Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah wasn't he the reason Cooney, Griffen and I reckon one other left?

Higgins. And yeah. There was lots of debate about the players being soft, unable to handle strong criticism, but I think McCartney is just bad at player relationships.

Edit: we had others rumoured to want out too. Lucky it wasn't worse for us.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Higgins. And yeah. There was lots of debate about the players being soft, unable to handle strong criticism, but I think McCartney is just bad at player relationships.

Edit: we had others rumoured to want out too. Lucky it wasn't worse for us.

It's hard not to see the parallels with the dogs list aswell. So many good inside players and physical players but a lack of system until 2015 and he was gone

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's hard not to see the parallels with the dogs list aswell. So many good inside players and physical players but a lack of system until 2015 and he was gone
Another parallel they had 1 good month and now back to s**t. All the players that left never won a flag so mehhh. Blaming him as our problem is just weak oh all the poor players dont get along with him or he questions the coach and players which is his job lets have a sad cause we are losing. Didnt hear s**t when we came good last year. Just sounds like a bunch of sooks typical melbourne style. There wouldnt be 1 good team where there isnt infighting or asking more of each other. Melbourne just seems soft and weak and you can see it every game the exact moment we go oh poor me

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Another parallel they had 1 good month and now back to s**t. All the players that left never won a flag so mehhh. Blaming him as our problem is just weak oh all the poor players dont get along with him or he questions the coach and players which is his job lets have a sad cause we are losing. Didnt hear s**t when we came good last year. Just sounds like a bunch of sooks typical melbourne style. There wouldnt be 1 good team where there isnt infighting or asking more of each other. Melbourne just seems soft and weak and you can see it every game the exact moment we go oh poor me

Mate I don't reckon he's the sole problem but the parallels are hard to ignore.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
So pretty much when McCartney got removed from the coaches box last year we came good and played our best footy.. What happened at the dogs when they got rid of him again?
He seems to be great at developing contested footy but obviously struggles with relationships when times get trying.. Time for a big clean out here

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
So his problem is with players and coach but got removed to the bench yeah that'll work with being next to players. He left dogs they snuck into 8 and had 1 good month all the sooks left and didnt win a flag now havent done s**t again.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So his problem is with players and coach but got removed to the bench yeah that'll work with being next to players. He left dogs they snuck into 8 and had 1 good month all the sooks left and didnt win a flag now havent done s**t again.

Nah he got removed from the box because he was creating too much tension and the other coaches couldn't focus

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate I don't reckon he's the sole problem but the parallels are hard to ignore.
Yeah i get that but if ya have a bunch of yes men then nothing will change it just looks like he's actually asking questions and poor old melbourne dont like it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah i get that but if ya have a bunch of yes men then nothing will change it just looks like he's actually asking questions and poor old melbourne dont like it.

That could be true mate who knows. It's worrying because him an Ben Matthews are the only 2 blokes with more coaching experience than Goody I reckon and if he's not in the box then it's basically Goody running everything

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah he got removed from the box because he was creating too much tension and the other coaches couldn't focus
That article is saying with players now if he is demanding and questioning players then they need to harden the * up. Id rather have 1 bloke no one likes when losing but asks the questions that need to be asked than a whole lot of bum tappers saying everything is going great just need to keep doing what we're doing. The fact he needs to now help in defense is a bigger worry and tryna pin it on him is a ******* joke. The fact we dont have 22 players fit to pick is a bigger issue than a bloke rubbing people the wrong way when they've been pathetic

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
That article is saying with players now if he is demanding and questioning players then they need to harden the **** up. Id rather have 1 bloke no one likes when losing but asks the questions that need to be asked than a whole lot of bum tappers saying everything is going great just need to keep doing what we're doing. The fact he needs to now help in defense is a bigger worry and tryna pin it on him is a ******* joke. The fact we dont have 22 players fit to pick is a bigger issue than a bloke rubbing people the wrong way when they've been pathetic

Yeah fair enough. Don't disagree

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Honest question: can someone explain to me in simple terms what a head coach is responsible for?

I get that we have line and Rick coaches and so on.

Who is responsible for integration and creating a cohesive game plan. Is that Goody?

Then the line and ruck coaches focus on the basic skills and necessary tactics to implement head coaches game plan?

Macca coached me at Ocean Grove, he's tough but fair, remembering i told you all when another O.G coach was appointed he would be the disaster. 😉

I can see how he would rub some players the wrong way but honestly they aren't the players id want representing my club anyway, he doesn't have time for the soft or ones that don't work hard/put extra work in themselves.

He's honestly a great bloke. I still see him at my local from time to time, we mainly talk about thepunt andhorse racing, he gives me * all when it comes to inside info about the club, which I can respect.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Macca coached me at Ocean Grove, he's tough but fair, remembering i told you all when another O.G coach was appointed he would be the disaster. 😉

I can see how he would rub some players the wrong way but honestly they aren't the players id want representing my club anyway, he doesn't have time for the soft or ones that don't work hard/put extra work in themselves.

He's honestly a great bloke. I still see him at my local from time to time, we mainly talk about thepunt andhorse racing, he gives me **** all when it comes to inside info about the club, which I can respect.

If this is the case and ive got no reason to doubt ya, who's in our football department making sure McCartney isn't being thrown under the bus for not putting up with bullshit.

Mahoney? Viney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If this is the case and ive got no reason to doubt ya, who's in our football department making sure McCartney isn't being thrown under the bus for not putting up with bullshit.

Mahoney? Viney?
Or the backline coach who he is helping

Mahoney? Viney?

The whole joint since Roos left has gone to s**t imo, all Goodwin did was piggyback off Roos' hard work during the honeymoon period the past two years.

From the outside looking in it Seems to me certain people got ahead of themselves and the club has gone back to assuming everything will just fall into place.

Macca will hold people to standards, that's probably why he's the one copping the flack and push back.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The whole joint since Roos left has gone to s**t imo, all Goodwin did was piggyback off Roos' hard work during the honeymoon period the past two years.

From the outside looking in it Seems to me certain people got ahead of themselves and the club has gone back to assuming everything will just fall into place.

Macca will hold people to standards, that's probably why he's the one copping the flack and push back.

Big Gazza on the couch said the difference between the Saints and Melbourne were symptomatic of our clubs. StKilda were hammered last year and they had full scale reviews, added coaching members and reportedly all turned up for pre season in perfect condition.

We went away thinking a small tweak and we win the premiership. No extra coaching help. No game style review and reportedly turned up in unsatisfactory condition to pre season.

Now we've wasted a season because of it

Big Gazza on the couch said the difference between the Saints and Melbourne were symptomatic of our clubs. StKilda were hammered last year and they had full scale reviews, added coaching members and reportedly all turned up for pre season in perfect condition.

We went away thinking a small tweak and we win the premiership. No extra coaching help. No game style review and reportedly turned up in unsatisfactory condition to pre season.

Now we've wasted a season because of it

As I've said numerous times mate, I've got no idea what we did over the preseason, the whole playing group came back unfit, and it seems as though we are trotting out exactly the same game plan as last year.

The good teams don't sit still thinking they have it solved with a premiership method, they are always looking to get better and exploit others.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
As I've said numerous times mate, I've got no idea what we did over the preseason, the whole playing group came back unfit, and it seems as though we are trotting out exactly the same game plan as last year.

The good teams don't sit still thinking they have it solved with a premiership method, they are always looking to get better and exploit others.

In all of our player interviews post games and with Goody the message has been we need to get back to winning the hardball and the contest etc but we already do that. It's like they have this single focus and that it will magically fix everything else. We were the 2nd greatest contested ball side of all time last year and we got belted a bunch of times. On its own it's not a sustainable way to win. In fact the 3 best teams Richmond, Collingwood and WC hardly have any serious inside players.

In all of our player interviews post games and with Goody the message has been we need to get back to winning the hardball and the contest etc but we already do that. It's like they have this single focus and that it will magically fix everything else. We were the 2nd greatest contested ball side of all time last year and we got belted a bunch of times. On its own it's not a sustainable way to win. In fact the 3 best teams Richmond, Collingwood and WC hardly have any serious inside players.

That's another thing ireckon, Goody is soft, doesnt wana upset his pets, so he leaves the hard work/harsh words to people like Macca.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

Totally agree from outside the place seems to have gone to s**t

One thing I wonder- what was it about Goodwin that got him the gig. Roos seems like a pretty smart cat, I wonder what the traits were that made him get the nod, and has he still got them

Like u said the other day Topkent , Garlett getting held to a different standard than the likes of Brayshaw and Oliver, if youre after player revolt and everyone not buying in i reckon that's a fantastic place to start, having different rules for different players.

Last edited:
Totally agree from outside the place seems to have gone to s**t

One thing I wonder- what was it about Goodwin that got him the gig. Roos seems like a pretty smart cat, I wonder what the traits were that made him get the nod, and has he still got them

Maybe he changed once he was given the top gig? I've go not idea mate, would be interesting to hear Roosy talk about what made Goodwin his choice and if he thinks he's gone off the rails, can't imagine him doing it tho as it probably will look as tho he's undermining him, seems to me he would prefer to keep those opinions/issues private.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Like u said the other day Topkent , Garlett getting held to a different standard than the likes of Brayshaw and Oliver, if youre after player revolt and everyone not buying in i reckon that's a fantastic place to straight, having different rules for different players.

Yeah its pretty clear that Garlett has to work his ass off to get a game, while others can walk around the midfield doing whatever the * they want.
Alex Neal Bullen and OMac are the only 2 who have been dropped this season who were in the best 22. How can we be playing so badly and yet we have only scapegoated those 2 while much more senior and experienced players have been s**t.

His skills arent perfect but ANB is one of the only blokes who makes it to every contest and works from back to front.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember watching a Casey final down at Williamstown a couple of years ago, it was about even at 3QTR time and I wandered down to have a listen to the coaches. Maynard was playing well and he was just screaming "Just lay c/nts out!" - Willy went on to dominate the quarter and we got knocked out of finals.

It may sound like something small but it's literally all we talk about, contest contest contest, and if we start losing that what's the instruction? Hit them harder? Contest more? Be tougher? Our players aren't given any other tools to succeed and as such we have a team stacked full of inside players that drop their heads when they're chasing tail for the majority of the game

We're now so down on confidence through giving up easy goals and botching inside 50s with a lack of method and structure that we can't even win the contest anymore with the best tap ruckman in the game.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This is exactly the game we ******* win aswell. Completely written off, all the supporters have given up. Other clubs feeling sorry for us. Almost certain we win this then lose by 10 goals to the hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back