The Completely Non-Jinxing "We Must Select Ben Jarman!!!" thread

Not should, but WILL we select Ben Jarman?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't have to nominate. He can go into the draft and if a club bids for him as an eligible F/s, both Hawthorn and Adelaide have the rights to match the bid under the points sytem. Thats how I understand it anyway.

Irrespective, he's likely going to go late anyway - they suspect 4th round - and there's no guarantee either club will pick him up. I think it's smart of him to be open minded about it as he just wants to play AFL like any other kid.
If he doesn't think Hawthorn or Adelaide are interested then i understand, otherwise I think it's dumb.

It's like participating in a lucky dip, except someone has pulled out the two best prizes and all you need to is choose one you will get it. Instead he puts them back and insists on trying his luck.

Absolutely.
I think the issue is, were it not for his name, he would likely be considered only an outside chance to get picked up by anyone due to his size and lack of pace. Im sure Ben and family would know that, hence why not being too choosy. I think if he were more highly rated, you might see a bit more urgency to have him nominate a preference.

I think the issue is, were it not for his name, he would likely be considered only an outside chance to get picked up by anyone due to his size and lack of pace. Im sure Ben and family would know that, hence why not being too choosy. I think if he were more highly rated, you might see a bit more urgency to have him nominate a preference.
But surely he understands that nominating a club increases his likelihood of being drafted exponentially??

But surely he understands that nominating a club increases his likelihood of being drafted exponentially??
It really doesn't under the new system. Given his late round status, it may actually increase his chances not to nominate. There are other clubs interested at that end of the draft.

It really doesn't under the new system. Given his late round status, it may actually increase his chances not to nominate. There are other clubs interested at that end of the draft.
But you don't nominate without speaking to the club.

The club will either tell you yes, or no.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if be nominates us and another club bids, then we must use our next available selection?

So by nominating us and getting the agreement of the club, he guaranteed to get picked up by us where we see his value is at, or by another club that rates him higher than what we want to pay.

This meets his desire to get drafted and increases the chances of him getting to his club of choice.

This just seems like an obvious and logical thing to do, or am I missing something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you don't nominate without speaking to the club.

The club will either tell you yes, or no.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if be nominates us and another club bids, then we must use our next available selection?

So by nominating us and getting the agreement of the club, he guaranteed to get picked up by us where we see his value is at, or by another club that rates him higher than what we want to pay.

This meets his desire to get drafted and increases the chances of him getting to his club of choice.

This just seems like an obvious and logical thing to do, or am I missing something.
No, we have to match points with a 20% discount.

It doesnt work like it used to. The only reason people want Ben to nominate is because he has dual eligibility but in reality it doesnt mean anything. Whichever of the Hawks or Us (or any other club) bid first will be deemed to have "bid" and the other club (Hawks/Adelaide) then have the option to match. If the Bulldogs want to pull him with a second rounder, we may decide not to match. Same with Hawthorn.

edit: if a third party club bids, and both Adelaide and Hawthorn match, then Ben gets to choose as I understand it. Thats the only time his nomination carries any weight.

He just enters the draft as an eligible Father/son, just like Daicos and all the other F/s kids.

FWIW, I played soccer with Ben's manager a while back and I can tell you he's a pretty big Crows fan. I realise as a manager you'd have to be completely impartial but hopefully that can sway at least little influence our way. A quick Google search show's he's got a signed Crows jumper up in his office.

No, we have to match points with a 20% discount.

It doesnt work like it used to. The only reason people want Ben to nominate is because he has dual eligibility but in reality it doesnt mean anything. Whichever of the Hawks or Us (or any other club) bid first will be deemed to have "bid" and the other club (Hawks/Adelaide) then have the option to match. If the Bulldogs want to pull him with a second rounder, we may decide not to match. Same with Hawthorn.

edit: if a third party club bids, and both Adelaide and Hawthorn match, then Ben gets to choose as I understand it. Thats the only time his nomination carries any weight.

He just enters the draft as an eligible Father/son, just like Daicos and all the other F/s kids.
That can't be right. Say we did match the Hawks bid in your example, why do we get him and not the Hawks?

That can't be right. Say we did match the Hawks bid in your example, why do we get him and not the Hawks?
As I said, it's murky, and I can't find any definitive ruling, but my understanding is that in the case where both Hawthorn and Adelaide make matching bids, Ben gets to choose. It's the only scenario where his nomination carries any weight.

As I said, it's murky, and I can't find any definitive ruling, but my understanding is that in the case where both Hawthorn and Adelaide make matching bids, Ben gets to choose. It's the only scenario where his nomination carries any weight.

He has to choose a club before the draft, and only that team can use the discount if another team bids on him.

If he doesn't nominate, no team can use the discount and he goes into the draft as normal.

Nominating makes no difference in his chance to be drafted. He either doesn't nominate and gets picked up by any club, or he does nominate and a club places a bid, in which case he moves to his nominated club for a discount (or the nominated club doesn't match and the club that places a bid drafts him).

The only reason he would have less chance of being drafted after nominating is if nominating affected his trade value

If Ben nominates us Hawthorn have no father son rights at all, and vice versa.

If he declines to nominate as a father son selection then he is no different to any other draftee.

He has to choose a club before the draft, and only that team can use the discount if another team bids on him.

If he doesn't nominate, no team can use the discount and he goes into the draft as normal.

Nominating makes no difference in his chance to be drafted. He either doesn't nominate and gets picked up by any club, or he does nominate and a club places a bid, in which case he moves to his nominated club for a discount (or the nominated club doesn't match and the club that places a bid drafts him).

The only reason he would have less chance of being drafted after nominating is if nominating affected his trade value
Id love a link, I can't find anything definitive. What I can find on F/s makes no reference to a player having to nominate their eligible club prior to the draft, but then we haven't had a dual eligible player under the current system.

Id love a link, I can't find anything definitive. What I can find on F/s makes no reference to a player having to nominate their eligible club prior to the draft, but then we haven't had a dual eligible player under the current system.
Nomination is a two way street too, the player must nominate a father son select, and the club must nominate them too.

We've seen this recently with Harry Dear, was eligible for father son but the club declined and we selected him without any bidding.

Wasn't Bailey Rice dual eligible last year?

Back