The cock up that is the east coast energy market

Remove this Banner Ad

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The nuclear issue is the Opposition's desperate attempt to remain relevant in the climate debate, nothing more, if they were actually serious they had ten years in government to do something about it. Nobody should be falling for this s**t.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I would like to know why the States needs firming electricity generation such as nuclear, hydrogen or gas with CCS and Australia doesn’t seem to see a need. I know the sun and wind on the east coast is probably as good as anywhere in the world, but I would feel better about Australia’s plans if they confronted a few hard questions.

The commentary is around the cost of generation (i.e cheaper).
Whether thats ignorance or wilful misrepresentation, Australians are waking up that spending on the grid reflects in our power bills, not only the cost of generation:

Wind lowers energy prices, but adds to volatility without firming​

Michael Mazengarb 7 December 2020 6

'New research has shown that the increasing adoption of wind power in Australia is contributing to lower overall energy prices, but that an increase in energy market volatility pointed to the need for more investment in firming infrastructure.'

'The researchers suggest that further investment in low-cost firming technologies, and expanding the capacity of interstate network connections, would help mitigate the volatility of electricity prices and reduce the risk for investors.'

You might ask why the firming cost is ignored. Clearly its known, just ignored.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The nuclear issue is the Opposition's desperate attempt to remain relevant in the climate debate, nothing more, if they were actually serious they had ten years in government to do something about it. Nobody should be falling for this s**t.

When there is a 24/7 solution to power generation on the east coast, nuclear is not even a point of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad