The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this burn. Well done Dymocks

29512683_1868760063136628_4271437975345342113_n.jpg

Growing up I had only two passions - cricket and footy. I would religiously sit down and watch the Test matches on TV (before we got a TV I would be glued to the wireless - radio for the young blokes - with my own score sheet). Loved the tests and also the Sheffield Shield matches when they were televised.

My whole life I simply loved the cricket. Then ODIs arrived. Loved them a little less but embraced them as they were another game to watch. Now there is T20. Don't like. Never will. Just slogging with no finesse.

Never liked the sledging part as it seemed to be opposite the the 'gentleman's game' philosophy, and always felt a little uneasy when it was reported that the Aussies were pretty big on it. When other teams were caught cheating, particularly ball tampering, I got a little worked up - Effin' cheats.

Now it's us. It is really hard to swallow. I want the perpetrators to get severely punished and would prefer they never played for Australia again.

But the way the whole game is managed these days with the ICC and the power of the Indians, I am really losing interest in the game - fast.

This incident is simply accelerating the disinterest.

Massively disappointed.
This is pretty much my story as well, but I've gone through it already.

I think between the JAMODIs (Just Another Meaningless One Day Internationals), and the fact that too many Australian players just seemed like assholes (from the Steve Waugh years onwards), I found I couldn't care about them like I did when I was younger.

Stuff 'em...

Amazing how many people are sick of the Australian cricket team / players.
I'm one of them and plenty of others where I work.
I grew up loving the game and watched and listend to most test matches.
I got overloaded with cricket years ago, when we went from one series after another from different countries (so i got sick of it). Then we have to put up with wa×nkers like Johnson and the team stating they were going to get in the opositions face and all that rubbish. They must have thought cricket was like boxing or mma (except they knew they wern't going to get a smack in the head).
Sorry just rambling now. w***ers, especially warner.

Not to compare it with something that is an actual tragedy, but I'm hoping the fallout from the ball tampering will lead to some actual soul searching and action and not just lip service and excuses, in the same way that the shooting in Florida has actually moved the public and politicians in the USA...

"Mental disintegration", "the line", the way the Australian team goes about its business onfield...all things that need to be addressed, defined or destroyed. In my mind, cricket chat should be exclusive of the opposition, and not much more than "yeah", "baaallll", and s**t like that, with wisecracks from the keeper and instructions from the captain. Everyone else should stfu, with the exception of the bowlers, who get to vent as hard as they like (not Rabada level, but they do need a bit of leeway!). The story of Matt Hayden approaching Justin Ontong on his test debut out in the centre before he'd ever faced a ball, and starting a "f### off, you're not good enough to be here" rant that lasted all they way through his debut innings from second slip, is disgusting. I sent off a few of my own players in a high school match for sledging - teachers acting as umpires can do that - and after we still won the game with 8 players in the field (because the opposition weren't that good and not really worthy of the sledge in the first place!), gave them a savage blast at the end for being little c###s who don't respect MY game. Thing is, they know what they're seeing on tv, and copied it to the letter...

So as much as I like the wins column and good cricket played under Darren Lehmann, those involved can f### off for a bit. The new team can play the next series, which I think is against India next summer, and show the Australian public that they can play the game without needing to ask for a new old ball, talk to Virat Kohli only during breaks and with a smile (if they can do that all summer, you'd think they would have earned complete redemption!), and maybe win games in a manner that get us all yelling "f### yeah" again. Look good against India and let them be the surly aggressors if it gets to that - it's not beyond them, but maybe not needing to arc up against Australia might sort them out a bit too, and if not, put back on them the exposure they've managed to duck over time. Meanwhile the banned players can publicly support the side, cop it on the chin as they've done so far, come back in on merit, and the dogs in the public and media who've taken it too far in blasting their characters can shut up...

No more dickheads.

Amazing how many people are sick of the Australian cricket team / players.
I'm one of them and plenty of others where I work.
I grew up loving the game and watched and listend to most test matches.
I got overloaded with cricket years ago, when we went from one series after another from different countries (so i got sick of it). Then we have to put up with wa×nkers like Johnson and the team stating they were going to get in the opositions face and all that rubbish. They must have thought cricket was like boxing or mma (except they knew they wern't going to get a smack in the head).
Sorry just rambling now. w***ers, especially warner.

I just find it amusing that people are so offended by cricketers who carry on like that, and are yet so accepting of the fact footballers do it all the time.

I just find it amusing that people are so offended by cricketers who carry on like that, and are yet so accepting of the fact footballers do it all the time.
Not necessarily, and there is also the difference in the nature of the games. Remember, one of the gripes other countries have with the Aus cricket team is that the boundaries of "the line" are dictated by us, so cultural differences come into play - not such a big issue when it's AFL Aussie v Aussie. Cricket is not a physical game with push and shove either, so while a young player on our side jostling a more experienced opponent right back might bring a smile to our faces, the sight of Rabada slightly bumping Smith after his dismissal gets an outcry (it wasn't much, but again, it's cricket)...

I remember Barry Hall going off his nut at Zac Dawson when the Dogs played St Kilda in the preseason GF nearly a decade ago, just in his face constantly, looking like he was about to kill him...my wife hates BH because of it, and I gotta admit, I far prefer a Dunstall-like deadpan expression all day, where you never saw that guy get aggro on his way to ten goals. And then the game ends and Hall turns around, shakes hands and they both say "cheers mate, see ya...!". It's just not the same thing as cricket...see that happen and both players would be suspended for sure, but the expectations are a polar opposite to footy...

Off field, footy is as tame as it gets. All I ever see these days are players "taking it one game at a time" labelling their opposition as "great teams we respect" and "champions" who they can always "expect a tough game" against. Haven't heard a good diss in years...

OK, after swearing off cricket following the SA fiasco, I weakened and checked the score on the 1st ODI v Poms. One third of the way throuigh Aus innings. Ordinary. Scanned the team list. Have a couple of regulars in FInch and Marsh, a hit and miss Maxwell, and a bunch of nobodies. If they win this from here, I will walk down Bourke street naked (next time I am there).

May have got close on the scoreboard but the bowlers never looked like they would take a wicket. Didn't see the first two, but after that it was a case of when the batsman would toss his wicket away, rather than how to take a wicket. Richardson just bowled s**t all day (night), as did Agar and Maxwell. The other just ordinary. These guys might do the trick in T20 but need to be a bit better when batsmen are not looking for a 6 off every ball.

After Bairstow, Morgan and Root set them up, the Poms were always 50 balls ahead of the equation. In the end, even the tailenders could afford to wait for a single. The win was inevitable. Scoreboard was flattering for the Aussies.

In what universe are those Aussie bowlers good enough to play 50-over cricket? FFS, Poms have just posted the highest ever ODI total and still have five overs to go.

Trying to rebuild the side after the SA fiasco was always going to be hard, but it is like playing Box Hill players in the GF against Richmond. Maybe too many injuries to the better bowlers, but, geez, this is hard to watch.

In what universe are those Aussie bowlers good enough to play 50-over cricket? FFS, Poms have just posted the highest ever ODI total and still have five overs to go.

Trying to rebuild the side after the SA fiasco was always going to be hard, but it is like playing Box Hill players in the GF against Richmond. Maybe too many injuries to the better bowlers, but, geez, this is hard to watch.

They whole team had a shocker. We could not even bat out the full 50overs.

Tye has gone for 181 runs off his last 18 overs. The two Richardsons just bowl s**t. Agar is very average (but at least can bat a bit). Stanlake may improve. Stoinis needs to be more consistent.

We seem to have picked a side from Big Bash and believed it would all work out. These guys bowl to take wickets off mistakes generated by the need to hix a six off every ball. 50-over cricket is not like that. There was not one bowler in that side who could bowl tightly and put the brakes on.

The whole attack is just absolute rubbish. Has been for all three games. Batting is just as bad (except for Marsh).

Selectors need to sit down and study the game.

Finch is a T20 player and should ALWAYS be opening. Marsh is the only one who I consider good enough to be playing.

Poor selection and poor captaincy. Along with piss poor application and endeavour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna be a long hot summer for cricket fans - is there are any left.

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be any decent batsmen left in the country. This ODI team is like St Kilda thirds.
'
Time to fast-track a few residency visas for a few South Africans.

Gonna be a long hot summer for cricket fans - is there are any left.

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be any decent batsmen left in the country. This ODI team is like St Kilda thirds.
'
Time to fast-track a few residency visas for a few South Africans.

I watched the St Kilda thirds play this weekend. They're actually a decent side. Got a very decent pace attack and a good leggie.

On another note, Shaun Marsh missing with a "buttock abscess" says it all really.

You mean Mitch?

No, Shaun. Mitch's recent batting could be described as like a buttock abscess, but Shaun has the physical ailment that is keeping out of this game.

I watched the St Kilda thirds play this weekend. They're actually a decent side. Got a very decent pace attack and a good leggie.

On another note, Shaun Marsh missing with a "buttock abscess" says it all really.
Just my luck to pluck a random lower grade side that actually turned out to be reasonably good. :(

There is no easy way to express tonights defeat. Totally outclassed. Reminded me of the 84-85 series, but that side was cricket royalty. SA is a good team. We were embarrassingly poor.

Yeah, I agree. Batting line-up looks so so thin.

Lynn, Maxwell and Short in the top six in an international game is not ideal. We lack a class batsman, We don;t have anyone (at least on the park) in the league of Q or Markram.

We're short on experience and class. And looking around state cricket, it's hard to see who's stepping up in terms of young talent. Petrovoski from Victoria is a rare talent, but sadly, needs to take a break from the game. Jack Edwards ffrom NSW looks good, but I'm unsure how he'll translate to the longer game. I like the look of Sangha. But again, these are kids. Petrovoski is the pick of them in my opinion.

Our batting was thin with Smith and Warner in the lineup , take them out and today’s performance against quality bowling is no surprise .
We have a some good prospects but they are mostly way too young or inexperienced to throw to the wolves at this stage.
We have a tough few years ahead on the batting front.

Just my luck to pluck a random lower grade side that actually turned out to be reasonably good. :(
Believe it or not you get some pretty decent players in premier 3rds .
Your stiff you picked one of the traditionally stronger clubs too !

Believe it or not you get some pretty decent players in premier 3rds .
Your stiff you picked one of the traditionally stronger clubs too !

Yes, some very good players that I saw. That all important mix of older experienced players, young tyros and solid citizens.

Richmond has a bunch of very good young players coming through too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back