Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
If anything that just shows what a useless stat disposal efficiency is. Noting that the difference between 1st and 18th is about 8%
We’ll have to agree to disagree, quick question though would you like our goal kicking efficiency to go up by 8%?

We’ll have to agree to disagree, quick question though would you like our goal kicking efficiency to go up by 8%?
Not really sure what the relevance is? Goal Accuracy is a different stat that is a measurement of shots on goal. Disposal efficiency is a measurement of every disposal be it a handball, kick, under pressure or in open space from any part of the ground. It doesn't matter how effective or damaging the disposal actually is. A 15 metre sideways kick is considered just as efficient as a 50m lace out bullet to the chest of a full forward. A shank turnover to a rebounding player who strolls into an open goal is considered just as inefficient as a handball in tight that goes to an opposition player who is immediately tackled for a ball up. It's a reductive stat which doesn't account for decision making, difficulty or how teams set up.

FWIW our Goal accuracy has been poor, almost 15% lower than the Eagles who are first. But exaccerbated by an outlier against St.Kilda and a small sample size. Last year we were 6th with 48%, 1st were Hawks with 50.5%

Edit: Mixed up Scoring Efficiency with Goal Accuracy.

Last edited:

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not really sure what the relevance is? Goal Accuracy is a different stat that is a measurement of shots on goal. Disposal efficiency is a measurement of every disposal be it a handball, kick, under pressure or in open space from any part of the ground. It doesn't matter how effective or damaging the disposal actually is. A 15 metre sideways kick is considered just as efficient as a 50m lace out bullet to the chest of a full forward. A shank turnover to a rebounding player who strolls into an open goal is considered just as inefficient as a handball in tight that goes to an opposition player who is immediately tackled for a ball up. It's a reductive stat which doesn't account for decision making, difficulty or how teams set up.

FWIW our Goal accuracy has been poor, almost 15% lower than the Eagles who are first. But exaccerbated by an outlier against St.Kilda and a small sample size. Last year we were 6th with 48%, 1st were Hawks with 50.5%

Edit: Mixed up Scoring Efficiency with Goal Accuracy.
Didn’t think it was that hard a question, as I said agree to disagree

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not according to the AFL website, we are 6th for total disposals 18th for efficiency, the bulldogs according to the AFL website are are 1st and 1st.

Either way I’m struggling to understand why you’ve got your knickers in such a knot over this, I don’t think I could post anything less controversial than I think its fantastic that our club is working on their kicking, couldn’t possibly be fake outrage at play could it TK
The Bulldogs are 1st because they handball it to each other 70000 times. Tigers are often bottom few for disposal efficiency, it's probably the least relevant stat you can base things on.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Bulldogs are 1st because they handball it to each other 70000 times. Tigers are often bottom few for disposal efficiency, it's probably the least relevant stat you can base things on.
Jesus you blokes have got wound up over this, I never said it was the most important stat what I said was it’s fantastic the club has a focus on kicking and I’ll add to that by saying it’s great Williams is leading it as it appears to be a big area of expertise for him.

Our kicking efficiency has apparently gone from 12th to 8th year according to Williams and hopefully it goes higher. As I said,me saying it’s fantastic they are making improve kicking a focus is about as uncontroversial as it gets, not totally clear why you are so outraged.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Jesus you blokes have got wound up over this, I never said it was the most important stat what I said was it’s fantastic the club has a focus on kicking and I’ll add to that by saying it’s great Williams is leading it as it appears to be a big area of expertise for him.

Our kicking efficiency has apparently gone from 12th to 8th year according to Williams and hopefully it goes higher. As I said,me saying it’s fantastic they are making improve kicking a focus is about as uncontroversial as it gets, not totally clear why you are so outraged.
Pretty simple, instead of saying yay our kickings great you tackle subtle digs everywhere, then when pushed on your opinion with a rebuttal you get defensive and throw it back lol. Relax mate everyone's having a good time this year.

He didn’t actually answer the question asked but the response made me smile which was the point of the question to begin with
Read my response again. What do you reckon my answer would be to a question which is in essence "would it be good to kick more goals?"

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty simple, instead of saying yay our kickings great you tackle subtle digs everywhere, then when pushed on your opinion with a rebuttal you get defensive and throw it back lol. Relax mate everyone's having a good time this year.
My apologies TK, I’ll make a point of no longer taking subtle post shots at poor Simon or for that matter anyone else involved with MFC. For * sake is this really why you are so wound up, out of the 2 of us I don’t think it’s me that needs to stop being defensive. And the irony and your complete lack of self awareness regarding you getting offend at me taking potshots at Goodwin isn’t lost on me.

You taking potshots at anything and anybody you slightly disagree with on any subject is your MO.

But other than that I’m having a great time and really enjoying the footy at the moment, as I’ve posted before the path of least resistance is Goodwin coming good and hopefully we are seeing that before our very eyes.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Read my response again. What do you reckon my answer would be to a question which is in essence "would it be good to kick more goals?"
It was a fine response but it didn’t answer the very simple question, which to be fair wasn’t the point of the question to begin with. But you could of saved yourself some time by answering yes I would like to see our goal kicking efficiency go up by 8%, but that would of contradicted part of your previous post wouldn’t it

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jesus.... I never seen such passionate defence of conclusions drawn from assumptions.

On Chocco... I read somewhere he has this effect on a team for a good 2-3 years, but then the relationships start to polarise.

Both Port and Tigers have sources saying he starts to white ant the club structure after a while, then moves on.

I don't give two *s, but we'd better make hay if its true

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
It wasn’t until the Geelong win that we can say something really good could be happening here. Coaching staff that now includes Choco etc. appears to give us a mix this year that is working. So whether Goodwin is less influential and the other coaches are being heard, whether he is a better listener this year and is more flexible, or maybe it can all be put down to random good luck. Bottom line is 4-0 gives everyone a hard-on and coaches are obviously playing a big role. Life is good but as we know things can turn very quickly so everyone including players/ coaches can’t start pissing on each other’s back thinking they’ve done enough for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the guessing I'm talking about, it's actually more likely that others were in charge of the game plan and opinions on match day strategies.
Brisbane were incredible last year and Fagan has said a bunch of times he has nothing to do with the the gameplan or positional moves. It's not 2004 anymore.

You cant make gameday changes when the players aren't mature or good enough to enact them. How do you pass a message across to 18 players on the field? Bloody difficult. It's more like you have leaders in each area who you trust to know when it's time to change and they can talk to blokes around them

For instance tell me a great game day coach who isn't a good coach overall though ...

I'll wait...

I think you're taking what I've said out of context to make a point about something else you wanted to push?

I never said they were moving players around willy nilly or changing gameplan in the middle of the match. But there's clearly more rotations going on this year, a lot of them will be pre planned, but I think there's a few more rotation calls being made during the game. I think Gawn is being moved around more depending on the state of the game. Oliver being moved forward when he was being tagged the week before another example, and I doubt that move was pre planned to happen at the x minute mark of the second quarter.

That's what I'm getting at. If the 200 coaches that sit up in the boxes on gameday don't make any decisions on rotations and adjustments in the positioning of certain players at all during the match, then why on earth would they all be there?

On Chocco... I read somewhere he has this effect on a team for a good 2-3 years, but then the relationships start to polarise.

Both Port and Tigers have sources saying he starts to white ant the club structure after a while, then moves on.

I don't give two fu**s, but we'd better make hay if its true

Interesting. Seems good at what he does but hasn't stayed long at Richmond or GWS so makes sense.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think you're taking what I've said out of context to make a point about something else you wanted to push?

I never said they were moving players around willy nilly or changing gameplan in the middle of the match. But there's clearly more rotations going on this year, a lot of them will be pre planned, but I think there's a few more rotation calls being made during the game. I think Gawn is being moved around more depending on the state of the game. Oliver being moved forward when he was being tagged the week before another example, and I doubt that move was pre planned to happen at the x minute mark of the second quarter.

That's what I'm getting at. If the 200 coaches that sit up in the boxes on gameday don't make any decisions on rotations and adjustments in the positioning of certain players at all during the match, then why on earth would they all be there?
I totally get what you're saying, my point was you only notice these things cause they were winning. They made plenty of moves last year aswell but when you lost by 5 goals everyone says you coached bad.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I totally get what you're saying, my point was you only notice these things cause they were winning. They made plenty of moves last year aswell but when you lost by 5 goals everyone says you coached bad.

Yeh maybe in some areas, but I 'd say there was far less centre bounce midfield rotations last year, it just felt like it was the same 3-4 mids with Gawn every time, this year we're changing things up in there a fair bit more, which would translate to other rotations around the ground as well

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeh maybe in some areas, but I 'd say there was far less centre bounce midfield rotations last year, it just felt like it was the same 3-4 mids with Gawn every time, this year we're changing things up in there a fair bit more, which would translate to other rotations around the ground as well
Who else have we added to the rotations? Pickett and Jordan. Neither of whom were ready last year.

Last year we had Harmes and VDB going through the middle, it's not some magic change. Just better players available even though Jordans been average.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who else have we added to the rotations? Pickett and Jordan. Neither of whom were ready last year.

Last year we had Harmes and VDB going through the middle, it's not some magic change. Just better players available even though Jordans been average.

I reckon I've seen the occasional ANB, Sparrow and I may be dreaming on this one, but has Jones had a centre bounce or two this year? Other guys like that are obviously not part of the set rotation, but reckon there's been the odd one thrown in as a change up or give someone rest.

Back