The coalition will never win the federal government again.

How did the ALP rebound in the past. How does any government tossed out with a massive swing against rebound? It happens and it happens all the time. And it won't be a new coalition; the existing coalition will reinvent themselves. It will probably require a complete overhaul of personnel, or at least those closely associated with Morrison, but it will happen, and probably take a minimum of two election losses. It's a bit like an AFL football team.

Where is the evidence that the LNP's ""base" is mostly the over 55's"? That's a bit like me saying the ALP's base is working class unionists.

You are clearly an LNP voter. Just like the party you vote for you don't seem to have a grasp on what has happened to the LNP in the very recent past.
WA smashed.
Vic smashed.
SA smashed.
Fed 2022 smashed, including a 2nd smashing in WA.

People who voted against the LNP voted for integrity and climate action and here you are spruiking personnel changes as the answer.
The country has moved on from 2010 Abbott, there has been a collective realisation that we are no longer the country we once were and we are all poorer for it.
Your solution is lipstick on a pig.

Eventually enough people will tire of the new government for the Liberals to return to office however the question will be what form will that future Liberal government be and it might take the form of a new political party or grouping.

Perhaps the Liberals will split in 2, but I can't see their right wing being electorally successful.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Fantastic article here about the failure of the 4th estate to report Australian political changes and events accurately - pre and post the 2022 Federal election.

The unbridled joy that comes with knowing we will never again have to deal with the entity formerly known as Prime Minister Scott Morrison is leavened by the fact that we had to put up with him in the first place. Not just put up with him but act as if the destruction he was wreaking was somehow invisible. That the studied neglect which was the hallmark of the way in which he pursued what can barely be called ‘governance’ was not obvious.

Now they tell us about the problems with the energy markets. Now they tell us about funding holes in the NDIS. Now we hear that the National Gallery in Canberra is falling down, falling down because of underfunding. Now we hear they stopped funding recovery programs for endangered plants. Now we hear all the things.

Every report that went along with the former prime minister’s fantasy parades of costume wearing and performative cooking; every press conference where he was able to barrel over the assembled press corps, lie to their faces, smirk, and walk away unscathed; every interview that was not followed up with an immediate fact check—all these things helped build a facade behind which the truth was kept hidden.

And the article doesn't just take a swipe at the way the media failed to accurately reflect on the failings of the Morrison Government. It also makes the compelling point that despite the fact that the 2022 election result saw a continued trend away from the traditional parties that represented capital, labour and the land (Liberal, ALP and Nationals) the press continues to stick to its coalition/ALP 2PP narrative in its political reporting. A narrative that ignores the issues-driven shift in voting patterns away from the majors towards (so-called) minor parties and independents.

Well worth a read.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Fantastic article here about the failure of the 4th estate to report Australian political changes and events accurately - pre and post the 2022 Federal election.

The unbridled joy that comes with knowing we will never again have to deal with the entity formerly known as Prime Minister Scott Morrison is leavened by the fact that we had to put up with him in the first place. Not just put up with him but act as if the destruction he was wreaking was somehow invisible. That the studied neglect which was the hallmark of the way in which he pursued what can barely be called ‘governance’ was not obvious.

Now they tell us about the problems with the energy markets. Now they tell us about funding holes in the NDIS. Now we hear that the National Gallery in Canberra is falling down, falling down because of underfunding. Now we hear they stopped funding recovery programs for endangered plants. Now we hear all the things.

Every report that went along with the former prime minister’s fantasy parades of costume wearing and performative cooking; every press conference where he was able to barrel over the assembled press corps, lie to their faces, smirk, and walk away unscathed; every interview that was not followed up with an immediate fact check—all these things helped build a facade behind which the truth was kept hidden.

And the article doesn't just take a swipe at the way the media failed to accurately reflect on the failings of the Morrison Government. It also makes the compelling point that despite the fact that the 2022 election result saw a continued trend away from the traditional parties that represented capital, labour and the land (Liberal, ALP and Nationals) the press continues to stick to its coalition/ALP 2PP narrative in its political reporting. A narrative that ignores the issues-driven shift in voting patterns away from the majors towards (so-called) minor parties and independents.

Well worth a read.
That is a very, very good article.

I for one think even more independent and Greens gaining seats in 2025 is a distinct possibility. You can only gaslight the nation for so long.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast

Well worth a read.

The media are horrific enablers of the rot, always reactionary and hysterical trying to drum up clickbait headlines 'Stefanovic rages against Albo this morning!'.

Based on the Logies it really does seem that they live in a bubble that is so out of touch with reality. The votes must've been rigged so badly for The Project to have even a sniff of a 'journalistic' award.

You are clearly an LNP voter. Just like the party you vote for you don't seem to have a grasp on what has happened to the LNP in the very recent past.
WA smashed.
Vic smashed.
SA smashed.

People who voted against the LNP voted for integrity and climate action and here you are spruiking personnel changes as the answer.
The country has moved on from 2010 Abbott, there has been a collective realisation that we are no longer the country we once were and we are all poorer for it.
It's not being LNP or otherwise; it's just plain naïve to think the federal Coalition will never win government again. As I said in an earlier post, the ALP has had its moments in history when you would have sworn it could never form government again.

I see this as a wake up call, and I also believe in the maxim, what goes up must come down

Do people in here genuinely believe that the LNP will not return to power at some stage in the future?

It's not being LNP or otherwise; it's just plain naïve to think the federal Coalition will never win government again. As I said in an earlier post, the ALP has had its moments in history when you would have sworn it could never form government again.

I see this as a wake up call, and I also believe in the maxim, what goes up must come down
Of course the LNP will return to power but not as we know it today.

Was the election lose a vote of no confidence in Morrison (easily fixed bit I don't see anyone currently elected that would bring back the votes). Or a lose on social agendas to the Greens/Teals, and a combination of economic and social issues for Labor loses.

I am (for now) ruling out a united LNP under Turnbull V2.0. Which leaves the alternate of waiting for the electorate coming back socially to them.

If they are shown to be correct that our transition away from fossil to renewable causes widespread blackouts, inflation and unemployment, it will be soon. If we do transition successfully, then it will be a long long time.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The issue the LNP faces is its been split.
This kept the ALP out of office for two decades.

The previously untouchable heartland has become a bloodbath and it's not looking like its going to improve.
Holmes a Court has a personal vendetta against all the Libs now (not just a few of them) and will happily feed the Teals all the cash they need to remain competitive.

They will never again be able to campaign on the 'better economic managers' garbage either.
Screenshot_20220622-221649_Chrome.jpg

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
WA smashed.
Vic smashed.
SA smashed.

I wish I could believe that but there is still a large bloc of people out there who will swing back to the LNP as soon as they are promised $50 extra in their payslips or $1000 for having a baby or once cost of living pressures rise and the race-baiting starts.

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish I could believe that but there is still a large bloc of people out there who will swing back to the LNP as soon as they are promised $50 extra in their payslips or $1000 for having a baby or once cost of living pressures rise and the race-baiting starts.

Primary vote for the degenerates (LNP/ON/UAP/Nat) totalled 45% so we will always be on the edge unfortunately. Hopefully this federal ICAC can obliterate half of LNP & Nats which will leave them even further away.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Primary vote for the degenerates (LNP/ON/UAP/Nat) totalled 45% so we will always be on the edge unfortunately. Hopefully this federal ICAC can obliterate half of LNP & Nats which will leave them even further away.
It was 47.68% in 2019. 44.57% this election. It is falling.

And that is with ON and UAP increasing their primary vote by 2.57%. Not sure that is sustainable when the cooker movement flames out.

The LNP primary vote was down 5.68%. That is massive.

1655951558316.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.33.24 pm.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.32.29 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.32.29 pm.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 12

That is something most of us fear but IMO there's light at the end of the tunnel. The generation about to reach voting age aren't as fooled by shiny things and/or they will take the shiny things offered but still vote against those offering shiny things.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

Achy Blakey Heart

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics,Red Sox,Patriots,Dragons,
That is something most of us fear but IMO there's light at the end of the tunnel. The generation about to reach voting age aren't as fooled by shiny things and/or they will take the shiny things offered but still vote against those offering shiny things.

People have been syaing this for years....and yet once they have finished uni and have a mortgage, kids and a business to run....the net drift is conservative. Always has....always will be.

People have been syaing this for years....and yet once they have finished uni and have a mortgage, kids and a business to run....the net drift is conservative. Always has....always will be.
Agree with you that the net drift is conservative. But I think it is slowing and not as guaranteed as it once was.

New mortgagees entering the market are slowing because of affordability. Having kids does make you think about the environment. Small business will continue to have a strong drift to the conservatives

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
National head on qanda saying how they have all this legislation’ready to go’ eg agricultural workers visa price of lettuce no one challenged her why if it was so important why the religious discrimination bill was a pririty

Bridget mckenzie

Now the election is over the media is telling us we have a crisis, but it’s at least six months old. Yet scotty chose to go electioneering instead of governing.

We slam him for lots of things, but it may turn out that electioneering rather than not only dealing with a crisis, but conspiring to mask the real crisis as much as possible, even laying booby traps for the incoming govt

Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
National head on qanda saying how they have all this legislation’ready to go’ eg agricultural workers visa price of lettuce no one challenged her why if it was so important why the religious discrimination bill was a pririty

Bridget mckenzie

Now the election is over the media is telling us we have a crisis, but it’s at least six months old. Yet scotty chose to go electioneering instead of governing.

We slam him for lots of things, but it may turn out that electioneering rather than not only dealing with a crisis, but conspiring to mask the real crisis as much as possible, even laying booby traps for the incoming govt

I could whip up a list of LNP rorts and misdemeanours from the past 9 years within minutes. What I would struggle with is what the f*** they have achieved in the last 9 years to improve Australia and our lives. Literally everything was still the same or worse. The best thing the LNP did was the $1k tax bonuses and freezing of the fuel levy.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You’ve heard of the nickname ‘gunner’ someone who’s telling everyone what they are going to do

Meet the cousin wer-gunner. Coalition spokesmen talking about all the things they were going to do, but lost the election

Funny how all these urgent actions weren’t as important as the religious discrimination bill, covering up scandals, electioneering and leaving land mines over the six months or so before the election

In light of this despicable behaviour in the face of’. ‘Challenging economic times’ I think rather than being magnanimous, the govt should now bury them publicly and expose this dereliction of duty

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I could whip up a list of LNP rorts and misdemeanours from the past 9 years within minutes. What I would struggle with is what the f*** they have achieved in the last 9 years to improve Australia and our lives. Literally everything was still the same or worse. The best thing the LNP did was the $1k tax bonuses and freezing of the fuel levy.

And letting states manage the pandemic because they themselves are sadly not competent

We didn't go from the living in caves to living in Mcmansions by reverting to type.

The progression you describe is dead. It's just waiting to be cremated and buried.
You only need to look at the Teal seats. Those electorates finished uni, got a mortgage, kids and a business and they completely rejected the conservative BS.
The next stage is other electorates, with similar profiles, saying 'yeah we wouldn't mind having some of that teal representation for ourselves'.

There is only one play in the playbook of conservatives. If that doesn't work, then conservatives are F'd cause they are hamstrung by their conservativeness.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
We didn't go from the living in caves to living in Mcmansions by reverting to type.

The progression you describe is dead. It's just waiting to be cremated and buried.
You only need to look at the Teal seats. Those electorates finished uni, got a mortgage, kids and a business and they completely rejected the conservative BS.
The next stage is other electorates, with similar profiles, saying 'yeah we wouldn't mind having some of that teal representation for ourselves'.

There is only one play in the playbook of conservatives. If that doesn't work, then conservatives are F'd cause they are hamstrung by their conservativeness.

They have become so addicted to the wedge, they have become extremely lazy in governing

Ask ourselves when this economic crisis was building, what was scomos priority? Religious discrimination ring a bell?

When you take the view they are not the best economic managers, the best whatever…just extremely lazy…it all makes sense

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
How many of them will have a mortgage?

How is voting for economic vandals like the LNP good for people with a mortgage, kids, business?

Back