Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
100% agree. I can easily see us installing him as a caretaker coach within the next 2 years. Of course then we'll see a rush of form due to new-coach honeymoon syndrome, then we'll be facing that classic dilemma of whether to keep going with the caretaker. It practically never works out, but we are exactly the type of club to fall for it because we're all about the "optics". We should be already courting Lyon. We need an old school type to fix up our culture of going belly up when we're under pressure.
We should have already made the call to Lyon. Whatever about 'finances', it's easier to find money than it is to find a good coach.

Sonny Bonds

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wish we had a coach who would speak like this after games intead of Goody's nonsense... Perfect summary of us in 2019

Yeah, it's the word "sometimes" that doesn't fit the narrative here. Can actually see Goodwin saying this, but with that s**t eating smirk he always has.

Yeah, it's the word "sometimes" that doesn't fit the narrative here. Can actually see Goodwin saying this, but with that sh*t eating smirk he always has.

Thats far too brutally honest for Goody. He prefers to speak in cliches and empty promises

Sonny Bonds

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
1608535162471.png

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have been firm on Goodwin not getting us to finals this year then it’s over. I still think that is a non negotiable.
However to his credit he has coaches very well this year. No doubt last year we would have s**t the bed after Saints got on top in the second quarter. We have learned to change the tempo and the foot skills have improved. Not perfect but definitely improved.
We have started to get the best out of ANB and Tmac again and Spargo showing his potential again. Showing confidence in Kozzy and Jordon to. Getting the back 6/7 functioning. It’s early days but a tick for Goody. Also acknowledging the added coaching assets.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I have been firm on Goodwin not getting us to finals this year then it’s over. I still think that is a non negotiable.
However to his credit he has coaches very well this year. No doubt last year we would have s**t the bed after Saints got on top in the second quarter. We have learned to change the tempo and the foot skills have improved. Not perfect but definitely improved.
We have started to get the best out of ANB and Tmac again and Spargo showing his potential again. Showing confidence in Kozzy and Jordon to. Getting the back 6/7 functioning. It’s early days but a tick for Goody. Also acknowledging the added coaching assets.
The inclusion of Yze and/or Choco might have saved his career. Might have...

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Has been better this year as we've clearly changed the way our midfield works, but still only two games in.

GIRO

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yze is coaching people ! Yze is in the box making the calls, talking to the players, Goodwin is just the cheerleader on the bench. After the game Yze is the one having one on one with the players, Goodwin is just walking around with his hands on hips.
It’s clear as day who is coaching this club.

Yze is coaching people ! Yze is in the box making the calls, talking to the players, Goodwin is just the cheerleader on the bench. After the game Yze is the one having one on one with the players, Goodwin is just walking around with his hands on hips.
If they keep on winning I don't give a * tbh

Our elite Systems Administrator not getting enough credit here imo

Pretty sure I applied for that job or another IT support role when I saw it on Seek. My thinking was that whenever we won I could actually take credit for it as an employee of the club.

We all know that Charlie Spargo is the real brains at the club

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Delegating match day responsibilities to the right people sounds like good coaching to me. Hopefully he is also delegating strategy, game analysis, player development, forward/back/midfield coaching, training drills and the like to the right people too.

Pretty sure I applied for that job or another IT support role when I saw it on Seek. My thinking was that whenever we won I could actually take credit for it as an employee of the club.
Probably mentioned this before but I was asked to do a little bit of work for the club after 2018. My thinking is any immediate changes in the team's performance thereafter are purely coincidental.

Sat thru another six minute press conference from Simo trying to find 2021's new buzz word and he's given me nothing again.

Becoming increasingly frustrated.

Sat thru another six minute press conference from Simo trying to find 2021's new buzz word and he's given me nothing again.

Becoming increasingly frustrated.

Sounds like his pressers might actually be becoming watchable?

Sounds like his pressers might actually be becoming watchable?

Depends on your perspective. If you want quality answers, or prefer Simon talking absolute nonsense and in cliches.

Back