The coalition will never win the federal government again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said they weren't? When was the last time that a conservative government was not comprised of Libs and Nats in coalition?

Id have to look it up, but off mem the splits usually occur when govt is lost. That said, its been one of the more cohesive coalitions, but i still think the two parties need to be treated as separate, as their balance of power has traditionally had an impact on policy

fwiw i even if they entered into a coalition, i wouldnt combine the greens and alp either.

Don't know about the libs but the Country Party is about to take a major role in the Australian economy. They are here to stay and will grow significantly.

This consistent talk about primary votes is the biggest clutching at straws by deadset losers. Iirc I don't think either major party has had a primary vote over 50% for decades rendering the argument useless.

Just 2 weeks ago Joyce was distancing the Lib/Nat partnership as separate entities so the Libs cant use the Nat's primary vote numbers to artificially inflate theirs.

When you look at all the advanced polling the LNP's voting base is ageing.

I think they're probably well on the way to being a fringe party. They're dominated by religious nutters and corporate shills.

Longer term I'd expect the Labor Party to probably shift a little to the right and the other major party will be one of progressive values, perhaps the Greens along with others.

Fair enough, but 32.57% is not exactly anything to rave about. That means more than two thirds of voters did NOT vote Labor
If we had representative voting instead of preferential that might matter

But we don't so it doesn't

Fair enough, but 32.57% is not exactly anything to rave about. That means more than two thirds of voters did NOT vote Labor
How come you don't know what Australia's voting system is?

You know when you put all those numbers in those boxes on a ballot paper, what is it you think you are doing it for?

How come you don't know what Australia's voting system is?

You know when you put all those numbers in those boxes on a ballot paper, what is it you think you are doing it for?
Why didn’t you ask the same question of QuietB ?

Simply untrue.

What is does mean is that you have NFI how our electoral system works.
LOL. I know exactly how it works. Did you see the article on first preferences that was quoted? If you didn’t then butt out champ!

More than 18% voted for parties or candidates more progressive than Labor.

1/ That means that over 50% of the entire voting population voted for Labor or more progressive.

2/ The LNP first preference vote is massively skewed by the huge primary vote they receive in only a few select electorates - mainly in Queensland. That is great for winning those electorates but it won’t win you government.

This persistent sooking by the Liberals and Sky after dark about Labor’s primary vote is simply further proof of how simple the LNP are. They are not capable of intelligent debate and they are entirely devoid of new ideas.

That’s why they got voted out. It is also why they are unlikely to get voted back in.

LOL. I know exactly how it works. Did you see the article on first preferences that was quoted? If you didn’t then butt out champ!
No - you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't be making such ridiculous comments...Champ.

The is the worst seat result for the combined Liberal and National parties since at least 1949 and the lowest first preference vote for the LNP since the current preference voting system was introduced in 1949.

The fact is that first preference votes to the major parties has been a trend decline for decades. In 1951, almost 98% of votes went to the two major parties. In the election just held, this number is currently down to an all-time low of 68.5% with more independent candidates winning seats than at any time in our history.

With the proliferation of minor parties and candidates there are more options to choose from for voters who were pissed off at the performance of the Morrison government. What matters is that those voters who put the number 1 in the box next to the Animal Justice Party, Legalise Cannabis Party or whatever overwhelmingly chose to preference ALP over the Nationals, or the Liberals or the LNP.

That is how our voting system works. And that is why the Coalition was handed its worst election result in 70 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing to note to all those who say Labor only got 32% of the primary vote.

If the Aus system was the same as the US, then based on preferential voting Labor would have won in each state and territory except Queensland. It would have been a wipe out.

The Liberals and their primary vote is being kept afloat by QLD and really the outer suburbs and regional areas of Queensland. Their strategy going forward is to double down on these voters again. Not sure how you are going to win back the disillusioned aging Liberals with a guy they detest.

Also Albanese is more of a steady hand behind the wheel kinda guy. Dont know how you can galvanise your base against him, as he will never have the hatred Morrison received.

He won't tear his own party apart the way Rudd did, either.

The concern about Albanese is that he may be too nice and accommodating to really scare the horses, that being the gas/coal cartel which is responsible for exporting stuff overseas and sending electricity prices through the roof due to the remaining supply not meeting demand during winter, especially down south - you guys definitely need heaters down there!*

*Brisbane does right now too, but Brisbane's cold is more dry and blustery whereas Melbourne's cold is not as blustery, but seeps into your skin and screws with your immune system (mine is pretty fragile due to an asthma episode I had as a child).

One thing to note to all those who say Labor only got 32% of the primary vote.

If the Aus system was the same as the US, then based on preferential voting Labor would have won in each state and territory except Queensland. It would have been a wipe out.

The Liberals and their primary vote is being kept afloat by QLD and really the outer suburbs and regional areas of Queensland. Their strategy going forward is to double down on these voters again. Not sure how you are going to win back the disillusioned aging Liberals with a guy they detest.

Also Albanese is more of a steady hand behind the wheel kinda guy. Dont know how you can galvanise your base against him, as he will never have the hatred Morrison received.
Quite simply they are really really dumb.

They watch Sky News, who just parrot Fox. Fox talk about "mobilizing the base", so Sky thinks that will work here, which makes no sense at all. We have compulsory voting, so all these people are voting anyway, and I assume this "base" is already voting for LNP or preferencing them. Or are they night right wing enough so they vote the greens?

They are seriously braindead.

Maybe they need Justin Langer. Can get all his old Aussie cricket mates angry if he isn’t parachuted into a safe seat.
Just when you thought Morrison was the hollowest thing the Libs could offer, can't wait to hear his thoughts on elite tax reform.

Its summed up well here:

And just a few dot point policies from a quick Google search.

• Essential services such as airports, water, electricity, gas, health services, road, rail and port networks, public transport and communications should be provided by government.

• Establish a government-owned development bank.

• It is the duty of government to ensure bank lending creates real wealth in terms of improvements of the quality of life for the average Australian.

• Legislate to limit Woolworths and Coles duopoly to 22.5 per cent market share each.

Halt any privatisation and renationalise privatised assets

$4bn VicRoads deadline looms​

Binding proposals for VicRoads, the Victorian motor registry, close on Wednesday with three groups still vying for the asset which is set to sell for more than $4bn.
And there’s plenty of jockeying among the heavyweight bidders for the lucrative, but politically-sensitive asset, particularly with the state heading to an election in November.

ANOTHER privatisation by the Andrews Government - privatisation is NOT an issue in Victoria .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back