Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Goodwin wasn't our development coach...

I don’t know how it works down under. But if the head coach isn’t concerning himself with such a massive deficiency in such an important area, it would seem strange to me that he wouldn’t be near the top of the list for criticism.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don’t know how it works down under. But if the head coach isn’t concerning himself with such a massive deficiency in such an important area, it would seem strange to me that he wouldn’t be near the top of the list for criticism.

It's not about that, it's more that the head coach often doesn't take training or set the training programs.
Besides no one was saying he didn't do it before, just the new bloke Choco is completely obsessed with it. But he's not the head coach so he can be.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goodwin wasn't our development coach...
Correct, but considering he is the coach, the man in charge, and his teams disposal efficiency is the worst in the league and has been poor for some time, it might be something he’d want to look at don’t you think

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, very simple concept

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Correct, but considering he is the coach, the man in charge, and his teams disposal efficiency is the worst in the league and has been poor for some time, it might be something he’d want to look at don’t you think
Yeah so they hired a ******* development coach who likes kicking drills
I don't even understand what youre unhappy at.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah so they hired a ******* development coach who likes kicking drills
I don't even understand what youre unhappy at.
Calm down, who said im unhappy I think it’s fantastic we have somebody prioritising an area we are worst in the league at

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you take a look at the weekend in isolation our disposal efficiency was 64% to 69%. We could get the efficiency up but that would require us to play boring as bat s**t Geelong style. We can be better no doubt and I do think we went too quick at times when we needed to be slow but I'm just saying there's a bit of a price to pay if you want to play quickly.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Calm down, who said im unhappy I think it’s fantastic we have somebody prioritising an area we are worst in the league at
There's literally 0 evidence it wasn't prioritised before, it was just an anecdote about Williams that you've taken to a weird conclusion mate

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's literally 0 evidence it wasn't prioritised before, it was just an anecdote about Williams that you've taken to a weird conclusion mate
I never said there wasn’t any evidence it hadn’t been work on before, what I’ve said is it’s fantastic the club is working on an area we are worst at the league at ie disposal efficiency, no weird conclusions there as long as you were being truthful regarding your anecdote

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you take a look at the weekend in isolation our disposal efficiency was 64% to 69%. We could get the efficiency up but that would require us to play boring as bat sh*t Geelong style. We can be better no doubt and I do think we went too quick at times when we needed to be slow but I'm just saying there's a bit of a price to pay if you want to play quickly.
Yep good point, I’ll counter that to an extent by saying the bulldogs have had the ball more than any other team and also have the best efficiency, but that’s by hand and foot, if we can improve from 18 to 12 that would be massive

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep good point, I’ll counter that to an extent by saying the bulldogs have had the ball more than any other team and also have the best efficiency, but that’s by hand and foot, if we can improve from 18 to 12 that would be massive
I think the main thing to get right is hitting kicks under pressure. Look at the amount of turnover we caused against Geelong due to pressure.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond had the highest clanger count in premiership years. The biggest thing for us now is we are defending very well as a team without the ball. Doesn’t matter if we turn it over a bit when we are so hard to score against. This could all change for the worse in a couple weeks but for now disposal efficiency isn’t an issue.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Our effort has been really good and very consistent for 4 weeks now. I’ve been particularly happy with our starts from the first bounce. Love that they start Kozzy in the centre to gives us an initial spark.

I think the effort levels speaks to the players buy-in and confidence at the moment, which at stages last year looked very low (Sydney, Freo games etc).

Long way to go yet but a very promising start with the visible changes already mentioned.

Just be happy we are winning and have a good coaching panel. I don't get the focus on the head coach when it is the panel who collectively prepare the team and do the game day things.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

We were ranked 11th in kicking and disposal efficiency last year. We have moved to a whopping 9th this year.

We were ranked 11th in kicking and disposal efficiency last year. We have moved to a whopping 9th this year.
Club is clearly stuffed.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Given Yze is our midfield coach any changes in our midfield since his appointment should logically be credited to him.

Oliver and Viney not clashing heads multiple times every quarter is one change, Brayshaw finding a role in the midfield when hardly anyone thought he was capable of this is another. Two big "ticks" right there IMO.

If we can show a consistent effort every game, change tactics mid-game, and not go to sleep halfway through a quarter etc. etc. etc. I think it's fair that Goodwin gets some credit for that.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Given Yze is our midfield coach any changes in our midfield since his appointment should logically be credited to him.

Oliver and Viney not clashing heads multiple times every quarter is one change, Brayshaw finding a role in the midfield when hardly anyone thought he was capable of this is another. Two big "ticks" right there IMO.

If we can show a consistent effort every game, change tactics mid-game, and not go to sleep halfway through a quarter etc. etc. etc. I think it's fair that Goodwin gets some credit for that.
But was it Yze from start to finish or did Goodwin say "Hey Ooze, great to have you on board. I've identified that our midfield is playing for themselves, not for each other. I want you to focus on that and achieve outcomes a, b, and c."

These are the things we on the outside just can't ever know and mean it's pretty tough to pass judgement or attribute credit to any individual.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's no coincidence successful assistant coaches are at successful clubs! Haha. So many elements in play. Look at Sydney. Don Pyke comes on board and they are flying. Yze/Choco come on board and we are going well. I also think becoming a great coach takes some time. Maybe Goodwin has turned the corner? Listening to his assistants more? Willing to try new things? Helps we have some very good players on the list too. We seem to finally have a very good balanced list. I think him being at ground level is great too btw. I'm guessing Yze etc are up in the box. This possibly shows they have more control during gameday on what is happening on the field while Goodwin can talk to his players face to face. I think that is his strength as a coach. Building relationships with the players.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
But was it Yze from start to finish or did Goodwin say "Hey Ooze, great to have you on board. I've identified that our midfield is playing for themselves, not for each other. I want you to focus on that and achieve outcomes a, b, and c."
Fair call. Going by their job titles, I'd assume the senior coach would identify the outcomes they want, and the line coaches who work under them would achieve those outcomes.

Which means right now, as far as I can tell, Simon and Yze are both ******* legends :thumbsu:

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's no coincidence successful assistant coaches are at successful clubs! Haha. So many elements in play. Look at Sydney. Don Pyke comes on board and they are flying. Yze/Choco come on board and we are going well. I also think becoming a great coach takes some time. Maybe Goodwin has turned the corner? Listening to his assistants more? Willing to try new things? Helps we have some very good players on the list too. We seem to finally have a very good balanced list. I think him being at ground level is great too btw. I'm guessing Yze etc are up in the box. This possibly shows they have more control during gameday on what is happening on the field while Goodwin can talk to his players face to face. I think that is his strength as a coach. Building relationships with the players.
I reckon you've hit it on the head when you say that Goodwin's strength is his relationship with the players. That's why he's down at the bench.

I'm not sure that he brings much else, given his bizarre decisions over the past couple of years. But that's OK. If everyone is doing the thing that they're good at and it's working, then you can't ask for much more.

I do feel that Richardson's role in identifying the issues and recommending the changes that have been made has probably been understated. Bringing in Yze and Choco was inspired (though a few posters here had been calling for exactly that), and I suspect there have been other changes made with regard to the decision making processes off field that could also be attributed to Richardson.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not according to the AFL website, we are 6th for total disposals 18th for efficiency, the bulldogs according to the AFL website are are 1st and 1st.

Either way I’m struggling to understand why you’ve got your knickers in such a knot over this, I don’t think I could post anything less controversial than I think its fantastic that our club is working on their kicking, couldn’t possibly be fake outrage at play could it TK

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the main thing to get right is hitting kicks under pressure. Look at the amount of turnover we caused against Geelong due to pressure.
The pressure applied has been fantastic, leading the league in tackles inside 50 for instance, kicked a bit better and that game was over at halftime.

Not according to the AFL website, we are 6th for total disposals 18th for efficiency, the bulldogs according to the AFL website are are 1st and 1st.

Either way I’m struggling to understand why you’ve got your knickers in such a knot over this, I don’t think I could post anything less controversial than I think its fantastic that our club is working on their kicking, couldn’t possibly be fake outrage at play could it TK

If anything that just shows what a useless stat disposal efficiency is. Noting that the difference between 1st and 18th is about 8%

Back