Politics The comparison between Hitler and Donald Trump (It's not about genocide)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have copied this to its own thread on the main SRP board as I think this particular point deserves greater discussion.

The argument is compelling, and so the need for US citizens to engage in protest and civil disobedience.

While Trump’s crusade had at times been malign, as had his vociferous supporters, he and they did not seem bent on genocide. He did not seem bent on anything but hideous, hurtful simplemindedness — a childishly vindictive buffoon trailing racist followers whose existence he had mainstreamed. When I say followers I’m thinking about the perpetrators of violence against women outlined by New York Magazine who punched women in the face and shouted racist slurs at them. Those supporters. These are the people Trump has dragged into the mainstream, and as my friend Michael Hirschorn pointed out, their hatefulness will no longer find the Obama Justice Department standing in their way.

Bad enough, but genocide is almost by definition beyond comparison with “normal” politics and everyday thuggish behavior, and to compare Trump’s feckless racism and compulsive lying was inevitably to trivialize Hitler’s crime and the victims of genocide.

¤

But after the election, things changed. Now Trump and his minions are in the driver’s seat, attempting to pose as respectable participants in American politics, when their views come out of a playbook written in German. Now is the time for a much closer inspection of the tactics and strategy that brought off this spectacular distortion of American values.

Edit: I copied this on mobile, and for some reason the link is missing:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/normalization-lesson-munich-post/

It's from the article linked in the Tweet in the OP.

Last edited:

I have copied this to its own thread on the main SRP board as I think this particular point deserves greater discussion.

The argument is compelling, and so the need for US citizens to engage in protest and civil disobedience.

While Trump’s crusade had at times been malign, as had his vociferous supporters, he and they did not seem bent on genocide. He did not seem bent on anything but hideous, hurtful simplemindedness — a childishly vindictive buffoon trailing racist followers whose existence he had mainstreamed. When I say followers I’m thinking about the perpetrators of violence against women outlined by New York Magazine who punched women in the face and shouted racist slurs at them. Those supporters. These are the people Trump has dragged into the mainstream, and as my friend Michael Hirschorn pointed out, their hatefulness will no longer find the Obama Justice Department standing in their way.

Bad enough, but genocide is almost by definition beyond comparison with “normal” politics and everyday thuggish behavior, and to compare Trump’s feckless racism and compulsive lying was inevitably to trivialize Hitler’s crime and the victims of genocide.

¤

But after the election, things changed. Now Trump and his minions are in the driver’s seat, attempting to pose as respectable participants in American politics, when their views come out of a playbook written in German. Now is the time for a much closer inspection of the tactics and strategy that brought off this spectacular distortion of American values.
Whilst I agree on your view of the difference in their views on race (atleast for now) I'm not sure I no longer believe they have a different view on what they believe their role should be. Trump seems to be following all steps to plan a coup so that he can become a dictator.

Whilst I agree on your view of the difference in their views on race (atleast for now) I'm not sure I no longer believe they have a different view on what they believe their role should be. Trump seems to be following all steps to plan a coup so that he can become a dictator.
And he is playing the buffoon. Pretending not to know what he is doing. Making "blunders" that just happen to shred the US' democratic system.

It's a good thing they have the Second Amendment. If Trump is literally Hitler, then a well armed US populace might be the best defence against him.

It's a good thing they have the Second Amendment. If Trump is literally Hitler, then a well armed US populace might be the best defence against him.
Most of those who have guns are the fools who would see a Trump dictatorship as legitimate. They have already been conned into thinking that foreign hacking into an election by Russia is perfectly fine. The majority with guns would help Trumps cause and shoot down dissidents. Did Nazi Germany teach us nothing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice circle jerk
I don't hide, unlike some.
But I should clarify, not nationalities, just some individuals as I don't care what colour skin they have, what language they speak, nor what religion. Just what comes out their mouth or what they write. Get it now?

I don't hide, unlike some.
But I should clarify, not nationalities, just some individuals as I don't care what colour skin they have, what language they speak, nor what religion. Just what comes out their mouth or what they write. Get it now?

I hate carlton peoples. No law against discrimination for following an evil football club

Most of those who have guns are the fools who would see a Trump dictatorship as legitimate. They have already been conned into thinking that foreign hacking into an election by Russia is perfectly fine. The majority with guns would help Trumps cause and shoot down dissidents. Did Nazi Germany teach us nothing?
Nothing is stopping those who oppose Trump from exercising their Second Amendment rights. One might argue such an amendment was introduced to protect against the likes of Trump.

Not doing so means acquiescing to the Literal Hitler.

Nothing is stopping those who oppose Trump from exercising their Second Amendment rights. One might argue such an amendment was introduced to protect against the likes of Trump.

Not doing so means acquiescing to the Literal Hitler.
Do you honestly think men with guns can do anything against a modern US military? The sole reason why the second amendment was even written is completely redundant in the modern age.

Do you honestly think men with guns can do anything against a modern US military? The sole reason why the second amendment was even written is completely redundant in the modern age.
How is that so?
"The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The right of the people to keep and bear Arms is very relevant to guard against rogue governments or an invading force. It is easier to defeat a domestic army. It is not so easy to fight civilians door to door in a guerilla warfare situation.

Trump has been compared to Hitler since he started his campaign. The alarming thing is not whether the comparison is warranted, but that half of U.S was largely complacent about it (didn't vote) and a quarter actually supported Trump's views. When you some corners of social media you realise that what happened in Germany could have happened anywhere in history, including now, if requisite anger and resentment exist. And there is so much anger festering in the West right now. Its taken Trump and Brexit for the liberal media and establishment to realise this but now its almost too late.

So when faced with Literal Hitler, the best thing to do is acquiesce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back