The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily advocating SMarsh is the answer, but I would be far more comfortable relying on him to stick around in tough times than Maxwell. As a team, we have struggled for consistency and reasonable players are never given much of a go. I see Joe Burns just got 81 & 103. Does that warrant a recall? Not a Maxwell fan in test cricket. Unreliable batsman, bog average bowler. Stick him in T20 where his reverse sweeps can impress the knickers of some people.

How many has Marsh got? no tons this year, a pair of 50s, and a 91 isn't it? now a test 50. still no tons
Maxwell has a pair of 60s, and now 278!!!
the bowling/fielding is a added benefit.
Maxwell incredibly stiff not to get a game, esp as he played some vital innings in the leadup to the test, however Marsh's 50 was a crucial innings that setup our win. We were in seriously deep s**t there for a bit. Hence you think he'll play in Perth even if he fails in Adelaide.

Marsh is s**t but when we are debating his merit against maxwell’s then you can only wonder as to where all the decent middle order batsman have gone!

Maxwell has the talent to play test cricket but lacks the temperament. Temperament is why renshaw was picked and why Bancroft looks the part at rest level. It’s why, despite all his talent, Watson struggled in test cricket.

Got to tip my hat to Smarsh. A great series and showed real grit. Must realise it’s now or never. Also impressed at the work Mitch marsh has done to make himself a test quality batsman. SA will be a big test as their bowlers are a lot better. Could be an ideal number 6. Just got to hope Bancroft works on his issues as he could be a very good opener at test level.

Just when I was starting to feel sorry for the Aussie cricket team because of all the bullying by those nasty Searth Efricans (who are still obnoxious, by the way), we see that the Aussies are guilty of ball tampering and whingeing about being bullied. Time to give up on cricket. Warner and Smith can GAGF and Bancroft, well, he is just stupid. Embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow cricket anymore but Smith saying you can trust him and he won't try and cheat again so he should stay captain because you can trust him and he's not a cheater seems a little *

Smith should do the honourable thing and resign. Warner should also resign. Lehmann should go as well.

Smith admitted to premeditated cheating. And if Lehmann knew nothing about it as Smith claims then he should go for failing to know and failing to stop Smith from going down this path.

Cricket Australia prides itself on upholding the ethics of cricket but it went missing over Warne and Waugh. If Sutherland has any guts he will be fronting the media today to inform them that he expects the resignations of all three by the end of the Test otherwise they will be sacked before the start of the next.

So Smith has stepped down immediately - mid test. Off the field and replaced by 12th man.

Hope neither he nor Warner nor Bancroft bat in the second innings. All can disappear into the sunset along with Lehman and Sutherland.

Get Clarke back to captain the side (even though he is a w***er). Try and finish the tour with some self-respect.

Growing up I had only two passions - cricket and footy. I would religiously sit down and watch the Test matches on TV (before we got a TV I would be glued to the wireless - radio for the young blokes - with my own score sheet). Loved the tests and also the Sheffield Shield matches when they were televised.

My whole life I simply loved the cricket. Then ODIs arrived. Loved them a little less but embraced them as they were another game to watch. Now there is T20. Don't like. Never will. Just slogging with no finesse.

Never liked the sledging part as it seemed to be opposite the the 'gentleman's game' philosophy, and always felt a little uneasy when it was reported that the Aussies were pretty big on it. When other teams were caught cheating, particularly ball tampering, I got a little worked up - Effin' cheats.

Now it's us. It is really hard to swallow. I want the perpetrators to get severely punished and would prefer they never played for Australia again.

But the way the whole game is managed these days with the ICC and the power of the Indians, I am really losing interest in the game - fast.

This incident is simply accelerating the disinterest.

Massively disappointed.

Last edited:
Test Cricket doesn't need this. The coffin is basically awaiting it's lowering into the grave.

Money, being the root of all evil, has well and truly put paid to any hope of fair play and sportsmanship on the cricket field at an international level. This 'win at all costs' attitude has gone too far, and sad to say it's time for the perpetrators to be removed from the game entirely. An example has to be set immediately. I'm pretty certain a player at local club level would be shown the door if he pulled that kind of stupid prank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back