The coalitions economic management

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
The NBN was killed when Labor made a deal with Windsor and Oakshott to ignore the plan to make it profitable by starting with the cities and instead waste billions by rolling it out in the regions first.

Instead of making money and using that money to pay for the regions it lost money from day 1.

This then allowed the Coalition to make it a political football and it has been meddled with ever since.

It “allowed” the coalition to make it a political football? This makes it OK how?

So it’s Labor’s fault they put in inferior technology because Labor didn’t get the initial rollout correct?

An odd take giving the LNP the opportunity to once again absolve themselves of the blame for anything…

Put the pom poms down…

Given Labor's costs kept going up while the project went nowhere Im not sure FTTH was ever realistic given they were wanting to provide it to more than 90% of the country.

Spending so much on the regions and outer cities was never going to be profitable.

as opposed to buying the optus cable that wasnt fit for purpose, or ripping out copper wire to replace it with - copper wire

also much of the cost increase was inevitable. Asbestos being in the service tunnels is what blew out timelines and costs to a significant degree. And this cost would have been born by Telstra if not for the NBN, because the copper wire was due to be replaced.

the liberal NBN is what you get when your drunk uncle goes to trash and treasure

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Their economic management is so good we'll get hit with carbon tariffs if we're not careful.

Were you critic/dismissive of 'snap back, I was.

The continued attempts by Europe to rule the world will fail, its not the 1800s, the likes of China & India wont be pushed around, without whom it'll be a schoolyard bully scenario.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It “allowed” the coalition to make it a political football? This makes it OK how?

So it’s Labor’s fault they put in inferior technology because Labor didn’t get the initial rollout correct?

An odd take giving the LNP the opportunity to once again absolve themselves of the blame for anything…

Put the pom poms down…

Neither side of politics have a clean sheet over the NBN.
It reflects the politicians of the time more interested in self than country.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

200k a year for this is considered value for money.

200k for Canavan to LARP about in hi-vis. The plonker has never had a job requiring the use of hi-vis.
Dead set ******* idiot who's only in Parliament to lobby on behalf of his coal mining brother, threw his own mother under the bus to save himself.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Neither side of politics have a clean sheet over the NBN.
It reflects the politicians of the time more interested in self than country.
How was labors plan self interested?

given that now the liberals, with murdoch 100% ready, is going with it.

How was labors plan self interested?

given that now the liberals, with murdoch 100% ready, is going with it.
It's always Labor's fault. People like Morrison or McCormack who get a hard on every time an asylum seeker drowns at sea are still using that as justification for barbarity and for the most Australia buys it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am commenting on what hsppened.

And if you think the wrong move was made, it implies you know what the right move was

What should have been done?

Sadly your attempt to imply my comments mean other than what you want is incorrect.

Then it's a pretty sad view. If you're just going to make cheap shots from the sidelines, at least have an alternative.

The status quo wasn't viable, because it was already beginning to impact upon business (know this from a few factories I dealt with, automation of their national factories was held up solely by the lack of reliability of the internet connections between them). The Tony Abbott view of the world (high speed net is just for gaming) was as wrong as you can possibly be.

Can any LNP voter explain how we went from a structural surplus under Keating to a structural deficient under 11 years of Howard and Costello?

And also explain why there was more money to useless tax breaks and private schools over public education, infrastructure and creating a modern Australia?

And also explain how the worlds best economy under labor is now 32rd in the world?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Then it's a pretty sad view. If you're just going to make cheap shots from the sidelines, at least have an alternative.

The status quo wasn't viable, because it was already beginning to impact upon business (know this from a few factories I dealt with, automation of their national factories was held up solely by the lack of reliability of the internet connections between them). The Tony Abbott view of the world (high speed net is just for gaming) was as wrong as you can possibly be.
Sad is your inability to tell us your view, prefering to 'go the man' as you are well able to do.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Can any LNP voter explain how we went from a structural surplus under Keating to a structural deficient under 11 years of Howard and Costello?

And also explain why there was more money to useless tax breaks and private schools over public education, infrastructure and creating a modern Australia?

And also explain how the worlds best economy under labor is now 32rd in the world?
Where does the surplus fit in that grab bag of reminisces.

Sad is your inability to tell us your view, prefering to 'go the man' as you are well able to do.

My view is we should never have bought the Optus and Foxtel cable as they were not fit for purpose. I understand buying the Telstra copper, but every time we needed to replace copper it would have been replaced with fibre optic.

The cost blowouts still would have occured thanks to the asbestos, but this is a cost that was inevitable (NBN or no NBN)

So thats my view. What's yours or are you just going to admit your view is "labour bad"

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
My view is we should never have bought the Optus and Foxtel cable as they were not fit for purpose. I understand buying the Telstra copper, but every time we needed to replace copper it would have been replaced with fibre optic.

The cost blowouts still would have occured thanks to the asbestos, but this is a cost that was inevitable (NBN or no NBN)

So thats my view. What's yours or are you just going to admit your view is "labour bad"
No problem with the labour at all.

I agree with your comments & no Government that has had its hands on the NBN has covered itself with glory, making decisions for the political short term & the way it was rolled out is a great example.

No problem with the labour at all.

I agree with your comments & no Government that has had its hands on the NBN has covered itself with glory, making decisions for the political short term & the way it was rolled out is a great example.

So again, what should have been done? Stop being splinters and have an opinion

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So again, what should have been done? Stop being splinters and have an opinion
I dont have any technical competence so my guiding ovetview is technology does not sat still.
IF it did not evolve as rapidly as it does, a Rolls Royce 2008 version would have been the only way home.
I understand you need a political imperative but as usual the only loser is the taxpayer purse.

Back