Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

387126-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Playing
275 games, Adelaide Football Club (1997-2010)
2x Premierships (1997, 1998)
5x All-Australian (2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2009)
3x Malcolm Blight Medal (Adelaide B&F; 2000, 2005, 2006)
Captain of Adelaide, 2008-2010

Coaching
Essendon Assistant Coach, 2011-2014 (Midfield coach)
Essendon Caretaker Coach, 2013 - Record 0W, 1L
Melbourne Senior Assistant Coach, 2015-2016

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now. After all the speculation, we're here. Goody is officially senior coach.

And, well...I think there's a good feeling. He was totally in control in the NAB and well, 3-0. The media were all clamouring for him to begin then...the calls died down as the club simply ignored it. But I think he can really coach. The challenge now is to develop and improve the group to a point where we're a serious contender.

And as an aside...his background...coached by Blight, Craig at Adelaide (much better than Craig at Melbourne), Thompson at Essendon, Roos at Melbourne...that's a huge pedigree. Only Caracella better at the moment IMO with Matthews, Malthouse, Thompson and Scott...and he's not even a senior coach!

Straight out of the Roos playbook.
Except when he throws a curveball (eg the kicking of the Tiges at the B&F). You almost had to watch just for the curveball risk.

Loved the little package they put together yesterday showing Goody behind the scenes a bit.
Really seems like a bloke who won't be afraid to give a spray at the right time but will get the best out of blokes.
He is a foot shorter than Wattsy and nearly put him on his arse!

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Loved the little package they put together yesterday showing Goody behind the scenes a bit.
Really seems like a bloke who won't be afraid to give a spray at the right time but will get the best out of blokes.
He is a foot shorter than Wattsy and nearly put him on his arse!

I saw that too and thought the same things. Looks like he's still damn fit!

From what I've heard, he's a fantastic people person and the players absolutely love him. Whether he can coach or not remains to be seen, but that's a good platform.

I saw that too and thought the same things. Looks like he's still damn fit!

From what I've heard, he's a fantastic people person and the players absolutely love him. Whether he can coach or not remains to be seen, but that's a good platform.
Agree, looks like he could still get a kick and the boys definitely seem to like him.
In saying that, the Richwhat boys love Dimma too o_O

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree, looks like he could still get a kick and the boys definitely seem to like him.
In saying that, the Richwhat boys love Dimma too o_O

Dimma pedals hope, and it seems from what I've seen that Goody is trying to play it down. He was on SEN basically saying that the systems are being put in place and the tools are there, but while they intend to be pushing for finals next year, it might not happen.

Bit like that makeup company... it won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Goody is the only player i can think of that was constantly talked of as a "coach in waiting" while still playing. Neil Craig used to constantly mention this in press conferences. His brain must be wired for footy.

Also you can add Don Pyke to the list of coaches played under. Pyke was Goodwin's midfield coach for a stretch there. Add him in and thats a pretty impressive list of footy brains hes had access to.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I also feel like we're all avoiding the elephant in the room, which is his impressive-sounding surname which can only bode well for us.

It's the little things that count in professional sport.
Certainly the AFL.com.au writers will be happy with the new world of puns that has been opened up for them ...

Dimma pedals hope, and it seems from what I've seen that Goody is trying to play it down. He was on SEN basically saying that the systems are being put in place and the tools are there, but while they intend to be pushing for finals next year, it might not happen.

Bit like that makeup company... it won't happen overnight, but it will happen.
I'm certainly not putting him in the same leaky boat Dimma is getting around in, just a bit of a comparison.
He says all the right things Goody and seems to have that good balance of hard bloke/good bloke.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I'm certainly not putting him in the same leaky boat Dimma is getting around in, just a bit of a comparison.
He says all the right things Goody and seems to have that good balance of hard bloke/good bloke.

I think that's where Dimma falls down to be honest. I think he showed that he's far too worried about being a good bloke at the expense of being a hard bloke when he potted Dustin Martin and his 39 disposal game as ordinary straight after the game, before coming out and pretty much apologising for being mean to him a few days later.

I think that's where Dimma falls down to be honest. I think he showed that he's far too worried about being a good bloke at the expense of being a hard bloke when he potted Dustin Martin and his 39 disposal game as ordinary straight after the game, before coming out and pretty much apologising for being mean to him a few days later.
100%. He's 40 odd % monga too unfortunately.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like that he likes to kick scores. I hate his diamond defence. :rainbow:

Im not fussy or anything, i just want the best of both worlds. :)
The diamond defense was really just a set play from centre bounces that saw the back flankers run in. After the mid point of the season it got stale and they replaced it with a half forward (often Petracca) coming off the back of the square.

The zone defense is a whole different matter. It too got tweaked throughout the year. It wasn't always successful but compared to other sides that tried it - ie. Collingwood - we did a whole lot better and it was important to implement it now before the sides that have been doing it for year(s)- Hawthorn, West Coast, Dogs got too far advanced.

Back