The Collingwood (Long) Chant

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we actually know when it was created or who by? Some drunken mates in the Ponsford Stand? We know its atleast as early as 2003 but hoping someone has a good memory of when abouts it became a thing as I was too young to know what was going on
It was inspired by the slow "Freeeeeo" chant from their cheer squad back in the early 2000s.

Our cheer squad at the time took inspiration from it and adopted it with our own chant.

It's got nothing to do with Liverpool or European football in any general as far as I know.

I may be old and out of touch, but I’m getting furious at emcees with microphones trying to stir up the chant in what strikes me as a very exploitative fashion.

It’s a battle cry which should take root amongst the fans in the outer, trying with everything we can muster to lift our black and white heroes to victory, and in doing so have it spread like wildfire around the ground.

Having some knob with a mike yelling “alright give us a Collllllllliiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggwwwoooooood!” in the line for merch at the AIA Centre is cringeworthy and lame and is going to cheapen and kill it for everybody.

Tell me if I’m out of line here…
Agreed, to be used sparringly!

The best thing about is the Bombers try to copy!

It was inspired by the slow "Freeeeeo" chant from their cheer squad back in the early 2000s.

Our cheer squad at the time took inspiration from it and adopted it with our own chant.

It's got nothing to do with Liverpool or European football in any general as far as I know.
It’s a direct copy of the Liverpool chant. Obvious to anyone who watches the EPL.

Last edited:
I watch the PL, but that’s not where the cheersquad derived inspiration from originally.

The thread below on Nick’s explains the origins in brief detail:

You might be right, although I’d be loath to believe anything Joffa says. The Freo chant is just an adaption of any long chant. Collingwood is more like the Liverpool chant as both have three syllables

I guess the point is that it’s nothing new. When I first heard it I didn’t like it. As it reminded me of Liverpool and I absolutely despise them.

I have warmed to the chant, especially this year. I do think it is overused though.

And Freo actually copied it from West Coast. Unfortunately I’ve been to many West Coast games and they would start with the EAGLES chant in the last qtr when they knew they had the game in hand….then Freo started doin the same thing not long later in their games.

Over used chant especially at the 5 min mark in the first Qtr!!!

Timing is everything
10 goals up 15 minutes into the first quarter V Cartoon, it's eminently appropriate.

I think that the Collingwood faithfull at the ground are the ones who make the decision.
i never want to see some pleb with a microphone "starting" a chant.

It should be 100% organic and spontaneous to the match play as it unfolds.

Hence, there no "appropriate" timing.

I remember doing the long chant, solo, Scotch assisted, at or around 3am after the 2010 GF win in front of the caravan full of Geelong supporters................

In my opinion we used to do the chant years ago once the game was won.
Nowadays we bring it on earlier to lift the boys.
Anyone else here remember?

You are correct, but it’s better the way it is now.
horn-gondor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 goals up 15 minutes into the first quarter V Cartoon, it's eminently appropriate.

I think that the Collingwood faithfull at the ground are the ones who make the decision.
i never want to see some pleb with a microphone "starting" a chant.

It should be 100% organic and spontaneous to the match play as it unfolds.

Hence, there no "appropriate" timing.

I remember doing the long chant, solo, Scotch assisted, at or around 3am after the 2010 GF win in front of the caravan full of Geelong supporters................
Speaking of plebs with microphones, at Grand Final open training I remember the MC was trying to get the chant going an I thought “please don’t…… you’re gonna dilute the reason why the fans do it”

Speaking of plebs with microphones, at Grand Final open training I remember the MC was trying to get the chant going an I thought “please don’t…… you’re gonna dilute the reason why the fans do it”

Amen brother.

The microphonee needs a good talking to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back