The coalition will never win the federal government again.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never understood the idea of small government that the Liberals seem to embrace.

I would love to see the $$$$ paid to consultants and outsourcing of services and advice, especially under the Morrison government.

Its funny how the "us" group always want to take from the "me" group. Whilst the "me" group never want to take from the "us".

and the "us" group hypocritically then complain about the "me" group for voting against their own economic self interest to favour their religious views While simultaneously complaining the "me" group is selfish.

just playing devils advocate here. Its not as black and white as you think.
Wanting govt funds spent in areas that better serve society as a whole isn't doing that. Just as an example.

The notion of the Libs never winning federally again is a nonsense:

1) the ALP is likely to have a 1 seat - maybe 2 seat - majority, and this is off the back of one of the worst liberal governments since federation. This isnt a lot of margin to claw back, esp as the vast majority of the crossbench is conservative.

2) independents are rarely a conversion to long term "independence". their support is tied to their personality and personal connection to the community, and even if this is strong, there is no guarantee they will remain long term (ie Rex Patrick and Tony Windsor)

3) The coalition still speak for a third of the population, with another 10% supporting the far right. This is too big a base to disappear entirely. As we saw with the ALP after the DLP split, and the QLD conservatives after the nationals corruption implosion, parties reform, rebuild, and adapt

the reports of the Liberals death has been greatly exaggerated
This is a very good summary. One other issue for the Teals is that they may end up being redundant in the house. If the ALP reach a majority their influence will be significantly diluted, basically turning their vote into a quasi protest vote. If the ALP somehow end up without a majority then they become a viable way to guarantee supply (and gives the ALP the ability to do this while by-passing the Greens).

If the ALP get to a majority the election in 3 years time will be very interesting for the new indis.

This is a very good summary. One other issue for the Teals is that they may end up being redundant in the house. If the ALP reach a majority their influence will be significantly diluted, basically turning their vote into a quasi protest vote. If the ALP somehow end up without a majority then they become a viable way to guarantee supply (and gives the ALP the ability to do this while by-passing the Greens).

If the ALP get to a majority the election in 3 years time will be very interesting for the new indis.
Nope

You don't understand the ALP

Albo might not make it to 2025, his own party will see to that? The knives are already out as Penny Wong looms large behind him, at some point, the strings will break and Albo will get the heave-ho. Not at the next election, but by his own colleagues! It won't take long before people realise what a terrible mistake they have just made, in the meantime get ready for some very tough times and some lunacy never before seen in Australia.

Yeah cos we want 3 more years of Morrison cowering away when he is needed. He probably wouldn’t even stick up for Jenny if she was being assaulted.

Go back to licking Credlin’s a-hole.

You think the ALP will come to an agreement with the Greens rather than a couple of moderate independents if they need to guarantee supply?

I can't see any logical reason why they would do that, when they spent the election telling people they weren't tied to the Greens.
How about needing Greens' support in the upper house to get legislation through? That seems like a pretty good reason to work with them in the lower house.

Last edited:
Albo might not make it to 2025, his own party will see to that? The knives are already out as Penny Wong looms large behind him, at some point, the strings will break and Albo will get the heave-ho. Not at the next election, but by his own colleagues! It won't take long before people realise what a terrible mistake they have just made, in the meantime get ready for some very tough times and some lunacy never before seen in Australia.

Penny Wong is a senator.

Government is formed in the lower house, so the leader of the govt has to come from the House.

Wong cannot be leader as long as she is a senator

*I think this is the third time in 24hrs ive had to say this...

I was thinking the exact same thing. The only difficulty with that is the bloodbath that has already been caused by parachuting candidates in...

he was the Treasurer for NSW - he's essentially a local

You think the ALP will come to an agreement with the Greens rather than a couple of moderate independents if they need to guarantee supply?

I can't see any logical reason why they would do that, when they spent the election telling people they weren't tied to the Greens.
Yes, I know you can't

But give it thought for a few minutes, maybe an epiphany will come to you (Hint: Think ahead, think about building long term relationships......oops, I think it's coming to you)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never understood the idea of small government that the Liberals seem to embrace.

I would love to see the $$$$ paid to consultants and outsourcing of services and advice, especially under the Morrison government.

Don’t forget shacks on kangaroo island

Ofcourse it will. It already has. most moderates are against the lefts culture war. Labor recognized this and have greatly dialed it back.

where the us right base is different is in their evangelical christen values and freedom obsession (Love of guns and stronger anti vaxer stance).
The only people fighting culture wars is the right.

Respecting women is not fighting a culture war. Respecting First Nations peoples is not fighting a culture war. Respecting trans kids and other minorities is not fighting a culture war. It is just basic decency.

Resisting these things is fighting a culture war. And that is all the conservatives are capable of.

Its funny how the "us" group always want to take from the "me" group. Whilst the "me" group never want to take from the "us".

and the "us" group hypocritically then complain about the "me" group for voting against their own economic self interest to favour their religious views While simultaneously complaining the "me" group is selfish.

just playing devils advocate here. Its not as black and white as you think.
... is this a sincere post? As in, you meant each part of what you've said here? You've thought about it, come to your conclusions, and believed enough to post this post as a reply to that political cartoon?

This isn't a Seeds special, in which you've apportioned a second's thought to your opposition because you're bored?

Nope

You don't understand the ALP

How about needing Greens' support in the upper house to get legislation through? That seems like a pretty good reason to work with them in the lower house?

you're all right, and you're all wrong

if a minority is present, the ALP will have the luxury of not needing "one" of the greens or the crossbench absolutely. If they can navigate the balance of the relationships, they may be able to pick and choose.

Also it may mean the greens dont do the foot on the neck absolutely, as they will not want to push the alp completely to the crossbenches

that said, the teals and greens essentially agree on climate change, and the greens and the crossbench all agree on ICAC.

The challenge for the ALP will be knowing how much they can ignore the two, and how much to give to appease them. And likewise for the greens/crossbench, how much they choke the alp to get what they want

Just before Rudd lost in 2013, he changed the ALP's rules to prevent a sitting PM getting knifed. Penny Wong cannot lead the ALP from the senate.

The facts don't care about your feelings, Jack.

Its not staggering.

Youre chatting to zealots.

zealots because they are not climate change deniers?

you are aware the denial of climate change is now well and truly a minority position

zealots because they are not climate change deniers?

you are aware the denial of climate change is now well and truly a minority position

Zealots because they only see one view. A view that has the side they loathe out of politics for decades.

Climate change has nothing to do with what Im talking abouts. Its far bigger than that.

They have a blinkered view of the world because they live in a bubble and everyone either agrees with them or should die.

Its fascinating to watch, but also a little sad.

On the thread topic...

This is exceedingly dumb. The Libs control 80% of the media in this country, and spend roughly 85% of the funding the entire Australian media landscape consumes. The Libs have lost an election after 9 years of power, and they only just ******* lost; if the Teal seats went to Labor, you could make the case that the ALP has a mandate for their positions, but not only did this not happen but they might not see majority government in the house. This is hardly the sterling endorsement of the ALP in the electorate that would truly spell the end of the Coalition's electoral chances.

Dutton's - if he becomes leader - issue is convincing the southern states he's not a fascist waiting to happen and WA that they purged the elements within who planned the co-ordinated attack on WA during Covid. He doesn't really need to do very much there; the media will do the job for him. He won't lose seats for them in QLD.

FFS, roughly 40% of the vote in this country is liberal in every election. Do you really think that's going to disappear? We're a conservative bunch here, whether I like it or not.

Then, you've got the traps set in government by the Libs. The fuel excise expiry in October will hit the government hard, because it's hard to shift the blame for your petrol prices going from $2 to $2.50 a litre; do they prolong it and dig us further into debt, or do they take the hit? That's just a single example.

The Libs have stacked every part of the bureaucracy, every board, committee, position of authority with their own people. They've had the time to be thorough. It will take at least two terms to run a broom through things, and they'll be lucky to get that.

Not really across the political system are you mate. Penny Wong is in the Senate, she cannot be PM, and even if she moved to the HoR not only the caucus but the membership needs to vote to change leader.

You really hurting mate, I know but a bit of rational thought always helps in these times :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back