Chargo turned into Kevin Bartlett, is it A11dAtP0w3R?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think giving him less handball options has also made him a better player. Now he has to look outside his bubble. Also maybe David King should get a part time job at the club because since he slammed our midfield and the lack of Oliver's run he's been brilliant
People give King a lot of hit for his predictions, which is justified

But I tell you what when he gets on tv and pulls up video footage he is a ******* good analyst. Unlike most of the muppet analysts who will provide ******* obvious analyst of games like 'Gawn looks to be punching the ball forward alot' or 'they keep switching play to open up the field' King will actually break down tactics that you can't pick up on by watching the game on tv.
He was the one that made everyone aware of Goodwins extra two going through the back of centre clearances in 2018 as well

My favourite David King moment was last year when he called Sam Frost "Premiership kryptonite" but when Hawthorn picked him up he was "A very good player who just needed a good coach". Turns out Frost under Clarko is the exact same player he always was at Melbourne.

Last edited:
People give King a lot of hit for his predictions, which is justified

But I tell you what when he gets on tv and pulls up video footage he is a ******* good analyst. Unlike most of the muppet analysts who will provide ******* obvious analyst of games like 'Gawn looks to be punching the ball forward alot' or 'they keep switching play to open up the field' King will actually break down tactics that you can't pick up on by watching the game on tv.
He was the one that made everyone aware of Goodwins extra two going through the back of centre clearances in 2018 as well
s**t yeah, every campaigner gets it wrong sometimes but king gives you something you can't see anywhere else. Even his analysis on Oliver over handballing was spot on. Everyone else just talks about 'bringing the heat and pressure's

I don't mind king it's good seeing games/plays analysed. Particularly how goals come about because players are lazy or in bad positions ect. Watched 360 and he showed how well organised Geelong were in defense. I also remember when lever first came to the Dees he was playing far too up the ground so he couldn't intercept mark because the ball was going over his head. Sure enough that got corrected. Also on king he said about 3 games into neelds careers he's the wrong match for Melbourne square peg round hole. At the time I was actually angry but he was dead set right.

My favourite David King moment was last year when he called Sam Frost "Premiership kryptonite" but when Hawthorn picked him up he was "A very good player who just needed a good coach". Turns out Frost under Clarko is the exact same player he always was at Melbourne.
The whole commentary around Frost last year was fairly humurous to be fair.

Our key defensive stocks were either injured, the exceptionally spuddy version of OMac, and Frost, who was the only one consistently paying, by virtue of that, Nick Riewoldt named him our best defender, not because he's particularly great, just because he's there.

Somewhere a long the line, that got contorted into Riewold, a recently retired key forward champion, really rating Frost as a defender, so obviously we were mad to let him go, and Hawthorn scored another bargain

What's the difference between clearances and stoppages?

I always thought you got that stat for clearing the ball away from a stoppage
My understanding is there are Clearances and they are broken down into centre clearances and stoppages

Our key defensive stocks were either injured, the exceptionally spuddy version of OMac, and Frost, who was the only one consistently paying, by virtue of that, Nick Riewoldt named him our best defender, not because he's particularly great, just because he's there.

Somewhere a long the line, that got contorted into Riewold, a recently retired key forward champion, really rating Frost as a defender, so obviously we were mad to let him go, and Hawthorn scored another bargain
Sam Frost our best defender, an oxymoron if ever there was one

That said more about our KPD and their form than it does about Frost's ability.

That said more about our KPD and their form than it does about Frost's ability.
Yeah, that's my point ... it was a comment on the form/availability of our KPD, that some how morphed into this ringing endorsement of Frost's ability. The funniest thing was that even Riewoldt was agreeing with it a few months later. Gotta love the footy media I guess.

Yeah, that's my point ... it was a comment on the form/availability of our KPD, that some how morphed into this ringing endorsement of Frost's ability. The funniest thing was that even Riewoldt was agreeing with it a few months later. Gotta love the footy media I guess.

I honestly think a lot of them spew out generic and popular opinions.

I miss pure footy on SEN a few years back with Kingy, Harf and Glenn Luff.

Harf and Daniel Hoyne did a good podcast last year through RSN that was based a lot on stats and was really good.

I honestly think a lot of them spew out generic and popular opinions.

I miss pure footy on SEN a few years back with Kingy, Harf and Glenn Luff.

Harf and Daniel Hoyne did a good podcast last year through RSN that was based a lot on stats and was really good.

I miss pure footy too, was a fantastic segment every Tuesday? I think it was. Lets be honest SEN was miles better pre-Hutchy with KB in the morning, Harf doing afternoons and the Ox and Marko doing drive. Even Finey wasn't bad doing nights either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back