Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I've seen the occasional ANB, Sparrow and I may be dreaming on this one, but has Jones had a centre bounce or two this year? Other guys like that are obviously not part of the set rotation, but reckon there's been the odd one thrown in as a change up or give someone rest.
I must admit last year was hard to watch but I reckon Jones got quite a few centre bounces didn't he?

I also feel like the centre bounce rotations have been more flexible but can't really back it up. Does the Essendon supporting dude who reports them have a big database we can look at?

I found Mark Williams comments in his interview on SEN on Goodwin interesting. Said he was very open and approachable but also very willing to listen to suggestions and bounce ideas off people.

I think this might be a big part of the change we've seen at the club as he has never come across this way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's give this mofo some credit. We sure as * would have critized him if we were 0-6

He was ahead of the curve in 2018 before the 6-6-6 stuffed his 4-6-8 starting grid with the back flankers running forward

Move to 2021. His defensive structure is ahead of the curve. It's phenomenal and so under rated in our performance this year

Yes Yze and Williams may have played apart but * me his structures are immense atm and even if they aren't his own ideas he has implemented them

Kudos Goodwin!!!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Goodwin is one is usually the first to cop it, and the last to garner any sort of praise when things go right.

You can all cheer and praise the people around him, but if you're going to blast him first when s**t hit's the fan, actually give him credit first too for this great start to the year

Let's give this mofo some credit. We sure as fu** would have critized him if we were 0-6

He was ahead of the curve in 2018 before the 6-6-6 stuffed his 4-6-8 starting grid with the back flankers running forward

Move to 2021. His defensive structure is ahead of the curve. It's phenomenal and so under rated in our performance this year

Yes Yze and Williams may have played apart but fu** me his structures are immense atm and even if they aren't his own ideas he has implemented them

Kudos Goodwin!!!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Just as importantly has been sticking with the smalls. ANB and Spargo who 80% of posters on here would have delisted are both huge for our forward pressure.
Giving Jackson heaps of ruck time etc.

I was one who posted some idiotic meltdown s**t about Simon at stages. Sorry Simdog.
Dude is getting a lot right these days though. Also has a real midlife crisis look about him which I endorse 100%.

It’s weird that one of the criticisms of him was that he has ‘no plan B’. Which team in the history of the game has had a plan B? You play the way you play and that’s about it, you can’t just change styles mid game. Credit to him, he stuck with his shithouse game plan and it’s actually evolved a bit. Didn’t see it coming.

Oh one little thing not that it matters, but until now richmond was the only team he hadn't beaten in his time as a senior coach
Fitting given how close we came in 2017, and that loss really set the Tigers up that year in a season where we missed finals on percentage.

Goodwin has to get credit for 2021 I agree. If he is listening to the people around him and taking and implementing advice then what a great group effort which he is obviously leading. But, if over the past few years he has been an autocrat who was totally inflexible and would not listen then he probably deserved a lot of the crap fired at him . Problem is we don’t know exactly what goes on behind closed doors.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ll always maintain that we played great footy in 2017 and without injuries could have made more of a shakeup that year than we did in 2018. They got badly found out after the first quarter of our R4 game in 2018 and 6-6-6 made things worse by robbing Goody of his one trick of playing runners off the back of the square and we’ve been in the wilderness since. I don’t know enough about tactics and structures etc to understand what’s really going right this year but a lot (not all) of it just looks like copying Richmond to me.

I’ll always maintain that we played great footy in 2017 and without injuries could have made more of a shakeup that year than we did in 2018. They got badly found out after the first quarter of our R4 game in 2018 and 6-6-6 made things worse by robbing Goody of his one trick of playing runners off the back of the square and we’ve been in the wilderness since. I don’t know enough about tactics and structures etc to understand what’s really going right this year but a lot (not all) of it just looks like copying Richmond to me.
I don't think we are copying Richmond. They cheat forward when the balls in dispute. That's why all their players just get it forward at all costs because they trust that's what they'll do. That's why they score so easily because they always out number in the forward half.

We defend behind the ball like them, but we don't attack anything like them. We also have a beast of an inside midfield that Is stepping up and allowing us to keep a structure forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back