Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

I actually like the preseason videos especially the draft one. Don’t think we’ll get another hell and back but would love more insight into stuff like deciding on which players etc
Yeah really liked seeing that. Interesting look at how decisions are made on the night and who at the table rates whom.
We probably haven't been quite bad enough for another instalment of THAB. Dispatches from Purgatory, maybe?

It's too late, we are already in "just missed finals, we just need to improve a few things and we'll play finals next year" mode. We needed to collapse properly to get rid of Goodwin. Now we're going to do it all again next year - probably even the inspiring preseason video...
Completely disagree. All the inside word is that the powerbrokers are well aware that we have fallen short. Whether we squeak into the finals or not.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah really liked seeing that. Interesting look at how decisions are made on the night and who at the table rates whom.
We probably haven't been quite bad enough for another instalment of THAB. Dispatches from Purgatory, maybe?
"Destroyed hope: 2020 didn't count anyway"

A 6 part series at how primed the MFC was for 2020 success before the season was ruined by covid. Focusing on
*Lost in transit: worrying about where to go after the game in round 1, and how it didn't effect our opposition as heavily as us.
*The Essendon saga upsetting our routine. Why a lost routine is bad for forward 50 connection.
*Moving from Prahran to Parramatta, to Maroochydore, to Adelaide, back to Maroochydore, to cairns, back to Maroochydore- how changing bed impacts an MFC footballer.
*No fans of cairns: too hot and humid for footy and why giving up is easier.
*Controlling our destiny- harder than it looks.

And finally the double header
*Retribution amongst learnings. A back to back episode, following a dominant demon win, before the boys gather together socially distanced around emo guys iPad streaming the kayo footage of Freo v wb, the dogs kicking away late to resign the boys to missing finals.

Memorable moments including goody telling the boys "we will get em next year, stew on that and take away those learnings", Mahoney "if we bolster our defence in fa we won't need to score more" before Richo tells them "no one will remember this year's premier anyway guys it won't matter"

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
"Destroyed hope: 2020 didn't count anyway"

A 6 part series at how primed the MFC was for 2020 success before the season was ruined by covid. Focusing on
*Lost in transit: worrying about where to go after the game in round 1, and how it didn't effect our opposition as heavily as us.
*The Essendon saga upsetting our routine. Why a lost routine is bad for forward 50 connection.
*Moving from Prahran to Parramatta, to Maroochydore, to Adelaide, back to Maroochydore, to cairns, back to Maroochydore- how changing bed impacts an MFC footballer.
*No fans of cairns: too hot and humid for footy and why giving up is easier.
*Controlling our destiny- harder than it looks.

And finally the double header
*Retribution amongst learnings. A back to back episode, following a dominant demon win, before the boys gather together socially distanced around emo guys iPad streaming the kayo footage of Freo v wb, the dogs kicking away late to resign the boys to missing finals.

Memorable moments including goody telling the boys "we will get em next year, stew on that and take away those learnings", Mahoney "if we bolster our defence in fa we won't need to score more" before Richo tells them "no one will remember this year's premier anyway guys it won't matter"

So keen for this.

Wouldn't mind an episode on how impressive our effort was in the game against Brisbane (who are a "strong football team"). Also a mention of our disgraceful win against Carlton and how hard it is to win in a competition as even as this one.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
So keen for this.

Wouldn't mind an episode on how impressive our effort was in the game against Brisbane (who are a "strong football team"). Also a mention of our disgraceful win against Carlton and how hard it is to win in a competition as even as this one.
I forgot about that. Focusing on the close losses to Geelong, Brisbane and Richmond and guilt our members into buying another membership next year because "we showed we are not far off the top successful clubs"

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Completely disagree. All the inside word is that the powerbrokers are well aware that we have fallen short. Whether we squeak into the finals or not.
Well, wouldn't know about the inside word...

But now we'll have to wait and see if they ring in the changes. I expect them to do nothing about Goodwin, but tinker around with assistants - which they have to do anyway as part of the reduction in cap spend. It's the usual soft-c**k approach we always take. I'd be astonished if they moved on Goodwin now - it's too decisive. Not the Melbourne way.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
So do we all think even if we want him gone he stays? Unless something changes dramatically behind the scenes I can’t see the club turfing him with that ******* contract still two years to run. Ironically he reminds me of Richardson at the Saints before he got the sack, the players are playing for him but the gameplan is absolutely shithouse.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
So do we all think even if we want him gone he stays? Unless something changes dramatically behind the scenes I can’t see the club turning him with that ******* contract still two years to run. Ironically he reminds me of Richardson at the Saints before he got the sack, the players are playing for him but the gameplan is absolutely shithouse.
Yeah he'll definitely get another year courtesy of the contract.

What could happen (but still probably wont) is to go shopping for assistants that have been cut loose and get some better people in around him. We sort of did that last year, but when turds like Chaplin are still around, there is clearly more than can be done.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah he'll definitely get another year courtesy of the contract.

What could happen (but still probably wont) is to go shopping for assistants that have been cut loose and get some better people in around him. We sort of did that last year, but when turds like Chaplin are still around, there is clearly more than can be done.
I'm almost certain Chaplin won't be there after our season ends.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I kind of thought before the season that we are a 6-10 side. Looks like we will finish bottom of that range, but about where this team seems to be.

Curious to know from the rest of you where you thought this team was at 7-8 months ago?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I kind of thought before the season that we are a 6-10 side. Looks like we will finish bottom of that range, but about where this team seems to be.

Curious to know from the rest of you where you thought this team was at 7-8 months ago?

I thought the same tbh, but just frustrating that we belted a few crap sides, lost to the good ones and then dropped two gimmes to likely cost us finals.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

I believed the return of players who were injured/underdone last year (lever, may, Oliver, weideman, McDonald eg) would push us up the ladder and be the rung below rich/geel/wce. I was sort of right, bar McDonald. On top of that, natural improvement from those 20-24yo like Hannan, hunt, Spargo, Fritsch and Dunkley etc. I thought we would be in a scrap for top 4, but just miss out- but still didn't think we would miss finals.

Didn't expect the monumental drop off of brayshaw, harmes, Melksham, vanders, Jetta etc.

Honestly wouldn't be against 1 year contract extensions for players/coaches being the limit from now on.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos

I thought we were a 5-8 list with an 12-16 Coaching team if that makes any sense - which I guess is a crap way of saying about 10th. I firmly believe however with the right coaching team and game plan we could have been much more competitive and dropped a couple of less games

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

I wanted us to simply be better organised around and behind the ball. I thought we would be and I was wrong. I think with a good system we could go deep into finals.

I reckon the Giants have arguably the best list in the comp, however, they have terrible structures. A good setup can make a world of difference.

I wanted us to simply be better organised around and behind the ball. I thought we would be and I was wrong. I think with a good system we could go deep into finals.

I reckon the Giants have arguably the best list in the comp, however, they have terrible structures. A good setup can make a world of difference.
You can see this with Geelong and Richmond very clearly. Blokes like Miers, O'Connor, Rohan, McIntosh, Castagna etc aren't any more talented than Hunt, ANB, Hannan etc but are much better coached so they can fill a role for the team and the team knows how to use them.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well thats finals done. Dogs won't lose to Freo. Club won't sack this ******* robot and we'll get another year of mediocrity before we probably have a bunch of campaigner players want out because we'll sack Goodwin and be going nowhere.

Unbelievable how we've fallen so far since 2018.

Yeah but the learnings have been elite.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well thats finals done. Dogs won't lose to Freo. Club won't sack this ******* robot and we'll get another year of mediocrity before we probably have a bunch of campaigner players want out because we'll sack Goodwin and be going nowhere.

Unbelievable how we've fallen so far since 2018.
But... Dimma did it? :$ :straining:

I dont have much hope, but even i'm not going early. I dont know why people wanted GWS to win anyway, Saints had a superior percentage to us that we probably wouldn't make up against essendon.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I thought we'd be premiers by next Saturday with Jones winning the Norm Smith in his 300th

The latest AFL plan is the clubs will only have to pay out a coach 6 months of a contract if they decide to sack him. This would be amazing for us but I’m not sure how they’ll actually get this to pass. What’s the point of the contract.
Would probably spend more on lawyers arguing the point than the contract anyway.

Back