Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, when you're f'ed, there's no consolation in somebody else being more f'ed.
Strongly disagree - the only thing keeping Melbourne supporters sane and spending their time and money investing in the club is being able to construct situations, false or otherwise, where others are worse off than they are. The game of relative, meaningless progress towards the 'premiership window' that teams are forever sliding in and out of somehow. It is an illusion, sure, but it's also the only way we can keep going.

Strongly disagree - the only thing keeping Melbourne supporters sane and spending their time and money investing in the club is being able to construct situations, false or otherwise, where others are worse off than they are. The game of relative, meaningless progress towards the 'premiership window' that teams are forever sliding in and out of somehow. It is an illusion, sure, but it's also the only way we can keep going.
Well, I did say "for me". Sorry, I can't be talked out of it. :p

Goodwin’s match preview presser for GWS ran for 10mins and he used every motherhood statement he could to tell us very little. He could have walked in, said we need to try harder and walked out. Job done in 30secs. The other nine and half minutes told us nothing except Brayshaw out for 3 months and Harmes is still injured .

Then tell them they are dreaming OR not a real Melbourne supporter. Nobody is as bad as Melbourne and most Melbourne supporters don't seem very sane from what I can see.

Watching Saints vs Eagles last night. I found myself mentally checking off all the thing the Dee's would do in a game:-
- Blow an early lead, actually no because most of the time they don't show up. So the saints need to work harder to get on our failboat.
- Suddenly try in the last quarter and totally fail (again Saints need to work on this as they actually got in front for a minute. That is not the way.)
- Best kicks in the team suddenly can't pass.
- The best pass is one that goes 50 metres in the air and lands on someone who has 5 opposition talls around them.
- Have a midfield totally disappear. Or when they do it is six guys in a 1x1 metre area trying to get the ball.

He will be there next year, but I think that will be it as the financial loss will be manageable then.

My two cents on Goody in 2020.

Last 2 games have highlighted, once again, that Goody is incapable of getting the team up when they are expected to have a win, or at the very least to be much more competitive.

This is not the first time that Goodwin has failed the pressure test.

If he can't handle the heat in games like this, then fast forward to the opening rounds of 2021 (IF he is still the coach of MFC) and imagine the pressure he will be under then. Tell me you can't already picture his expressionless face in the post match press conference after the team fail to perform under the media spotlight.

In summary - in minimal pressure scenarios, Goodwin and his team go to water.

In maximum pressure scenarios - Opening rounds of 2021 with already disgruntled, fed-up supporter base and media baying for a coach's blood - spoiler alert - same result. Goodwin and his team go to water.

tl;dr sack Goody.

Who are we replacing him with?

I am 100% for replacing Goodwin if there is a target in mind to replace him. But if the board is just gonna wing it we will end up on the merry-go-round of crap coaches and end up hiring the second coming of Neeld.

Just listened to his press conference. Wasn't super inspiring

However I di like his comment about Bennell being a long term player so him not getting a regular game at the moment is more about them making sure his stamina and body was 100%. Said that Bennell will be given another contract next year

I'm resigned to the fact that we'll be stuck with Goodloss again next year. I just hope that we don't lose too many supporters and that he doesn't kill the desire and development of our promising players.
If we can survive next year with the after effects of covid and a presumably poor season again, we can get rid of Goody and hopefully be on an upwards trajectory. Wishful thinking I know ;)

Did anyone read the article by Jon Ralph in the Hun today?

He was speculating that the board might not be able to get rid of Goodwin because the AFL might not sign off on it.

The funniest bit was the last paragraph...

"It would be a tough sell for the club leaders to move on Goodwin without coming under pressure from members."

Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro writes today that we retain long-standing interest in Clarko & Ross, and that Goody's contract is similar to Ken Hinkley's and we may have an out at the end of 2021.

Also writes that Mahoney is under pressure, and that former player Steven Smith is being urged to challenge Bartlett. Final revelation is that Bartlett & Jackson fell out

Caro writes today that we retain long-standing interest in Clarko & Ross, and that Goody's contract is similar to Ken Hinkley's and we may have an out at the end of 2021.

Also writes that Mahoney is under pressure, and that former player Steven Smith is being urged to challenge Bartlett. Final revelation is that Bartlett & Jackson fell out
I remember hearing Jackson didn’t want Pert anywhere near the joint and Bartlett made the call against advice which then led to the Goodwin extension, not sure if anyone can confirm the facts on that but it certainly wouldn’t be surprising.

Last couple of seasons have really put a dampener on the Roos years, seems like an absolute waste of money and experience when you look back on it now.

Maybe Goody will pull a rabbit out of a hat and we'll suddenly start playing good consistent footy, but it's unlikely.

Mahoney fascinates me.

He has no obvious talent. He is never tasted success. Yet somehow the club rates him highly.

What has he achieved?
He once won a Big Mac for saying "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun." in under 4 seconds.

Mahoney fascinates me.

He has no obvious talent. He is never tasted success. Yet somehow the club rates him highly.

What has he achieved?

He traded a under performing forward who'd rather get on the pingers than play for the 2020 all australian full back. That's all the positives I've got

Remove this Banner Ad

Back