Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on your perspective. If you want quality answers, or prefer Simon talking absolute nonsense and in cliches.
I like the old crazy Goody best. I want to see more meandering, automaton-style pressers with unintelligible circular crap like “...our brand of football... contested... contested brand... strong at the contest... pleasing... contested football... very pleasing... journey... supporters journey... contested... our journey... learnings... contested brand... we will take the learnings... pleasing... one week at a time...”

I like the old crazy Goody best. I want to see more meandering, automaton-style pressers with unintelligible circular crap like “...our brand of football... contested... contested brand... strong at the contest... pleasing... contested football... very pleasing... journey... supporters journey... contested... our journey... learnings... contested brand... we will take the learnings... pleasing... one week at a time...”

The losses generally trigger a lot of those tbf, I wait patiently.

Yeah, Goody looked too relaxed and balanced for my liking.

We played our best footy in 2018 under raving mad Goody. When he was making up words like Fugazi on the spot and making little sense in press conferences
We were winning games and he was doing Matthew Mcconaughey impressions to the media, dude was on fire.

Yeah, Goody looked too relaxed and balanced for my liking.

We played our best footy in 2018 under raving mad Goody. When he was making up words like Fugazi on the spot and making little sense in press conferences
There is a reasonable correlation between the quality of a coach and how bonkers/antagonistic their presser are.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit where it's due.
First quarter our zone was absolutely spread like margarine. Second quarter onwards my feeling is we went to a more man on man set up and completely stuffed their ball movement.
I honestly wasn’t sure if we had any kind of back up plan to not continue getting killed in transition. To our credit, we did it even before injuries had them cooked aerobically.

GWS kicked 5 in the first and only 6 after that which included two in a minute at the start of the last which sometimes you can't do much about. Another goal came from that lever switch kick which is a just a terrible mistake. Our defense is our strongest line let's not play like that in the first.

GWS kicked 5 in the first and only 6 after that which included two in a minute at the start of the last which sometimes you can't do much about. Another goal came from that lever switch kick which is a just a terrible mistake. Our defense is our strongest line let's not play like that in the first.
Houses for courses. The zone absolutely smashed Freo. If you can bottle them up with pressure you can kill transition.
Problem was GWS used the Sydney method and chipped and ran it which sliced the zone to nothing. Hard to change within quarter but we made the adjustment at quarter time.

Houses for courses

Know this is a misclick but confused me for a second. Thought you were about to go into a rant about how educated you are in real estate. 😂

Houses for courses. The zone absolutely smashed Freo. If you can bottle them up with pressure you can kill transition.
Problem was GWS used the Sydney method and chipped and ran it which sliced the zone to nothing. Hard to change within quarter but we made the adjustment at quarter time.
Geelong also like to kick their way through a zone definitely can't give them a start.

He's done well so far. The Hunt move is starting to work. Tomlinson to defence last season was a great move. Having the balls to play kids is massive. Sparrow, Jordon, Spargo, Koz, Jackson and Rivers have reinvigorated the side. Changed our gameplan after quarter time yesterday which went a long way to getting it back on our terms. Oliver was getting smashed and you could see him try different things. Happy to try Koz and ANB in the middle at times. The mid setup looks slightly better. Credit where it's due.

We will never know if it was him, Williams or Yze but that move to have Oliver stand deep at the centre bounce was brilliant. Gave Gawn more room to work with his tapps.
The conversation around who's doing what in the coaches box is one that I don't really think matters. Goodwin's job is to be the leader of that team and put belief in the players. If he needs to be surrounded by good footy minds to succeed then he's no different to any other senior coach in the league.

Watching that first quarter a couple of years ago you could pretty much switch off knowing we'd lose. Or when GWS kicked two quick ones at the start of the 4th you would just be hoping we could do enough to drag ourselves over the line before they caught up. We aren't playing amazing football by any means but we are playing more mature football. It's good signs early and I think we'll improve as the year goes on.

The conversation around who's doing what in the coaches box is one that I don't really think matters. Goodwin's job is to be the leader of that team and put belief in the players. If he needs to be surrounded by good footy minds to succeed then he's no different to any other senior coach in the league.

Watching that first quarter a couple of years ago you could pretty much switch off knowing we'd lose. Or when GWS kicked two quick ones at the start of the 4th you would just be hoping we could do enough to drag ourselves over the line before they caught up. We aren't playing amazing football by any means but we are playing more mature football. It's good signs early and I think we'll improve as the year goes on.

Yeah agreed, plus once the players nature enough the coaches don't do * all really, the players carry it

Coach GOATwin, Coach GOdwin, not sure what I prefer yet.

Love that cheeky smile of his you get in the post-match :thumbsu:

Lot of whipping boys seem to have found some form- gus, hunt, salem, macdonald. coincidence? i think not.

lots of lovely backslapping and “get around him!!” in the team right now, players looks really happy.

“humming along nicely” as they say.

Respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back