Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I look forward to his press conference tonight where apparently we will have shown some positive signs but we're "hurting".

He mentioned "fundamentals" and "not being able to connect" in his first sentence. Where on earth is he meant to go for the next five minutes.

My mistake, he still had this gem.

"The key thing we are focusing on is re-establishing ourselves. It’s about working really hard on the things we need to do to get back to being a contested-based side."

"The key thing we are focusing on is re-establishing ourselves. It’s about working really hard on the things we need to do to get back to being a contested-based side."
Didn't watch it. Sounds like typical bullshit from him though. Can we get a coach who isn't full of quotes and actually cares? Total robot

F*cking robot! Same ridiculous lines every week. These press conferences are a waste of time. Footy is so dull these days. It really is. We need more 'Pathetic Pittman' quotes! Throw some players, coaches under the bus. The supporters just want something to grasp right now of no one will show up to the games for the rest of the season except those die hard every week regardless types. My kids went tonight with their mum and they were on their way home halfway through the last. They are losing interest and fast.

There's serious Mark Neeld vibes about him at the moment

Media- "what's wrong with the back line"

Goody- "contested ball"

Media- "what's wrong with Tmac"

Goody- "contested ball"

Media- "are you under pressure"

Goody- "contested ball"

To be fair to goody, not sure what you can really say when your side is playing as bad as we are, you can be overly honest and then you’re a headline, or you can trot out the PR fluff and leave the real truth where it needs to be.

He is quite clearly mad though.

To be fair to goody, not sure what you can really say when your side is playing as bad as we are, you can be overly honest and then you’re a headline, or you can trot out the PR fluff and leave the real truth where it needs to be.

Be nice to actually hear what he thinks

Don't think he knows what's wrong. Nor do I, but I guess I'm not paid to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way dude, this is heaps more Melbourne. 10 years of crushing lows, 1 year of dizzying highs, 10 more years of crushing lows
Tbh it's lucky that Hogan left for pick 5. There's no way we wouldn't have traded our future first rounder for May, which would have made this year even more ******* depressing.

Tbh it's lucky that Hogan left for pick 5. There's no way we wouldn't have traded our future first rounder for May, which would have made this year even more ******* depressing.
If Hogan hadn't left we would be first though.

Goodwin has started to have the look of a man that's gazed long into the red and blue abyss, but only just realised that the red and blue abyss gazes also into him.
Haha. Like so many players, coaches and supporters before him. Was a dead man walking the second he was assigned. The Dees veil of negativity and curse of Norm has got him! He's one of us now! Paul Roos is possibly the smartest man to ever walk into our club. Do his 3 years and GTFO and then take pot shots at us after he leaves! What a brilliant man!

I come in peace.

Genuinely don't think Goodwin can coach. If GWS is a "Ferrari", you guys are a "Bentley"...

The list at Goodwin's disposal should be and needs to be dominating weekly. The performances served up this year have been atrocious. To go from the lofty heights last year to this, simply put, is inexcusable. In my opinion he deserves to be the most under pressure coach in the AFL right now. He seems like he is out of ideas and is flailing for sound bites and quotes to fill the void of not knowing whats wrong and/or how to fix it.

I hope you can turn it around, because when your club is firing you're a joy to watch. But I just don't believe Goodwin is the man to take this team to a premiership, which is ultimately what this current list should be aspiring towards.

On the flip, I have no idea who you could bring in to coach if he got the chop.... Caracella?

It was exciting to watch Melbourne last year.
Players like Brayshaw and Weideman were outstanding.
They have lost confidence, playing has become a chore, which tends to suggest they have lost confidence in Goodwin.
The administrators should be preparing a list of the best available assistant coaches, now.
If the situation deteriorates, by mid-2020, they should select a new senior coach.
Richmond has let several assistant coaches go, no way known Caracella leaves.
You would be looking for someone younger, who has the hunger to succeed.
Goodwin looks like the type of person who thinks he has all the answers, he would be shattered to be dismissed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back