The Collingwood (Long) Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

I may be old and out of touch, but I’m getting furious at emcees with microphones trying to stir up the chant in what strikes me as a very exploitative fashion.

It’s a battle cry which should take root amongst the fans in the outer, trying with everything we can muster to lift our black and white heroes to victory, and in doing so have it spread like wildfire around the ground.

Having some knob with a mike yelling “alright give us a Collllllllliiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggwwwoooooood!” in the line for merch at the AIA Centre is cringeworthy and lame and is going to cheapen and kill it for everybody.

Tell me if I’m out of line here…

Last edited:
Understand your viewpoint but within games it’s still mostly used appropriately.

Outside games yeah, it’s becoming a little forced.
Fully expecting this to be a widely unpopular opinion, but I actually think it might be slightly overused within games as well.

Obviously not referring to the game on the weekend, but I'd hate to flog it to death throughout a season and then we get to a big final where we need a spark and it doesn't hold as much power.

Understand your viewpoint but within games it’s still mostly used appropriately.

Outside games yeah, it’s becoming a little forced.

No problem whatsoever with in-game use, other than the chant as Brayshaw was stretchered off.

My rule of thumb would be; the chant should never be started by someone with a microphone.

I've maintained for a little while it's become too overused nowadays, and it was designed to come out in rare but significant moments.

It first surfaced in the 2002/03 finals when it was purely authentic, and it was barely heard of again until the 2010 PF which blew the decibel meter off the charts and it entered the mainstream.

I recall the chant being spinetingling on Anzac day after each goal in our miraculous last quarter comeback. I think we should save it for the last quarter after each goal.

I may be old and out of touch, but I’m getting furious at emcees with microphones trying to stir up the chant in what strikes me as a very exploitative fashion.

It’s a battle cry which should take root amongst the fans in the outer, trying with everything we can muster to lift our black and white heroes to victory, and in doing so have it spread like wildfire around the ground.

Having some knob with a mike yelling “alright give us a Collllllllliiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggwwwoooooood!” in the line for merch at the AIA Centre is cringeworthy and lame and is going to cheapen and kill it for everybody.

Absolutely agreed.

Part of the reason is that people who try it with a mic get the tempo and the timbre of it just wrong. They usually tempo it too fast and they over-emphasise the drop in pitch between the ‘Colling’ and ‘woooooood’. It doesn’t sound right.

Although Maynard with a mic got it going from the crowd on family day.

That was a bit of a different case. Yeah, it was forced. Yeah, it was lame. But special dispensation can reasonably be given to much loved players who are clearly half cut from ongoing celebrations after winning a Premiership the day before.

It's been a bit too fast the past couple of years, the slower 02/03 version was better. You would really stretch out the "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" back then.

It also used to only come out when we had the game won (with a couple of rare exceptions).

No problem whatsoever with in-game use, other than the chant as Brayshaw was stretchered off.
This year the chant morphed from a victory chant to a battle cry including use during scuffles when the opposition try and go one of our players. Against the dees the chant started after Viney tried to scrag Maynard. In top of Ponsford the chant stopped for applause when Brayshaw was stretched off, he gave a thumbs up and clap to crowd.

On the chant more generally it clearly riles opposition fans, as the saying goes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

This year the chant morphed from a victory chant to a battle cry including use during scuffles when the opposition try and go one of our players. Against the dees the chant started after Viney tried to scrag Maynard. In top of Ponsford the chant stopped for applause when Brayshaw was stretched off, he gave a thumbs up and clap to crowd.

On the chant more generally it clearly riles opposition fans, as the saying goes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I actually prefer it as a battle cry rather than the vocal embodiment of Joffa’s jacket. No problem there. And happy to use it to rally the troops and especially Maynard, at a time when he could well have been badly rattled at seeing Brayshaw hurt… it just should have waited until Brayshaw had left the ground, and the standard respectful clapping for a player injured on the arena had died down.

The chant is evolving. In fact it’s left the stadium and run away. Not sure we can do much about it, although we can choose when to participate.

I join in when it’s used to celebrate that we’re in front and about to win - that’s when it has most relevance for me. E.g. when we knew we would win the 2010 PF (still the greatest chant I’ve heard).

The best chants seem to be spontaneous, rising from all parts of the stadium, or spreading quickly.

No other club comes close to doing it like we do. It’s not just our numbers - it’s so strong because it’s a release from our collective pain, and an expression of our collective joy.

It’s almost holy and I’d hate to see it cheapened. We Pies fans invented it!

I’m getting a bit emotional again.

Everything is appropriate when you win a flag. I prescribe you to watch the replay twice and the post game 3 times. If symptoms don't reduce please come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything is appropriate when you win a flag. I prescribe you to watch the replay twice and the post game 3 times. If symptoms don't reduce please come back.

You mean retrospectively too?

Because Maynard as a player who just won a flag can do whatever the * he likes, but the emcee at Thursday training was cringe and eventually gave up.

The chant is evolving. In fact it’s left the stadium and run away. Not sure we can do much about it, although we can choose when to participate.

I join in when it’s used to celebrate that we’re in front and about to win - that’s when it has most relevance for me. E.g. when we knew we would win the 2010 PF (still the greatest chant I’ve heard).

The best chants seem to be spontaneous, rising from all parts of the stadium, or spreading quickly.

No other club comes close to doing it like we do. It’s not just our numbers - it’s so strong because it’s a release from our collective pain, and an expression of our collective joy.

It’s almost holy and I’d hate to see it cheapened. We Pies fans invented it!

I’m getting a bit emotional again.
I tried to join in on Saturday, but when you are the only dickhead in your whole bay wearing a footy jumper(90% wearing a suit), it was a little difficult. Hell, even cheering was hard when everyone else was golf clapping.

its tacky but it won't kill it.

I tried to join in on Saturday, but when you are the only dickhead in your whole bay wearing a footy jumper(90% wearing a suit), it was a little difficult. Hell, even cheering was hard when everyone else was golf clapping.

Bloody GF crowds are like that…

Col - Ling - Wood

Jd691jf.jpg

Absolutely agreed.

Part of the reason is that people who try it with a mic get the tempo and the timbre of it just wrong. They usually tempo it too fast and they over-emphasise the drop in pitch between the ‘Colling’ and ‘woooooood’. It doesn’t sound right.

Although Maynard with a mic got it going from the crowd on family day.

That was a bit of a different case. Yeah, it was forced. Yeah, it was lame. But special dispensation can reasonably be given to much loved players who are clearly half cut from ongoing celebrations after winning a Premiership the day before.

I reckon the 'woooood' has two syllables. One at a the same pitch as the 'colling' and then it drops a half-note (or whatever). I feel like that's how it used to be anyway.

I just love the fact that it pisses all the oppo supporters off so much.
It sounds a little Neanderthal but yeah, pisses everyone off.
Makes me happy.
Better than Country road. WTF is that all about?

I absolutely love the English Premier league chants.

I reckon it would be great if we got individual chants going. Like “U-S-A” for Coxy but for everyone. “Oleeeeeeeeg, Oleg, Oleg, Oleg” seemed a gimme to me.

If getting to play in front of 90,000 at the MCG is a selling point for players to come to us as a destination club, imagine being able to sell players on hearing us chant their freakin’ name!

It sounds a little Neanderthal but yeah, pisses everyone off.
Makes me happy.
Better than Country road. WTF is that all about?

I absolutely love the English Premier league chants.

To be fair,

John Denver > INXS.

HOpe we never go down that path too much.. and never ever have individual songs for individual players…….

That said I was pumped by Eminem at 3/4 time in th3 gf.

But it’s much better when organically created by the magpie army.

We have the power of the biggest and loudest supporter base in the country and all you want to use it for is as a celebration when the game is already won (like it used to ie late Q4 when we’re 5 goals up)?

Crazy. We absolutely should use it to put energy back into the players, whether we’re in front or not, at critical parts of the game. The players themselves say it makes them lift, and opposition players hate it.

To be fair,

John Denver > INXS.

HOpe we never go down that path too much.. and never ever have individual songs for individual players…….

That said I was pumped by Eminem at 3/4 time in th3 gf.

But it’s much better when organically created by the magpie army.

They played Gimme Shelter one half time at the ‘G, that was a good build up. Also The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson, but of course he’s been me-too’d in no uncertain terms and there is the standard s**t bloke disclaimer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back