The coalition will never win the federal government again.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Amy Remeikis reported on Insiders about discussions she had, had with National Party politicians in Queensland

She said several of them thought that if they went harder on denying Climate Change, it would bring voters back to the Party

True Story

Totally believable.

These guys line in a Murdoch/Sky/Fox bubble. Everything they view through an American style culture war prism.

But someone hasn’t told them with compulsory voting, an independent AEC and no disproportionate weighing of votes in conservative areas the tactic of “appealing to the base” doesn’t work.

I think someone on Sky on election night was having a sook about Australian having compulsory voting. This is why, strip away compulsory voting and the easily influenced elderly keep voting, youth, people of colour and those in city areas are disenfranchised.

Totally believable.

These guys line in a Murdoch/Sky/Fox bubble. Everything they view through an American style culture war prism.

But someone hasn’t told them with compulsory voting, an independent AEC and no disproportionate weighing of votes in conservative areas the tactic of “appealing to the base” doesn’t work.

I think someone on Sky on election night was having a sook about Australian having compulsory voting. This is why, strip away compulsory voting and the easily influenced elderly keep voting, youth, people of colour and those in city areas are disenfranchised.
If it's not compulsory voting, it would have been preferential voting. The disappointment on their sad faces when they see preferences not coming to their party. It is like everyone is ganging up on them.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Yep I was at school mid sixties to seventies and we had progressive teachers, but some older ones would have had first hand experience if the war years

By progressive I don’t mean change the world but more ‘opportunity for all’ but isn’t that what school should be about anyway?
My experience to a T.

Libs and nats need people my age a lot more then we have ever needed them.

Why the * should a generation of people who had their education gutted, mining boom wasted, bribes and tax cuts sent to boomers and gen xers, made housing unaffordable, did * all for infrastructure, always gutting our healthcare, wanting to destroy super, ruining this nations CSIRO, gutting of renewables research, gutting of research in general, ****ed up our covid response in every ******* way imaginable vote for the parties that did that s**t.

Libs and nats are enemies of my generation pure and simple.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Stats suggest there's a lean towards conservative views with age.

View attachment 1432707
Are they former progressives who turned conservative with age? Or were they always conservative?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
In today’s edition of “what wacky extreme right wing sh*t excuses will the Liberals use to blame anyone but themselves for their loss?”:

Oh and basically calling her own kids f**king brain dead idiots to score points at her little far right gathering.

What a condescending *******. Keep it up, ensures your slide into further irrelevancy.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Totally believable.

Those types also have a good whinge about IRV while they're at it.

Funny how they didn't object to either compulsory voting or IRV way back in 2019, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. :drunk:

For people who tend to see themselves as tough-minded and realistic, they sure are sore losers who whinge about reality when it doesn't suit them.

Worst teachers I came across were relief teachers in the public school system when I was there. There was one who actually managed to get sacked from the education department in the 80s, no mean feat in itself and later turned up as spokeswoman for the local tom's association.

How did they even manage that?

Did they sell hard drugs?

Yes, the relief teachers in the state education system invariably gave me a hard time, even though my regular teachers were almost always OK with me. Hell, one even decided to yell at my seven year old self in front of the entire class for the capital crime of...untidy handwriting. I wasn't always a saint, but maybe that's part of the reason why they sucked - they got upset over minutiae and forgot that belittling /= teaching.

How did they even manage that?

Did they sell hard drugs?

Yes, the relief teachers in the state education system invariably gave me a hard time, even though my regular teachers were almost always OK with me. Hell, one even decided to yell at my seven year old self in front of the entire class for the capital crime of...untidy handwriting. I wasn't always a saint, but maybe that's part of the reason why they sucked - they got upset over minutiae and forgot that belittling /= teaching.
She was inexplicably given her own class a year or two after I left and a friend's younger brother drew the short straw so I got the inside line. She used to pull stunts like doing cartwheels in a dress and no knickers, and interrogating kids about if they heard their parents having sex, normal stuff like that. On top of this as an unreconstructed first generation radical feminist the boys in the class were not just ignored but bullied by her, it was quite the cause celebre at the time.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
She was inexplicably given her own class a year or two after I left and a friend's younger brother drew the short straw so I got the inside line. She used to pull stunts like doing cartwheels in a dress and no knickers, and interrogating kids about if they heard their parents having sex, normal stuff like that. On top of this as an unreconstructed first generation radical feminist the boys in the class were not just ignored but bullied by her, it was quite the cause celebre at the time.

Seems like someone you'd want around children.

:drunk:

With some saying the overturning of Roe Vs Wade is just the start of a move to a US Christian theocracy (next in their sights, gay rights) expect the Christian right in Aus to be considerably energised.

We are not the religious nuthouse that the US is, but that doesn’t stop Christian right wingers infiltrating our politics and doing everything they can to make us more like America. They will be redoubling their efforts after Friday.
If that happens I will get on the hustings to abuse their “religious exceptionalism” to provoke them assaulting me on camera

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just got an email begging for money from the local libs. It actually listed a fairly accurate assessment of the failures of the ACT Labour govt but then went off on a rant about ALP, greens and Unions without providing any policies - almost as if they haven't learnt from the defeat of Zed who was a raving idiot.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just got an email begging for money from the local libs. It actually listed a fairly accurate assessment of the failures of the ACT Labour govt but then went off on a rant about ALP, greens and Unions without providing any policies - almost as if they haven't learnt from the defeat of Zed who was a raving idiot.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I genuinely think the Liberals are going to go broke.

Turnbull had to prop them up when he was PM. Morrison's grifting off the treasury teat kept them afloat while he was in charge. Now they don't have Turnbull, don't have the keys to treasury anymore, and barely hold a single inner city seat anywhere, and barely hold a seat at all in WA at state and federal level.

How are they actually going to raise money?

Chasing the bogan vote in the suburbs is all fine and dandy, but those bogans are not going to pay your bills. They are not going to show up and man your branches and booths either.

This is not Trump America where you can convince enough people out of 350m to buy a red hat to keep you afloat.

They have cooked their goose.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And so I am voting for the “Josh”….to make a comeback…he seeMs …pract. Tickle
they’re a great wasteland of talent…ructions are coming

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I genuinely think the Liberals are going to go broke.

Turnbull had to prop them up when he was PM. Morrison's grifting off the treasury teat kept them afloat while he was in charge. Now they don't have Turnbull, don't have the keys to treasury anymore, and barely hold a single inner city seat anywhere, and barely hold a seat at all in WA at state and federal level.

How are they actually going to raise money?

Chasing the bogan vote in the suburbs is all fine and dandy, but those bogans are not going to pay your bills. They are not going to show up and man your branches and booths either.

This is not Trump America where you can convince enough people out of 350m to buy a red hat to keep you afloat.

They have cooked their goose.
You seriously misunderstand where their money and support comes from.

It's big businesses. Mostly mining at the moment who have been propping up the Nationals mostly, but also the Libs.

Plus they get free press from the Costello/Murdoch media attacking anything progressive.

Sure, there are other fundraising avenues, but these parties have clearly been captured by special interests beyond rich donors, which is why the Teal areas turned against them.

The biggest loss is of talent. Nobody in their right mind would put their name to this rabble, you can't be taken seriously in the corporate world if you've spent the last 10 years denying science. They get given jobs on Govt boards, but they don't get the private board appointments except in the energy/mining sector. Abbott can't get a Board appointment, neither will Morrison. Even Frydenberg has too many competency and judgement questions to answer if they were to be appointed to a board which didn't already have the LNP in their pocket.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Do people become more conservative as they age?

Or is it just that conservatives last longer due to being richer?
It’s a fallacy any way you look at it. People don’t become conservative as they get older they become conservative as they gather wealth. It’s just that age coincides with this. Problem for the crackpots is that our youth are not gaining wealth like previous generations. The chickens have come home to roost.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You seriously misunderstand where their money and support comes from.

It's big businesses. Mostly mining at the moment who have been propping up the Nationals mostly, but also the Libs.

Plus they get free press from the Costello/Murdoch media attacking anything progressive.

Sure, there are other fundraising avenues, but these parties have clearly been captured by special interests beyond rich donors, which is why the Teal areas turned against them.

The biggest loss is of talent. Nobody in their right mind would put their name to this rabble, you can't be taken seriously in the corporate world if you've spent the last 10 years denying science. They get given jobs on Govt boards, but they don't get the private board appointments except in the energy/mining sector. Abbott can't get a Board appointment, neither will Morrison. Even Frydenberg has too many competency and judgement questions to answer if they were to be appointed to a board which didn't already have the LNP in their pocket.

Kennet got nothing from corporates either, his treasurer was the ‘brains’ anyway

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Dutton - looking backwards, always backwards.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 11.34.47 am.png

Back