The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

234161.jpg

After 20 Test innings, Adam Voges is in elite company © AFP

Cricket's greatest statistic for as long as I have been alive has always been Bradman's Test batting average, both for the poetic beauty of it being so close to a perfect century and its simply beyond comparison gap to the next best. Anyone who has had even a passing interest in cricket will have at some time come across the table headed by Bradman's 99.94 and many will remember that the best of the rest is around 60. That single statistic has led to Sir Donald Bradman being spoken of as the greatest statistical outlier in any sport, at any time, anywhere on earth. Take a moment to think about that and you may start to realise why anyone who loves Test cricket should be deeply disturbed by the Adam Voges situation.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/974943.html

I actually kind of feel a little bit the same as this writer regarding the achievements of Voges. It kind of feels like a statistical achievement rather than recognition of a fine player, indeed, on that average, one of the best of all time! He beat up on the windies and NZ but failed us in England when we needed him most. I'm actually really happy that the selectors rewarded form (for a change) and picked him but he is going to be a strange person to talk about in years to come if his average ends up being 75ish.

I actually kind of feel a little bit the same as this writer regarding the achievements of Voges. It kind of feels like a statistical achievement rather than recognition of a fine player, indeed, on that average, one of the best of all time! He beat up on the windies and NZ but failed us in England when we needed him most. I'm actually really happy that the selectors rewarded form (for a change) and picked him but he is going to be a strange person to talk about in years to come if his average ends up being 75ish.

Thanks for the link to that article. When we regard the greats, we don't always look at the statistics. Otherwise, Trumper would not be so much in our imaginations. My childhood hero was Kenny Barrington, but I would never have classified him as a great, but the statisticians put him up there with the best.

As for Voges, I always considered him a good player who had not reached his potential. Maybe, now he has, Let's wait and see.

interesting article. Gideon Haigh has likewise been scathing on Voges. Performance in the Ashes was very disappointing, but will forever be dirty on that whole side for the pathetic showing in Nottingham. All out in 18 overs ffs in Ashes decider.

The presence of the tournament on Australia's anti-siphoning list, which prioritises free-to-air coverage of major events, has been of no consequence, because those rules don't compel commercial broadcasters to buy the rights.

Rather than Australian networks not being interested in cricket, which attracted bumper ratings this summer for both international matches and the Big Bash League, it is believed the main stumbling block is the price being sought by the host broadcaster, India TV giant Star Sports.

It is believed New Zealand, where Australia is currently touring, is also facing a blackout due to an impasse in negotiations.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...-as-networks-shun-rights-20160224-gn2368.html
So the T20 World Cup is not going to be broadcast on any channel - not even Fox - due to high cost of rights....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, I know we've gone in with two under-done bowlers and a number 6 who couldn't score in a brothel, but we still let that game drift badly. Very little intensity and fight, and Smith looked like he was out of ideas and just let the game drift.

I thought Marsh batted quite precisely. Liked the way he concentrated and left the ball too.

The non-bowling of Lyon was quite puzzling.

Reckon Nick Maddision or Henriques might replace Mitch Marsh before too much longer. I'm a huge fan of Mitch - reckon he has all the talent, but think his elevation and subseuent persistence isn't helping him. Needs to go back, play a heap of cricket, score runs and work s**t out himself. I still believe he could bat at six in tests - has the talent - but simply isn't ready and will further de-evolve if left in the test side.

About time too! Everything in the last ten years has helped batsmen: broad bats, short boundaries, flat wickets (except in sub-continent).
There is no way known you can be certain that is hitting the stumps. Pitch outside off from left arm bowler, hit in line with 3m to travel. Can't see how it hits. Hawkeye doesn't have mm precision. It is dependent on human input too.

We certainly let the game drift badly. Yes we have 2 underdone bowlers but we had them on the ropes in the first innings at 4-52, they should never have reached 200 and as for our batting collapse, it has become a trend. I don't know what it is ie, lack of concentration, technique etc.
s**t batsman. Look how most of them get out.

They're just not very good. Marsh is so-so, I've still got hope for Khawaja, but 5-8 is a complete cluster* of a batting lineup. Voges-Marsh the lesser-Nevill-Starc blah.

They're just not very good. Marsh is so-so, I've still got hope for Khawaja, but 5-8 is a complete cluster**** of a batting lineup. Voges-Marsh the lesser-Nevill-Starc blah.

I prefer Marsh to Joe Burns. Burns has a terrible habit of jus hanging his bat outside off, no foot movement and doing that little half-wave thing.

There's a kid who got a NSW contract this year, Jason Sangha, youngest player yet at only 16.

Word on him is immense. Been playing senior cricket since he as 14.

We'll just have to wait a few, fingers crossed, years for him to come through!

Marsh is a better batsmen but not at number six.

I think the short form of the game has contributed to our downfall and maybe the death of test Cricket in this country. As a young lad i would watch Test cricket on the screen all day, the Chappell brothers, Kim Hughes, Lillee etc. I doubt if the current generation have the patience to watch let alone concentrate in a Test match for hours.

No6 needs to be a batsman first. Marsh isn't up to it currently. 4 bowlers plus a some overs from Smith/Voges/Warner should see us through. That 5th bowler needs to be viewed as a holding pattern with potential for a cheap wicket or two until we have a viable option. Neville clearly the best keeper in the country and good for 20-40 runs,..... should not have pressure applied to his spot. Need to give some batting depth. I'm a huge Maddinson fan... get him in there!!

No6 needs to be a batsman first. Marsh isn't up to it currently. 4 bowlers plus a some overs from Smith/Voges/Warner should see us through. That 5th bowler needs to be viewed as a holding pattern with potential for a cheap wicket or two until we have a viable option. Neville clearly the best keeper in the country and good for 20-40 runs,..... should not have pressure applied to his spot. Need to give some batting depth. I'm a huge Maddinson fan... get him in there!!
I'm a huge Maddison fan also. But I'm a fan of burns and Chris Lynn too. Basically anyone but marsh who has never earned his spot via performances at state level and clearly has concentration issues at the crease.

Edit: I think the selectors really need make so many selection errors. How do you select peter Siddle when he is under done? He is only dangerous when he can bowl over 135 and to do that he needs to be fit. Fair enough picking Starc but you might as well pick one of several younger, fitter bowlers and don't worry about their batting!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back