Jake Melksham
Sam Weideman
Joel Smith
Christian Salem
Billy Stretch
Sam Frost
Alex Neal-Bullen
Corey Maynard (Cat A Rookie)
Oskar Baker (Assumed, as a 2017 draftee)
Josh Wagner
Jay Kennedy-Harris

Out of Contract, 2020

Michael Hibberd
Jack Viney
Jayden Hunt
Christian Petracca
Mitch Hannan
Bayley Fritsch
Charlie Spargo
Harrison Petty

James Harmes
Oscar McDonald

Out of Contract, 2021

Jake Lever
Max Gawn
Clayton Oliver
Neville Jetta
Aaron vandenBerg
Kade Kolodjashnij [No link; was reported on AFL Trade Radio during 2018 Trade Period]

Out of Contract, 2022

Tom McDonald
Angus Brayshaw
Braydon Preuss [No link; was reported during 2018 Trade Period]

Out of Contract, 2023

Steven May

Last edited:

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Can't confirm any of the following but I'd say Frost is this year considering it'll be his 3rd on the list, I'd hazard a guess both Bugg and Kennedy are 2018.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Will be very interesting to see what they do with Vince, who'll be 32 at the end of the year. One-year contract I'd assume.
Don't think we should be giving him any more than one, as much as I love him. Wouldn't have been surprised before round 1 if he didn't play on beyond this year but his form (Albeit one game) looks great.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Of this lot:

Liam Hulett (Assumed, as a 2015 draftee)
Jay Kennedy-Harris
Mitch King (Assumed, as a 2015 draftee)
Alex Neal-Bullen
Cameron Pedersen
Christian Salem
Jake Spencer
Billy Stretch
Jack Trengove
Aaron Vendenberg
Mitch White
Bernie Vince

You'd think JKH, Pedo, Trengove and White would be the ones immediately in the gun. Only Salem and Stretch would be guaranteed a contractor offer, and probably Spencil as well given our ruck stocks.
AVB would be in trouble too, mainly as a trade bait option. Guy is good in the middle, but he's a depth player now. And with ANB strugling to get a game in the middle (lets face it he's useless elsewhere), AVB is even further back in the pecking order.

Might be worth it to a club in desperate need of competetive physical players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
2 years each for Salem and Stretch and 1 year for Vince and Spencil.
I reckon Spencil will get 2. Too easy to poach for a club in desperate need. Plus who is the other ruck? King? If that guy is ever not injured we could consider cutting it down to 1

Sellout Scully

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
In terms of priority signings this season:

1. Salem
2. Stretch
3. Vince
4. Spencer
5. AVB
6. ANB
7. King

I'd wait until the season progresses before opening contract talks with JKH, Pederson, Trengove, Hulett, and Filipovic (needs to be added to OP 1 year assumed rookie)

Unless a miracle happens I wouldn't be offering White another contract as he'd have to be elevated from the rookie list and we have several players in his position

The Dr

Premiership Player
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon Spencil will get 2. Too easy to poach for a club in desperate need. Plus who is the other ruck? King? If that guy is ever not injured we could consider cutting it down to 1
I sincerely hope we target a forward/ruck this year. Spence is a solid back-up to Max, but they rarely play in the same team together and Spence is a limited (albeit competitive) AFL ruckman.

However, there's a bit of a hole in our list for that forward/ruck position - some clubs are lucky enough to have a great option (Lobb, Jenkins, Tippett, Boyd etc) but they don't grow on trees. If we can find one via a trade or through the state leagues, it'd be gold.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I sincerely hope we target a forward/ruck this year. Spence is a solid back-up to Max, but they rarely play in the same team together and Spence is a limited (albeit competitive) AFL ruckman.

However, there's a bit of a hole in our list for that forward/ruck position - some clubs are lucky enough to have a great option (Lobb, Jenkins, Tippett, Boyd etc) but they don't grow on trees. If we can find one via a trade or through the state leagues, it'd be gold.
The problem is that a ruck/forward is always a dominant forward who is not completely useless in the ruck. And as key forwards are already at a massive premium, they cost an arm and a let. Might as well just draft a key forward and get by with Max.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United

If we're going to have a legitimate forward/ruck, we can't play Watts/Hogan/Weideman as well. That is simply too tall.

PerfectFooty

Perfect Cell
Apr 23, 2013
Benalla
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
As of right now this is what i'd do looking through my coaches goggles (Not my preference, as there is some i'd want to keep on)

New contracts
1 Year - Pedersen
1 Year - Spencer
2 Years - ANB
2 Years - Hulett (devlopment)
3 Years - Salem
3 Years - Stretch

Re-Rookie (1 year)
- Tim Smith
- Keilty
- Filipovic

Delist or Trade
JKH
Trengove (i'd want to give him 1 year though)
vandenBerg (i'd want to give him 1 year though)
Mitch King
Mitch White

Retire
Bernie Vince (i'd offer one year if he wants to go around again)

Extend
- Gawn
- Hunt
- Jetta
- Petracca
- Tom McDonald
- Oscar McDonald

Sir Hugh Percy

BigFooty Aristocrat
Jun 7, 2012
Earlthwaite Manor
AFL Club
Melbourne
As of right now this is what i'd do looking through my coaches goggles (Not my preference, as there is some i'd want to keep on)

New contracts
1 Year - Pedersen
1 Year - Spencer
2 Years - ANB
2 Years - Hulett (devlopment)
3 Years - Salem
3 Years - Stretch

Re-Rookie (1 year)
- Tim Smith
- Keilty
- Filipovic

Delist or Trade
JKH
Trengove (i'd want to give him 1 year though)
vandenBerg (i'd want to give him 1 year though)
Mitch King
Mitch White

Retire
Bernie Vince (i'd offer one year if he wants to go around again)

Extend
- Gawn
- Hunt
- Jetta
- Petracca
- Tom McDonald
- Oscar McDonald
VDB would be stiff - hasn't had a run at it at all this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom