List Mgmt. The Contract Status Thread (as of March 2024)

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
From here, I think it's pretty clear what will happen with most players.

Trenners - retires.
Hulett - delisted.
Mitch King - rookie/1 year/delisted
Spencil - will demand 2 years I think, will get a chance elsewhere if he doesn't get it
White - gone
Vanders - 1 year extension
Vince - 1 year extension
Filipovic - don't know enough about him
Frost - 2/3 years (his call)
Kennedy - gone
Bugg - 1 year

Trade bait:
Garland - but nobody will take him. I'd love to see him prove everybody wrong, still
Wagner - see above, without the proving everybody wrong!

Forgot Kent. Has to be tradebait, but his value has diminished significantly on the back of injuries and regression. If we somehow manage to offload Kent, it may give Kennedy a reprieve as a rookie, but unfortunately I don't see how that happens considering Goody is refusing to pick him despite unreal VFL form. Is he a chance for the JJ Liston Trophy?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Forgot Kent. Has to be tradebait, but his value has diminished significantly on the back of injuries and regression. If we somehow manage to offload Kent, it may give Kennedy a reprieve as a rookie, but unfortunately I don't see how that happens considering Goody is refusing to pick him despite unreal VFL form. Is he a chance for the JJ Liston Trophy?

Wouldn't trade Kent, his value is as low as it'll ever be.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure about Kent. Hopefully he can break through the injury barrier next year and also alleviate some form issues. 2016 was a good year for him, I think our side is better with him in it and in form.

Kennedy obviously showed quite a bit last year, and his VFL form suggests he is going well, but I think with Kent fit and Garlett our no.1 small forward, he won't get a look in.

Garland - will retire
Trengove - will retire
Vince - Delist
Watts - trade
Vandenberg - really hope he comes on but can't see it happening with all these injuries he has had

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
It seems like the following senior listed players will be going at the end of this year;

Trenners
Kennedy
Hulett

It sounds like Spencer and Frost might both be looking at other options, Col Garland could retire and Lamumba is thankfully gone already.

With Mitch White likely to join them on the way out from the rookie list, and Filipovic potentially in the line of sights as well, I am not sure how many more list changes we would want to make in one year.

Linked to Lever, and maybe we can pull something else out of the hat, but I doubt we want to be going to the draft looking to take 6-7 new kids. May as well keep some blokes for depth for another year, going to be more use if we have injuries than an 18 year old rookie. Hurts me to say it after this season but we probably need to give Vince another year purely as depth rather than taking one extra kid.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It seems like the following senior listed players will be going at the end of this year;

Trenners
Kennedy
Hulett

It sounds like Spencer and Frost might both be looking at other options, Col Garland could retire and Lamumba is thankfully gone already.

With Mitch White likely to join them on the way out from the rookie list, and Filipovic potentially in the line of sights as well, I am not sure how many more list changes we would want to make in one year.

Linked to Lever, and maybe we can pull something else out of the hat, but I doubt we want to be going to the draft looking to take 6-7 new kids. May as well keep some blokes for depth for another year, going to be more use if we have injuries than an 18 year old rookie. Hurts me to say it after this season but we probably need to give Vince another year purely as depth rather than taking one extra kid.

Not sure why we'd delist a first year ruck prospect in Filivopic.

Agree with the sentiment though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure why we'd delist a first year ruck prospect in Filivopic.

Agree with the sentiment though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeh true, I forgot that this was Filipovic's first year. Probably not a lot of point drafting an 18 year old ruckman in the first place if you are only going to give them one year, so we should give him a little longer.

I'd be surprised if we cut Vince, he'll probably just get a one year deal on minimum wage.
I agree mate and so he should.
Whilst I think he's obviously well past his best, he is well worth keeping for the sake of depth.
Performed some pretty reasonable defensive roles this year and is a better option than some others.

So a few important players of ours become free agents next year.
Gawn
Jetta
Tmac
---------------
Garland
I wouldnt worry about those three guys
Deals should be done over the summer

I wouldnt worry about those three guys
Deals should be done over the summer
Hope so mate!!
Only one that worries me a little bit is probably Tmac.
I remember he weighed up for a while last time before signing and obviously only extended by 2 years so he was coming OOC when he becomes a free agent.
I wouldn't be surprised if he holds out a bit longer and tests the waters. Particularly now that he's shown he can play forward well.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
ANB should be in 2019...

I would love to see some movement before the start of next season on Trac, OMac, TMac, Braysh, Jetta & Gawn.

Would offer Trac 5 years at least.

sylvieMFC

Debutant
Aug 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So a few important players of ours become free agents next year.
Gawn
Jetta
Tmac
---------------
Garland
All staying at Melbourne, including Garland.

While I'm not a big Garland fan, he is probably in our best 22. If we get Lever, we can send Tom down forward more often.

EDIT: also not an OMac fan.

Last edited:
All staying at Melbourne, including Garland.

While I'm not a big Garland fan, he is probably in our best 22. If we get Lever, we can send Tom down forward more often.

EDIT: also not an OMac fan.
You know this or is it just hope?
Garland is not best 22.

Back