Opinion The Collingwood Versus Port Adelaide Jumper Debate continues...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the Australian Football League, not Collingwood Football League. Totally the leagues decision. I think they can wear it but not against Collingwood.
The AFL has told Port no, they can't wear it.

Port don't want to heed that, so to answer what you just said, yes it's not the Collingwwod Football League and it's not the Port Adelaide Football League, it is the Australian Football League as you say, and they have spoken.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this wasn't really an issue until Port got its current President

You're wrong, it's been an issue since 1997. We were barred from using a prison bar guernsey under the same rules we are now in the 2004, 2005 and 2006 heritage rounds.

The weak, ineffetual current president only talks about it because of a supporter campaign that demanded he did.

You kept asking everyone reasons why the AFL wouldn't allow you to wear the jumper, so I thought I would ask you your opinion.

You came back with a the hair brained theory that it was because Collingwood had mates in the state government.

You tell everyone how wrong they are with their ideas, but then come up with this.

At the time you suggest, Collingwood were fighting with local council, if they had mates in state government, i'm sure they would have used them.

So this great conspiracy theory of yours, is better than what everyone else suggests, even though theirs is more logical.

I have no idea why you're banging on about conspiracy theories.

Collingwood are a big club with powerful allies in places the AFL needs powerful allies. They aren't the only club with such influence but they are certainly one of the most influential. Are you really arguing that Collingwood haven't been an influential club? It's not even a shot at Collingwood.

Do you really think we'd be having this issue if we wanted to wear colours we shared with St Kilda, Brisbane or North?

We've seen plenty of other clubs wear heritage guernseys using the colours of established Victorian clubs without hearing a peep about it.

The only other example in the league of a club having an issue with a heritage design was the Crows wearing the SA state guernsey, and that was approved by the AFL, with the Crows then deciding on their own not to wear it when petitioned hard by former SA state of origin players.

I have no idea why you're banging on about conspiracy theories.

Collingwood are a big club with powerful allies in places the AFL needs powerful allies. They aren't the only club with such influence but they are certainly one of the most influential. Are you really arguing that Collingwood haven't been an influential club? It's not even a shot at Collingwood.

Do you really think we'd be having this issue if we wanted to wear colours we shared with St Kilda, Brisbane or North?

We've seen plenty of other clubs wear heritage guernseys using the colours of established Victorian clubs without hearing a peep about it.

The only other example in the league of a club having an issue with a heritage design was the Crows wearing the SA state guernsey, and that was approved by the AFL, with the Crows then deciding on their own not to wear it when petitioned hard by former SA state of origin players.
You have no idea why i'm banging on about it?
Seriously, are you that slow?

You have argued with everyone else's theories, so I asked you, and you came up with a conspiracy theory that we had friends in the government.

So the rest of your post, maybe listen to what you've been told, I think they have more chance of being right than your stupid theory.

You have no idea why i'm banging on about it?
Seriously, are you that slow?

You have argued with everyone else's theories, so I asked you, and you came up with a conspiracy theory that we had friends in the government.

So the rest of your post, maybe listen to what you've been told, I think they have more chance of being right than your stupid theory.
My theory is Occam's razor here.

Every other theory falls down immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you lot need to stop whining.
Clearly bothers you.
You would this your relative lack of success the last 50 years would have taught you some humility. Clearly not.
Tell you what, maybe use the Ignore function and you won’t have to read rational discussion. And I’ll use it as well, but for the opposite reason.

Yeah you're special.

Why do you think we're not wearing the bars next week?

How does your theory fit in with the 5 times we've worn the bars at AFL level, remembering that Eddie has been about as against it as you can possibly be the entire time?

Port signed a contract to wear a different set of colours to Collingwood when they agreed to join the AFL.
Now they want to break the contract and are sooking because they can't get their own way.

It's like a small child refusing to accept NO as answer and whining in the hope the parents will change their mind.

Port signed a contract to wear a different set of colours to Collingwood when they agreed to join the AFL.
Now they want to break the contract and are sooking because they can't get their own way.

It's like a small child refusing to accept NO as answer and whining in the hope the parents will change their mind.

We've "broken the contract" 5 times and funnily enough it has never ended up in a court room or with any other form of legal action whatsoever.

It's almost as if there is no contract specifically denying us the right to wear the bars, and that it's simply at the whim of the AFL who approve every club's on field uniforms.

Why do you think we're not wearing the bars next week?

How does your theory fit in with the 5 times we've worn the bars at AFL level, remembering that Eddie has been about as against it as you can possibly be the entire time?
I have given you some reasons and have also told you they are just my opinions.

Collingwood (Eddie) don't trust you, Especiall when told we stole the colours, you won't win Eddie over that way.

I also think Collingwood still has the shits over the Nick Stevens non trade, especially when he went to Carlton.

But the main reason is, they don't trust you, an inch and a mile and all that.

We've "broken the contract" 5 times and funnily enough it has never ended up in a court room or with any other form of legal action whatsoever.

It's almost as if there is no contract specifically denying us the right to wear the bars, and that it's simply at the whim of the AFL who approve every club's on field uniforms.
Wow, really?

Then go ahead a wear the bars then if you think it's fine, see how long you last.

Clearly bothers you.
You would this your relative lack of success the last 50 years would have taught you some humility. Clearly not.
Tell you what, maybe use the Ignore function and you won’t have to read rational discussion. And I’ll use it as well, but for the opposite reason.
Collingwood just helped the swans get their biggest crowd in 25 years.

What have you guys done for the AFL other than whine and rack up a huge debt?

Once the Prison Bars get a regular gig I’d be more than happy to bring this jumper back on occasion. It’s probably my favourite AFL-only Port guernsey design.
Would be cool to see. Those early days Power guernseys have actually aged quite well.

I don’t understand why the AFL panders to Collingwood on the guernsey issue so much, should be put to bed - Footy is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, it’s good for the fans so let it go ahead.

I have given you some reasons and have also told you they are just my opinions.

Collingwood (Eddie) don't trust you, Especiall when told we stole the colours, you won't win Eddie over that way.

I also think Collingwood still has the shits over the Nick Stevens non trade, especially when he went to Carlton.

But the main reason is, they don't trust you, an inch and a mile and all that.

Okay, this is all fine, but it's not actually mutually exclusive with what I'm saying.

I fully agree that Collingwood have control over this and that Collingwood have their own reasons for turning us down. But the control that Collingwood have is deferred by the AFL and the AFL could take it away and approve the bars tomorrow if it suited them, as they've done 5 times in the past.

Wow, really?

Then go ahead a wear the bars then if you think it's fine, see how long you last.

We'd cop a fine, possibly some other sanctions from the AFL.

There wouldn't be any legal action because this isn't something controlled by a specific contract in relation to the guernsey, we'd simply be breaking the AFL's rules in relation to playing uniforms by wearing something they hadn't approved. Collingwood certainly wouldn't have any recourse to take legal action, it would be something dealt with under the AFL rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back