Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Last couple of seasons have really put a dampener on the Roos years, seems like an absolute waste of money and experience when you look back on it now.

Maybe Goody will pull a rabbit out of a hat and we'll suddenly start playing good consistent footy, but it's unlikely.

Roos had a big say in the Goodwin appointment, we didn't get another John Longmire unfortunately. :(

I often wonder if things would be different right now if Sydney didn't block his #1 choice Stewart Dew from joining us.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Roos had a big say in the Goodwin appointment, we didn't get another John Longmire unfortunately. :(

I often wonder if things would be different right now if Sydney didn't block his #1 choice Stewart Dew from joining us.
I posted it before and been bagged for it but Roos is far from innocent in this, he certainly carries a fair share of the blame in regards to Goodwin being the coach of MFC

I posted it before and been bagged for it but Roos is far from innocent in this, he certainly carries a fair share of the blame in regards to Goodwin being the coach of MFC

Meh, if we got Dew perhaps we are fine.

I don't hold him responsible, untried coaches are hard to evaluate unless you've been around them for a while like Roos had Longmire and Dew..

Maybe our list of candidates was just shithouse also.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
This morning I reflected on my position relating to Coach Goodwin and have decided that for as long as he remains Senior Coach of Melbourne Demons I will support him 100%. Carn Simon. Get the boys up so we can smash that pathetic plastic franchise, kebab pile of s**t "Greater Western" Shitney.

I BELIEVE IN YOU SIMON! DON'T LET TOUMP ASS DOWN!

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Meh, if we got Dew perhaps we are fine.

I don't hold him responsible, untried coaches are hard to evaluate unless you've been around them for a while like Roos had Longmire and Dew..

Maybe our list of candidates was just shithouse also.
Maybe so, even more reason not to appointment a bloke off the street, if the best they could do was an unemployed ex assistant who had been let go by a club in crisis its no real surprise it’s gone this badly and Roos is at the heart of that decision.

Maybe so, even more reason not to appointment a bloke off the street, if the best they could do was an unemployed ex assistant who had been let go by a club in crisis its no real surprise it’s gone this badly and Roos is at the heart of that decision.
who else were the candidates? I can't remember

Mahoney fascinates me.

He has no obvious talent. He is never tasted success. Yet somehow the club rates him highly.

What has he achieved?
I think he's ok because PJ liked him and wanted him as CEO.

Inn terms of what he's achieved, you'd have to say the football department in terms of recruiting and list management has been good for years. He's failed miserably at putting together a coaching team though, or is Pert responsible for that?

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
who else were the candidates? I can't remember
Can’t remember either but at best Goodwin was second on the list, probably not the ideal way to choose your coach, didn’t get who you want but this bloke will do, what could go wrong

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Can’t remember either but at best Goodwin was second on the list
iu

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can’t remember either but at best Goodwin was second on the list, probably not the ideal way to choose your coach, didn’t get who you want but this bloke will do, what could go wrong

Goodwin was no where near close to being 2nd cab off the rank.

Are we forgetting that the first 12 months of Roos tenure was a conga line of candidate declining to be the successor?!?! It was embarassing!!!

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What the hell are we supposed to do if we don't appoint second on the list? Appoint no one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
What the hell are we supposed to do if we don't appoint second on the list? Appoint no one?
Club had 2 years to make a choice but as usual s**t their pants and settled for second best or third best or what ever Goodwin was

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Again I ask - so what should’ve they done when Dew said no? Decide not to have a coach?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe decided not to have just any coach would of been as start instead of making offers until someone said yes just to suit a self imposed criteria even though you have 2 years up your sleeve to make a choice

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
TBF he held his nerve well, that was when our dumb campaigner captain turned a certain inside 50 into a shot on goal for GWS
Viney is annoying when he blindly dump kicks the ball forward, Oliver sometimes misses his shoe with his shite ball drop. Umpteen of our players have similar issues and it is incredibly frustrating, yet I sense a general self-awareness of ‘I know I’m not a great kick so I’m just trying to get rid of it quickly and to a spot that might give a teammate a chance of competing.’

Gawn, on the other hand, seems to think he is somehow elite in this area and constantly tries low percentage options that actual good kicks such as Luke Hodge would never consider. It’s mind bogglingly stupid and often costly.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Maybe decided not to have just any coach would of been as start instead of making offers until someone said yes just to suit a self imposed criteria even though you have 2 years up your sleeve to make a choice

Such a ludicrous argument.

Roosy came on board with the proviso an assistant would be chosen to take over.

MFC then targets Dew, who says no, so they then go for the next best option in Goodwin.

Are you suggesting, as Roos was never coaching long-term, the other option once Dew said no was to go without a coach?

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Such a ludicrous argument.

Roosy came on board with the proviso an assistant would be chosen to take over.

MFC then targets Dew, who says no, so they then go for the next best option in Goodwin.

Are you suggesting, as Roos was never coaching long-term, the other option once Dew said no was to go without a coach?

What’s ludicrous is the fact the MFC once again settled for best available not the best and that’s not my opinion that was the club’s opinion, it’s the sort of thinking that means you end up with Lucas Cook after Tom Lynch is gone.

They had 2 years up their sleeve, this idea your keep raising that if Goodwin wasn’t appointed in 2014 we wouldn’t have a coach in 2017 is ridiculous, my whole point is hiring someone you don’t thinks is the best man for the job to fulfil a self appointed criteria is dangerous in any job and just like anybody else in the world the people who make those decisions have to take the blame for the consequences.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s ludicrous is the fact the MFC once again settled for best available not the best and that’s not my opinion that was the club’s opinion, it’s the sort of thinking that means you end up with Lucas Cook after Tom Lynch is gone.

They had 2 years up their sleeve, this idea your keep raising that if Goodwin wasn’t appointed in 2014 we wouldn’t have a coach in 2017 is ridiculous, my whole point is hiring someone you don’t thinks is the best man for the job to fulfil a self appointed criteria is dangerous in any job and just like anybody else in the world the people who make those decisions have to take the blame for the consequences.
I hear you. However, I don’t agree that Roos and co should take the ‘blame’ for Goodwin’s failings. Even if they issued a public apology it wouldn’t make any positive difference. The problems we have in 2020 are twice removed from the hiring of Goodwin in 2014 imo.

Richmond very nearly sacked Hardwick in 2016 and Geelong, Thompson in 2006 (not saying Goodwin will coach 2 flags fwiw). In fact, by most metrics, clubs would’ve been quite justified at the time in doing so. The point being, even if they did, it wouldn’t necessarily mean that it was a terrible/failed process or decision to hire them in the first place.

Definitely agree that it is smart to review and reflect on possible flaws or mistakes made in the past to try and avoid making the same errors in perpetuity. However, it seems to me that we kind of live in a culture and wider society that engages in this emotional thanatourism where we seek out the origin story of present day problems and sit around crying over spilt milk. I have no doubt that I am guilty of this also. As a species, we seem to now enjoy complaining about how bad things are now rather than trying to take action to make them better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back