Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
the managers still adopt the teams gamestyle and tactics its just they have their coaches instruct that on the training ground rather than the manager having to juggle everything

Its a bit like what Geelong did with Bomber Thompson in 2007 and onwards*

* although that may have also been because of his coke addiction!
Yes, you can't be a football muppet. You have to have a workable plan and some tactical nous, and then get the right people in to make it work.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
1 more year guys! We are in countdown mode :) Actually gives us something interesting for the 21 season

As ******* dumb as it is it really seems to boil down to blokes trying hard. Running to the right spots in defence and then working hard into attack. Pretty simple

Dees should get the bloke who coached me in under 9's. "Try hard and have fun"

Dees should get the bloke who coached me in under 9's. "Try hard and have fun"

My under 13 coach mentioned something about needing to be more ruthless.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Haha assistant coaches are funny, if it was Matthew Spanger that we got from the Hawks people would say he's s**t but because he was a good player he's automatically a good assistant

Haha assistant coaches are funny, if it was Matthew Spanger that we got from the Hawks people would say he's sh*t but because he was a good player he's automatically a good assistant
Apart from Bolton, Clarkson assistants have a pretty good record.

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
We all love Yze, but surely we are not setting him up to succeed Goodwin. We don’t have the list, culture, personnel or anything else that will allow us to experiment with another Former Assistant Coach. Shaw and Rutten are good examples that it is a roll of the dice and when things are tough everyone says a mentor is needed for these guys. For me, if we are going to seriously challenge in the next 5 years we need a Lyon, Clarkson, Longmire, Scott etc. Yes we had Roos for 3 years, but to really make that work we needed him for at least 5 years if not longer - but that was never going to happen.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
We all love Yze, but surely we are not setting him up to succeed Goodwin. We don’t have the list, culture, personnel or anything else that will allow us to experiment with another Former Assistant Coach. Shaw and Rutten are good examples that it is a roll of the dice and when things are tough everyone says a mentor is needed for these guys. For me, if we are going to seriously challenge in the next 5 years we need a Lyon, Clarkson, Longmire, Scott etc. Yes we had Roos for 3 years, but to really make that work we needed him for at least 5 years if not longer - but that was never going to happen.
100% agree. I can easily see us installing him as a caretaker coach within the next 2 years. Of course then we'll see a rush of form due to new-coach honeymoon syndrome, then we'll be facing that classic dilemma of whether to keep going with the caretaker. It practically never works out, but we are exactly the type of club to fall for it because we're all about the "optics". We should be already courting Lyon. We need an old school type to fix up our culture of going belly up when we're under pressure.

100% agree. I can easily see us installing him as a caretaker coach within the next 2 years. Of course then we'll see a rush of form due to new-coach honeymoon syndrome, then we'll be facing that classic dilemma of whether to keep going with the caretaker. It practically never works out, but we are exactly the type of club to fall for it because we're all about the "optics". We should be already courting Lyon. We need an old school type to fix up our culture of going belly up when we're under pressure.
Gary has a good track record of 'fixing things'

Back