Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It starts at the top with Goodwin and Mahoney, and all their decisions need to be questioned particularly around list management since the end of 2018. While those 2 are running the show we are in big trouble and I’m terrified what damage they will do this off season, I doubt very much we will keep our first pick this year or our first round pick in 2021 as these clowns try and save their jobs and that would be catastrophic.
Id love to see the timeline where Mahoney got the job Pert got.

Im impressed with Mahoney, he takes zero excuses. I maintain he is what we need in the executive.

Goody can * right off back to Adelaide for their rebuild, anyone who condones losing the voices that speak against them doesn't know s**t about leadership

1600600724561.png

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought it was pretty obvious why we have done those trades. May has improved our backline, Langdon has given us much needed outside run. The pick swap with North was because we wanted to get pickett who gives us some much need forward line x factor. Tomlinson is debatable but cost nothing.
I thought it was to make the team better and help us win a premiership, that would of been my guess, 14 out of 39 the last 2 years would suggest we are ******* miles from that, so it would be a good idea to question why that’s the case and why have these trades proved so ineffectual. Pickett clearly gets a pass at this point.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Id love to see the timeline where Mahoney got the job Pert got.

Im impressed with Mahoney, he takes zero excuses. I maintain he is what we need in the executive.

Goody can fu** right off back to Adelaide for their rebuild, anyone who condones losing the voices that speak against them doesn't know sh*t about leadership
Have to agree to disagree on Mahoney, he’s been at the club for 13 odd years and it’s been nothing but failure no matter his role, time to move him on in my opinion

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought it was to make the team better and help us win a premiership, that would of been my guess, 14 out of 39 the last 2 years would suggest we are ******* miles from that, so it would be a good idea to question why that’s the case and why have these trades proved so ineffectual. Pickett clearly gets a pass at this point.
Wouldn't have said ineffectual plus how can Langdon and Tomlinson improve our team in 2019 when they are at other clubs. Could even say even say May couldn't do much being injured most 2019. The problem is more with some of our core group players from 2018 that were playing well look no where near it now. Guys like Harmes, Melksham, Jones, Jetta, Hannan are either in decline or have gone backwards. What's the alternative just sit on our hands and do nothing to the list? I agree that's there's definitely something wrong with the coaching department they aren't getting the best out of our current group.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn't have said ineffectual plus how can Langdon and Tomlinson improve our team in 2019 when they are at other clubs. Could even say even say May couldn't do much being injured most 2019. The problem is more with some of our core group players from 2018 that were playing well look no where near it now. Guys like Harmes, Melksham, Jones, Jetta, Hannan are either in decline or have gone backwards. What's the alternative just sit on our hands and do nothing to the list? I agree that's there's definitely something wrong with the coaching department they aren't getting the best out of our current group.
They were brought in to make us a contender and that’s clearly not been the case and it’s fair and reasonable to ask why, s**t coaching is the biggest reason I believe which leads into players going backwards as you mentioned, but the list evaluation has been terrible. I never suggested they do nothing that would be dumb but it’s fair to ask is what was done the right thing, our record over the last 2 years would suggest not, with trading being one of the problems.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have to agree to disagree on Mahoney, he’s been at the club for 13 odd years and it’s been nothing but failure no matter his role, time to move him on in my opinion
I get where you're coming from. I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think it's fair to say he has been a failure for 13 years.

But i do think the traits that made him struggle in certain football roles would make him an asset in the boardroom side of things.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
They were brought in to make us a contender and that’s clearly not been the case and it’s fair and reasonable to ask why, sh*t coaching is the biggest reason I believe which leads into players going backwards as you mentioned, but the list evaluation has been terrible. I never suggested they do nothing that would be dumb but it’s fair to ask is what was done the right thing, our record over the last 2 years would suggest not, with trading being one of the problems.
May was brought in because at the time we thought we were close but Langdon and Tomlinson were brought in to fill needs. I don't understand the angst with the trade swap with North seems pretty win win for me.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
May was brought in because at the time we thought we were close but Langdon and Tomlinson were brought in to fill needs. I don't understand the angst with the trade swap with North seems pretty win win for me.
When you say fill needs that’s true but you filling those needs to get better and I’m sure in our clubs case make finals and that’s not happened.

I have nothing against the North trade I posted earlier Pickett clearly gets a pass, the more first round picks the better I say, id never trade away a first rounder let alone a top 10 its fools gold, getting the extra pick last year was one of the few things they have got right you draft premierships not trade for them, we need to get as many picks as possible this year.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
When you say fill needs that’s true but you filling those needs to get better and I’m sure in our clubs case make finals and that’s not happened.

I have nothing against the North trade I posted earlier Pickett clearly gets a pass, the more first round picks the better I say, id never trade away a first rounder let alone a top 10 its fools gold, getting the extra pick last year was one of the few things they have got right you draft premierships not trade for them, we need to get as many picks as possible this year.

s**t yeah, worked out a treat for us and Carlton over the last 15 years.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
sh*t yeah, worked out a treat for us and Carlton over the last 15 years.
I prefer the Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond model myself, could even throw in West Coast and Collingwood if you’re feeling generous, but each to their own

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I prefer the Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond model myself, could even throw in West Coast and Collingwood if you’re feeling generous, but each to their own
We already did the Geelong Hawks Richmond model.

We took Bradshaw, Salem, Tyson, Petracca, Oliver, Weid, Hogan etc heavily in a couple year period. They just aren't anywhere near as good as generational talent the other clubs picked up.

People like Franklin, Ablett, Martin etc come about once every decade or so. Going to the draft could leave you with Scully Trengove and Watts. There isn't some guarantee.

We either have to back in that core we have and surround them with the talent they need to flourish (May, Langdon etc) or we throw the baby out with the bathwater and ******* reset again. So bye to Brayshaw, Harmes and anyone worth any sort of value and we go back to finishing 15th because we are full of 18 year olds again

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

We missed finals by a bees dick again but I agree that we need to keep a balance of draft picks and bring in players to fill a need. I don't think we've really burnt much pick wise Ed Langdon is only 24 and the trade was a few draft pick swaps Tomlinson was a free agent. We've still managed to bring in sparrow and hore from 2018 draft and jackson pickett and Rivers in 2019.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
We already did the Geelong Hawks Richmond model.

We took Bradshaw, Salem, Tyson, Petracca, Oliver, Weid, Hogan etc heavily in a couple year period. They just aren't anywhere near as good as generational talent the other clubs picked up.

People like Franklin, Ablett, Martin etc come about once every decade or so. Going to the draft could leave you with Scully Trengove and Watts. There isn't some guarantee.

We either have to back in that core we have and surround them with the talent they need to flourish (May, Langdon etc) or we throw the baby out with the bathwater and ******* reset again. So bye to Brayshaw, Harmes and anyone worth any sort of value and we go back to finishing 15th because we are full of 18 year olds again
We didn’t draft Tyson we traded for him instead of taking Kelly for instance but I get your point, I think you’ve outlined a good start in terms of following that model but we gave up on it and traded away all our picks before we knew what we had which was ******* terrible list management, we hadn’t even mathe finals with that group before we gave up 2 first rounds.

There’s no doubt coaching is the root cause of our problems we’ve been posting about that for nearly 2 years, the teams I’ve mentioned have or had coaches in a different universe compared to our halfwit and as a result a lot of our talent is being wasted, but we also haven’t added a first round midfielder since 2015, it’s the most important part of the ground and we have ignored the elite talent and the less said about what was done up forward the better.

I agree burning it down and staring again is a s**t option I didn’t think we would have to deal with this soon, but we finished 17th and 9th going for it the last 2 years how much worse could it be.

I think we are ****ed until Goodwin is gone either way.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
We missed finals by a bees dick again but I agree that we need to keep a balance of draft picks and bring in players to fill a need. I don't think we've really burnt much pick wise Ed Langdon is only 24 and the trade was a few draft pick swaps Tomlinson was a free agent. We've still managed to bring in sparrow and hore from 2018 draft and jackson pickett and Rivers in 2019.
To be fair to Mahoney I loved what he did last year I terms of the draft and Langdon at his age was well worth the pick traded ,2016,17,18 not so much, but full disclosure I liked Lever at the time and posted as much but felt we paid to much to get him, but I could at least see what the idea was.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Saying making a prelim was an over achievement is a ******* joke. Whilst I agree we weren't a top 4 team in the comp we finished in the Elim final spots and rightly so. That's our level.
The next couple years have been failures and I doubt clubs like WC Sydney or Collingwood would be calling that an over achievement.
Reality is we are a minnow club still happy to make baby steps.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair to Mahoney I loved what he did last year I terms of the draft and Langdon at his age was well worth the pick traded ,2016,17,18 not so much, but full disclosure I liked Lever at the time and posted as much but felt we paid to much to get him, but I could at least see what the idea was.

I might be wrong but was it possible to give Howe what he wanted? We may not have needed Lever if we all ready had a player as an intercept mark. Same situation with Saad yes we need him but why can't we just develop Hunt he was tracking nicely 2016/2017.

Saying making a prelim was an over achievement is a ******* joke. Whilst I agree we weren't a top 4 team in the comp we finished in the Elim final spots and rightly so. That's our level.
The next couple years have been failures and I doubt clubs like WC Sydney or Collingwood would be calling that an over achievement.
Reality is we are a minnow club still happy to make baby steps.

I'll cut him some slack it's been a long year and he said the wrong thing maybe didn't mean to just a bit burnt out and said what he said just to say something. However this sort of mix messaging really piss fans off look at woosha at the dons.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our top 6-8 are as good as any team.

Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, May, Lever, Viney, Langdon. Salem, Harmes, Brayshaw should all be aiming to be in that mix. Jackson, Pickett, Sparrow, Rivers should be fine.

The problem comes with the next 10 players (inconsistent, not taking next step despite ability), the next 12-15 (constantly playing expecting that they're going to be dropped next week, fading talent) and the final 6-8 (serious question marks over their development and ability).

I don’t actually reckon our fringe/bottom 8 players are the issue more than any of the good clubs. Our best players are just s**t at bringing them into the game, and they’re all poorly coached. We have a gameplan that’s basically pivoted around individual brilliance which we rarely see. We could have brought Dan Butler in this year and there’s no way he would have had the impact across half forward for us that he’s had for St Kilda, our system wouldn’t allow it.

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t actually reckon our fringe/bottom 8 players are the issue more than any of the good clubs. Our best players are just sh*t at bringing them into the game, and they’re all poorly coached. We have a gameplan that’s basically pivoted around individual brilliance which we rarely see. We could have brought Dan Butler in this year and there’s no way he would have had the impact across half forward for us that he’s had for St Kilda, our system wouldn’t allow it.
Since when have we had a system?

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
All in all, a successful year from Coach Godwin and I am happy with Melbourne Football Club progress and learnings. Very valuable learnings and the club is working incredibly hard to fix issues with "connection" and big off-season time, train houses down and come back and show us new "connection" between midfield and forward.

It was a tough year with travel, coronavirus, bad luck (Essington game cancelled), otherwise probably make finals and maybe win won? That's a pass mark IMO.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
All in all, a successful year from Coach Godwin and I am happy with Melbourne Football Club progress and learnings. Very valuable learnings and the club is working incredibly hard to fix issues with "connection" and big off-season time, train houses down and come back and show us new "connection" between midfield and forward.

It was a tough year with travel, coronavirus, bad luck (Essington game cancelled), otherwise probably make finals and maybe win won? That's a pass mark IMO.

Disappointingly, we weren't s**t enough to spawn another documentary, you can't be happy with that

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne

Expect MFC to completely miss the sarcasm and post this on the website as evidence of supporter confidence in coach and club...

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We didn’t draft Tyson we traded for him instead of taking Kelly for instance but I get your point, I think you’ve outlined a good start in terms of following that model but we gave up on it and traded away all our picks before we knew what we had which was ******* terrible list management, we hadn’t even mathe finals with that group before we gave up 2 first rounds.

There’s no doubt coaching is the root cause of our problems we’ve been posting about that for nearly 2 years, the teams I’ve mentioned have or had coaches in a different universe compared to our halfwit and as a result a lot of our talent is being wasted, but we also haven’t added a first round midfielder since 2015, it’s the most important part of the ground and we have ignored the elite talent and the less said about what was done up forward the better.

I agree burning it down and staring again is a sh*t option I didn’t think we would have to deal with this soon, but we finished 17th and 9th going for it the last 2 years how much worse could it be.

I think we are f’ed until Goodwin is gone either way.
You're saying a coke addict who had one of the greatest lists since Brisbane's 3 peat who was too busy smashing a sandwich to pay attention to the game and Dimma are coaching geniuses? I'd just about throw up. Also Clarko managed to navigate through the most compromised period in the history of the draft and be on top at the right time. Dimma suddenly became an all time coach after how many years at the caper when he was due to be sacked? I think not. The only thing that ties all of those guys together is their ability to manage the egos on their list. There's a reason every single one of Clarko's assistants is in hot demand every year. Someone behind these blokes is the real brains of the operation, the head coach just takes all the glory.

Back