Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall Dermie saying anything negative towards the 'unsociable Hawks' he probably was encouraging. I remember seeing Hodge bump Travis boaks head into the behind post, still don't recall anything negative from dermie there either.
He was proud of the Hawks after the line in the sand game

Which by way I don't have a problem with it, just stay consistent

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

He was proud of the Hawks after the line in the sand game

Which by way I don't have a problem with it, just stay consistent

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Which is the issue with Brereton. For a guy who played hard to the point of bending and breaking the rules he has little self-awareness when he starts highlighting the dirty little tricks players he doesn’t like pull such as Goodes, Selwood, Oliver and Fritsch but then will laud someone he does know and like such as Toby Greene for being clever with the same sort of s**t. Calling Fritsch’s body check on Grainger-Barrass a cheap shot was laughably soft from a bloke who had no problems stomping on an opponent’s head.

Geez what did I just read? I know it was a shithouse performance but I can't believe people are still lining up for Goodwin when we are top of the ladder lol.

I've gone back through the last few years:

Last year the tigers lost to 2 bottom 8 teams in a shorter season,
2019 they lost to 3,
2018 West Coast lost to 3
2017 Richmond lost to 4

These results happen every year. LOVE YA G000DY!

Used to go past the tennis courts on the way to Baxter Park and think of him walking the same track throwing rocks at the tennis kids. Dermie would be sick to have a drink with but he's not the most consistent bloke around.
I had a drink with him once. Well not totally but he bought me loads of drinks once.

He actually spilled some weird cocktail all over me as I was just sitting down at my table at chin chin. I was saturated in pomegranate stuff but didn’t mind so much because I was already kind of squiffy. But it ended up great because he insisted on paying for the cocktails I had ordered, then sent a bottle of champagne to the table. My partner doesn’t fancy champers so I took care of things on that front. All in all it was a great and inexpensive night

Last edited:
I absolutely love listening to Dermie - it's an absolute pisser.

Not for the insight of his commentary, but for the theater of it. The way he paces his sentences is so bizarre. Sometimes sounds like he's having a stroke.

You don't want him commentating on a Dees game, but a rubbish Sunday arvo game between 2 crap teams is heaven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently if you explain something to a woman its mansplaining and is derogatory and sexist................
I've always thought it refered to specifically condescending explanations, in which case just say someone is condescending, their gender has nothing to do with it.

I've always thought it refered to specifically condescending explanations, in which case just say someone is condescending, their gender has nothing to do with it.
Yeah that's pretty much it. Derm mansplains everything, not a gender thing.

Apparently if you explain something to a woman its mansplaining and is derogatory and sexist................
Nah. It’s a real thing. Different to just regular explaining. You’d know it if you heard it. Involves extra slow speech at times and generally weird pacing, some key point repetition that is entirely unnecessary and frequently involves the presenter with somewhat less expertise then they should lay claim to

I absolutely love listening to Dermie - it's an absolute pisser.

Not for the insight of his commentary, but for the theater of it. The way he paces his sentences is so bizarre. Sometimes sounds like he's having a stroke.

You don't want him commentating on a Dees game, but a rubbish Sunday arvo game between 2 crap teams is heaven.
Next time a player takes a mark inside 50, just focus on this.

The player has 30 seconds to start his shot for goal. Derm will start waffling on about whatever it is, and he will use his full 30 seconds and just finish making his borderline irrelevant point, right at the moment the player kicks for goal.

I used to get mad, but filling in those full 30.. that's a skill in itself.

Next time a player takes a mark inside 50, just focus on this.

The player has 30 seconds to start his shot for goal. Derm will start waffling on about whatever it is, and he will use his full 30 seconds and just finish making his borderline irrelevant point, right at the moment the player kicks for goal.

I used to get mad, but filling in those full 30.. that's a skill in itself.

I remember there was a bloke who used to call in SEN and would do impersonations of different AFL personalities. He did Gerard Whately, Robbo, etc but his impersonation of Dermie was the best. He absolutely nailed the waffle.

I remember there was a bloke who used to call in SEN and would do impersonations of different AFL personalities. He did Gerard Whately, Robbo, etc but his impersonation of Dermie was the best. He absolutely nailed the waffle.
Haha I think I remember the guy you're talking about.

If he just said it how it was, he probably wouldn't be so intolerable.

Does this bloke have eyes?

It was the fourth time in their past six games the Demons have kicked nine goals or less and will see them finish the round with likely the second-lowest score tally of clubs inside the top-eight. They have averaged 69 points a game since beating Brisbane in round 12.

But Goodwin said he didn't believe it was a major issue as his side handed over first position on the ladder to the Bulldogs.

"It's really about maximising opportunity and being efficient when you need to. Clearly we had our chances tonight to kick a bigger score, there's no question about that," Goodwin said.

"I'm not worried one bit. Our belief is still really strong in the way we play. They kicked six goals from their forward-50 stoppages, and normally in a game it's one-to-two, so that's a big differential and it's an anomaly.

"We sit here confident. Would we like to score more? Of course we would. But it wasn't a major issue. We had our chances tonight."

----

We come into the season with a game plan that works. We win 10 on the trot. Other teams then slowly figure out said game plan and we've had one convincing victory since the bye 6 weeks ago. We have changed nothing and gotten progressively worse. Scoring less and conceding more.

But Goody is just happy to be thereabouts.

Let me roll this line again:

"Would we like to score more? Of course we would. But it wasn't a major issue. We had our chances tonight."

HOW THE * DO YOU INTEND ON WINNING GAMES OF ******* FOOTBALL IF NOT SCORING IS NO BIG DEAL BECAUSE WE 'HAD CHANCES' (THAT WE ******* BLEW BECAUSE NONE OF OUR FORWARDS CAN KICK).

SO ******* IRRITATING. HE WILL NEVER BE A PREMIERSHIP COACH.

Things need changing up. Can’t rely on a miraculous form turnaround this deep into the season.

A few things I’d like to see:

- Petracca spending at least 50% time forward. Stoppage numbers and Trac’s kicking efficiency indicate we don’t have much to lose using Jordon and Sparrow around stoppages more and getting Trac where he can be dangerous.

- Jackson more time in the ruck. He’s not getting involved enough trying to stay out of Brown and Tmac’s way and his best weapon is his handballing in tight around stoppages. Plus I’d play Spargo in the ruck right now just to not have to see anymore of Gawn’s centimetre perfect backwards taps straight to the opposition mids.

- Directive to our backs and mids (the ones who are good kicks) to go for attacking options through the middle of the ground. All of our best pieces of play are when we hit targets in the corridor, and I actually can’t remember too many bad turnovers this year when we go for them. Salem, May, Rivers, Hibbo all really good kicks whose skills are wasted bombing it on top of Gawn’s head.

- Need a boost of enthusiasm and intensity. Let’s have a look at Bowey ASAP. Also think ANB is neither here nor there despite his best efforts, our forward mix needs someone a bit more dynamic and better at applying forward pressure. Don’t exactly know who that is, maybe Lockhart gets first go. we don’t lose anything by trying it.

Things need changing up. Can’t rely on a miraculous form turnaround this deep into the season.

A few things I’d like to see:

- Petracca spending at least 50% time forward. Stoppage numbers and Trac’s kicking efficiency indicate we don’t have much to lose using Jordon and Sparrow around stoppages more and getting Trac where he can be dangerous.

- Jackson more time in the ruck. He’s not getting involved enough trying to stay out of Brown and Tmac’s way and his best weapon is his handballing in tight around stoppages. Plus I’d play Spargo in the ruck right now just to not have to see anymore of Gawn’s centimetre perfect backwards taps straight to the opposition mids.

- Directive to our backs and mids (the ones who are good kicks) to go for attacking options through the middle of the ground. All of our best pieces of play are when we hit targets in the corridor, and I actually can’t remember too many bad turnovers this year when we go for them. Salem, May, Rivers, Hibbo all really good kicks whose skills are wasted bombing it on top of Gawn’s head.

- Need a boost of enthusiasm and intensity. Let’s have a look at Bowey ASAP. Also think ANB is neither here nor there despite his best efforts, our forward mix needs someone a bit more dynamic and better at applying forward pressure. Don’t exactly know who that is, maybe Lockhart gets first go. we don’t lose anything by trying it.
I'll assume you mean spargo in the middle ,not the ruck .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back