List Mgmt. The Core - 2026 Onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This thread is to discuss the future core of our football team.

This list build feels like it's taking forever, especially when we aren't seeing any obvious on field improvements, but despite all those issues, a strong core is emerging that I think will hold us in good stead from 2025/26 onwards (assuming none of them leave). We still have some big holes to fill, but I think the building blocks are starting to come together. I'm probably going a bit early on the likes of Hardeman, and their are question marks as to whether Goater/Logue can get back to their best post injuries but I'm very confident there is long term players in all of them.

B: xxxxx, Comben, Goater
HB: Sheezel, Logue, Hardeman
C: xxxxx, Wardlaw, xxxxx
HF: Duursma, xxxxx, xxxxx
F: Curtis, Larkey, xxxxx
Foll: Xerri, McKercher, LDU
Int: Powell, xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx

That biggest gaping holes we have at the moment is Centre Half Forward, Small Forward, Wings and a lock down back pocket. We'll also need a bit more top end midfield depth, but I'd imagine we'll get that in this year's draft. There is potential that some players on the list could fill these roles to the required level to be a competitive side (Scott/Fisher/Stephens/Simpkin ec), but it remains to be seen if they'll be good enough for us to push up the ladder considerably.

The current list break down below, suggests that we still have to churn over a considerable % of the list in order to get more talented players through the door. All of these lists are open for interpretation, but if any of the Gone or Question Marks lists develop significantly, then it will go a long way to us becoming a more competitive side in the short term, same thing applies to any players we add in the MSD.

Gone:

Greenwood
Stephens
Corr
Taylor
Tucker
Shields
CCJ
Nyuon
Pink
Drury
Free
Hansen Jnr
Stephenson

Still Developing:

W. Dawson
Goad

Question Marks:

Scott
McDonald
Simpkin
Stephens
Fisher
Bergman
Phillips
George
Archer
Lazzaro
Sellers
Harvey
Maley
Ford
K.Dawson
Zurhaar

Last edited:

This list build feels like it's taking forever, especially when we aren't seeing any obvious on field improvements, but despite all those issues, a strong core is emerging that I think will hold us in good stead from 2025/26 onwards (assuming none of them leave). We still have some big holes to fill, but I think the building blocks are starting to come together. I'm probably going a bit early on the likes of Hardeman, and their are question marks as to whether Goater/Logue can get back to their best post injuries but I'm very confident there is long term players in all of them.

That biggest gaping holes we have at the moment is Centre Half Forward, Small Forward, Wings and a lock down back pocket. We'll also need a bit more top end midfield depth, but I'd imagine we'll get that in this year's draft. There is potential that some players on the list could fill these roles to the required level to be a competitive side (Scott/Fisher/Stephens/Simpkin ec), but it remains to be seen if they'll be good enough for us to push up the ladder considerably.

The current list break down below, suggests that we still have to churn over a considerable % of the list in order to get more talented players through the door. All of these lists are open for interpretation, but if any of the Gone or Question Marks lists develop significantly, then it will go a long way to us becoming a more competitive side in the short term, same thing applies to any players we add in the MSD.

Gone:

Greenwood
Stephens
Corr
Taylor
Tucker
Shields
CCJ
Nyuon
Pink
Drury
Free
Hansen Jnr
Stephenson

Still Developing:

W. Dawson
Goad

Question Marks:

Scott
McDonald
Simpkin
Stephens
Fisher
Bergman
Phillips
George
Archer
Lazzaro
Sellers
Harvey
Maley
Ford
K.Dawson
Zurhaar
You’re assuming LDU will stay. I pray he does but he might not.

Ford, Scott and one of Bergman/Archer will surely be still on the list, and I would expect both of the first two and hopefully one of the latter two to be in the best 22. Simpkin still has time on his side, as does Philips imo. Stevo well you don't just lose talent but he's very frustrating. Being backed in atm which will make or break his career most likely. Kallan Dawson has shown a bit and is surely decent depth at worst.

We should be aiming for Zurharr compo to net us an established player who can fill one of the gaping holes you identify, but easier said than done.

Ford, Scott and one of Bergman/Archer will surely be still on the list, and I would expect both of the first two and hopefully one of the latter two to be in the best 22. Simpkin still has time on his side, as does Philips imo. Stevo well you don't just lose talent but he's very frustrating. Being backed in atm which will make or break his career most likely. Kallan Dawson has shown a bit and is surely decent depth at worst.

We should be aiming for Zurharr compo to net us an established player who can fill one of the gaping holes you identify, but easier said than done.

Most of the players mentioned in the question marks section will probably still be on the list, it's just whether or not they can improve enough to play a considerable role in us pushing up the ladder. I have high hopes for Ford, but he seems to be held to a different standard than other players on our list.

Scott has proven that he is capable,but has regressed a fair bit this year. He has the potential to be a really solid wingman, but would need to step it up considerably if he was to play that role in a top 8 side.

It would be amazing if Arch/Bergman/Phillips/Dawson could all nail down a role, but on current output I can't say it would be the case in 2-3 years' time. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm slightly less optimistic. This is where I have us:

FB: ??? ~ Logue (injury prone) ~ ???

HB: ??? ~ Comben (injury prone) ~ ????

C: ??? ~ Wardlaw (injury prone) ~ ???

HF: Zurhaar ~ ??? ~ ???

FF: Curtis ~ Larkey ~ ???

R: Xerri ~ LDU ~ ???

Non positional locks:

Simpkin (injury prone)
Sheezel
McKercher

It's a bit grim and I don't think we can just presume X player is a lock because they were a high draft pick.

I only have 11 locks, four of whom are injury prone, and 3 who we know they have the talent but don't know where they'll play. We may yet find Sheez and Colby don't settle well outside of the backline.

We have a lot of promising back flankers but none who have bedded down their spot to be considered a lock. The best two we have aren't back flankers which says something about the rest.

this is a thread I can get around!

reckon you can Slot W Dawson in the backline and J Smillie in there aswell

Great thread, equally comforting as it is frightening.

I have doubts about Powell unless he can add strings to his bow and develop in outside roles.

Highlights the backline really isn't the issue the media and some supporters make it out to be.

It all looks a bit less grim if W.Dawson develops as expected and if the number 1 pick comes in and ends up being a top end dominant player (as they should). Same can be said about next years first round pick which in all likelihood will be a top 3 pick.

It's going to come together a whole lot faster though, if any of the players from the Question Mark list end up being solid role players or genuinely elite players for their position. Additionally, if we can somehow find a diamond in rough through the MSD or as an SPP, then it's going to make considerable difference to our side.

Imagine how much different our midfield or wing situation would look if we found a player who could match the output of say Jai Newcombe or Nic Martin?

Non positional locks:

Simpkin (injury prone)
Sheezel
McKercher

It's a bit grim and I don't think we can just presume X player is a lock because they were a high draft pick.

I only have 11 locks, four of whom are injury prone, and 3 who we know they have the talent but don't know where they'll play. We may yet find Sheez and Colby don't settle well outside of the backline.

We have a lot of promising back flankers but none who have bedded down their spot to be considered a lock. The best two we have aren't back flankers which says something about the rest.
Slightly less? geez

Non positional locks:

Simpkin (injury prone)
Sheezel
McKercher

That's a fair assessment mate. As I mentioned in the OP I've probably gone a bit early on the likes of Hardeman & Goater and maybe I'm expecting a bit much from Logue. I really do think Goater was going to have a breakout year prior to his injury. Fingers and testicles crossed that he could get back to that level.

Personally, I don't have the concerns you have about Kerch and Sheez. I have no doubt that Kerch will be a high level/elite midfielder in a few years' time, and Sheez you could pencil in as a genuine elite utility who'll be able to play all across the park depending on where he is needed most. The two of them have already shown that they can be elite at AFL level and they have plenty of upside to come as they develop (same can be said for Wardlaw too).

Most of the players mentioned in the question marks section will probably still be on the list, it's just whether or not they can improve enough to play a considerable role in us pushing up the ladder. I have high hopes for Ford, but he seems to be held to a different standard than other players on our list.

Scott has proven that he is capable,but has regressed a fair bit this year. He has the potential to be a really solid wingman, but would need to step it up considerably if he was to play that role in a top 8 side.

It would be amazing if Arch/Bergman/Phillips/Dawson could all nail down a role, but on current output I can't say it would be the case in 2-3 years' time. I hope I'm wrong.
Thank God we have a thread talking about the future instead of re-litigating the mistakes of the past.

FWIW, pretty much all of the players named in this post are the future solid role players folks say we should be trading in. None of them A graders but they have shown they can do a job if put in their best positions.

That's a fair assessment mate. As I mentioned in the OP I've probably gone a bit early on the likes of Hardeman & Goater and maybe I'm expecting a bit much from Logue. I really do think Goater was going to have a breakout year prior to his injury. Fingers and testicles crossed that he could get back to that level.

Personally, I don't have the concerns you have about Kerch and Sheez. I have no doubt that Kerch will be a high level/elite midfielder in a few years' time, and Sheez you could pencil in as a genuine elite utility who'll be able to play all across the park depending on where he is needed most. The two of them have already shown that they can be elite at AFL level and they have plenty of upside to come as they develop (same can be said for Wardlaw too).

I know my post looks depresso but we're in year 2 of rebuild 3.0. The locks we have aren't too bad when you consider that.

One more big bodied mid, an elite small forward and a solid second KPF and we're looking pretty healthy to plug the rest of the gaps with role players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone:

Greenwood
Stephens
Corr
Taylor
Tucker
Shields
CCJ
Nyuon
Pink
Drury
Free
Hansen Jnr
Stephenson

Still Developing:

W. Dawson
Goad

Question Marks:

Scott
McDonald
Simpkin
Stephens
Fisher
Bergman
Phillips
George
Archer
Lazzaro
Sellers
Harvey
Maley
Ford
K.Dawson
Zurhaar
Hard to argue with a lot of that.

Good to see Goater being recognised. I rate him on the small sample we've seen.

If he turns into a player, I'd like him around the middle of the ground or better. Same zone for Sheezel.

I really rate Ford. If he gets a decent go at it - he's more than capable of being a mainstay in a couple of years.

I can only assume you haven't got McDonald gone because of his contract status.

Great thread, equally comforting as it is frightening.

I have doubts about Powell unless he can add strings to his bow and develop in outside roles.

Highlights the backline really isn't the issue the media and some supporters make it out to be.

Powell is the most creative ball user in the club by both hand and foot, and he has made great progress this year. I'm confident he will be a gun.

If he turns into a player, I'd like him around the middle of the ground or better. Same zone for Sheezel.

I really rate Ford. If he gets a decent go at it - he's more than capable of being a mainstay in a couple of years.

Provided Goater isnt hampered by the injury we have a player there for sure.
Longer term id like to see him take a wing.

Gone:

Greenwood
Stephens
Corr
Taylor
Tucker
Shields
CCJ
Nyuon
Pink
Drury
Free
Hansen Jnr
Stephenson

Still Developing:

W. Dawson
Goad

Question Marks:

Scott
McDonald
Simpkin
Stephens
Fisher
Bergman
Phillips
George
Archer
Lazzaro
Sellers
Harvey
Maley
Ford
K.Dawson
Zurhaar
Great thread and shows we're in far better shape than this depressing stage would lead us to believe.
A few things, id like to see McKercher and Goater taking a wing each.
Powell i have confidence will make a very competitive midfielder so slot him there instead of McKercher.
Plus its a reasonable assumption whoever we take with pick 1 or 2 this year will be part of that lineup.
W.Dawson we cant slot in yet, but i like what i see. If he continues his growth trajectory then id be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be an upgraded McKay.

I rate Ford higher than most around here and I'm hopeful that he cements his spot in the side sooner rather than later. Few alarm bells going off for me though, because he is uncontracted and he has come back from a minor niggle few the VFL. I hope I've got it wrong, but it seems as though he is lower on the pecking order than most supporters seem to think.

Don't have McDonald on there as his output over the last 18 months has been sub par. You'd have to see drastic improvement from him this year in order to be confident that he'll be around for our next push up the ladder.

Powell is the most creative ball user in the club by both hand and foot, and he has made great progress this year. I'm confident he will be a gun.

If we are in a position in 3/4 years time where Powell is in his prime and he is our 3rd/4th/5th best midfielder then we'll be a seriously good side.

Great thread and shows we're in far better shape than this depressing stage would lead us to believe.
A few things, id like to see McKercher and Goater taking a wing each.
Powell i have confidence will make a very competitive midfielder so slot him there instead of McKercher.
Plus its a reasonable assumption whoever we take with pick 1 or 2 this year will be part of that lineup.
W.Dawson we cant slot in yet, but i like what i see. If he continues his growth trajectory then id be surprised if he doesnt turn out to be an upgraded McKay.

I like your view of things. I could see a 23 rolling out next year that looks something like this:

B: K.Dawson, Comben, Hardeman
HB: Sheezel, Logue, Fisher
C: Goater, Wardlaw, McKercher
HF: Simpkin, Maley, Ford
F: Curtis, Larkey, Dursma
Int: Powell, Smilie, Phillips, Bergman, Scott

Non positional locks:

Simpkin (injury prone)
Sheezel
McKercher

Fair chance that Zurhaar and LDU are gone from your team there.

2026 Core
xxxCombenxxx
GoaterLoguexxx
McKercherWardlawxxx
Duursmaxxxxxx
CurtisLarkeyxxx
XerriSheezelPowell
xxxxxxxxxxxx

What I would like to see (assuming LDU and Zurhaar are gone)
ArcherCombenW/ K. Dawson
GoaterLogueHardeman/ Bergman
ScottWardlawMcKercher
DuursmaxxxFord
CurtisLarkeyxxx
XerriSheezelPowell
2024 N1 Pick2025 N1 Pickxxxxxx

I like your view of things. I could see a 23 rolling out next year that looks something like this:

Looks pretty damn good doesnt it? and so much growth in that team.

The way I interpret this thread, is building the blocks for a team capable of pushing for preliminary finals/premiership. Teams that can do this tend to have about 5 elite AA calibre players and about 15-20 players who consistently perform their role to the required standard.

For elite talent, ideally this would be distributed around the ground. The good news is that within the next three years, it’s likely we are on track for this.

We have
Larkey (already AA but caveat that he is reliant on good ball delivery)
Sheezel (very likely)
LDU (very likely)
Comben (decent chance if he stays uninjured)
Wardlaw (decent chance)
McKercher (decent chance)
Duursma (possible)
I’m confident we could get 5 here.

For the role players, this is really where we fall off. Of the players on the list, these are the ones I’m confident can consistently be at the standard in the coming years
Logue
Curtis
Goater (injury permitting)
Xerri
Names above suggested in AA/elite that don’t reach heights of elite

And the maybe’s
Scott (showed last year he can)
Simpkin (as above)
Powell
Ford (more speculative)
Zurhaar (as above)
Draftees within the last two years all fall into the speculative category.

So we only have 5-10 names here. So we are about 10 players short! Brady and co will be busy!

Looks great, especially the cloning of McKercher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back