Analysis The Comprehensive AFL Player Map

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the map against the Barassi line:

1570254651458.png

Not that it'll help me ever but it's interesting to know Cedric Cox is from Halls Creek of all places.

Love the map. Only thing I would change is that I would make NSW and Victoria have colours that are more different as it is a bit hard to tell them apart.

Yeah I tried using state colours where I could.

Great work! Was confused to see Cunnington the sole representative of Cobden... Zac Merrett and Gary Rohan?

Just need to zoom in a bit, coz I've mapped each player to the actual ground of the club so from a distance it looks like just Cunnington. Should be him, Merrett, Rohan and Darcy.

Chief if there's a way for you to somehow embed this on the site I would be happy for you to host it.

Hats off to you - that's impressive. Central Australia not producing anything which is intetrsting. Who was the last player picked up from the Alice?
Gotta remember a lot of kids from the regions either live in places that are too remote, or if fortunate and live closer to a town with a footy team in an organised league and get noticed, may end up at a boarding school with a scholarship from late primary/early high school on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta remember a lot of kids from the regions either live in places that are too remote, or if fortunate and live closer to a town with a footy team in an organised league and get noticed, may end up at a boarding school with a scholarship from late primary/early high school on.

Players who did go to a boarding school have still been attributed to their original club ie Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti to Tiwi, Jack Hombsch to Roxby Downs. There's just genuinely no one from Central Australia.

Lachie Hunter played at Willy Juniors as you have noted, but Willy Juniors are located at Bayview Street, Williamstown (Bayside College Williamstown Campus) and not Blenheim Road, Newport (Bayside College Paisley Campus).

Lachie Hunter played at Willy Juniors as you have noted, but Willy Juniors are located at Bayview Street, Williamstown (Bayside College Williamstown Campus) and not Blenheim Road, Newport (Bayside College Paisley Campus).

Cheers mate!

Hats off to you - that's impressive. Central Australia not producing anything which is intetrsting. Who was the last player picked up from the Alice?

off the top of my head with an axe, Liam Jurrah

I have been working on this for a few days and have finally finished it tonight. This is a map of every Australian AFL player and which football side they played the majority of their junior footy.

You can use the 'Filter items' to find a specific player or club.
Can you filter by state and by AFL club?

It's already listed by state at the moment, but I might add groups for the AFL clubs.
It would be handy to add the AFL club and the state of origin alongside each player's name and junior club.

a) I don't know who half of them are!
b) I imagine most people would like to filter for their own club's players
c) it would be useful to see at a glance exactly how many players come from each state
(That's the main reason why I opened the thread)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back