The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm amused by the comment that it was genius to put the cricket behind a Foxtel Paywall. And judging by the ratings, many Australians have embraced the quarantine.

Yes, some very good players that I saw. That all important mix of older experienced players, young tyros and solid citizens.

Richmond has a bunch of very good young players coming through too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those experienced guys are worth their weight of gold aren’t they
I used to make sure I would sit near them and just soak any info in .
Probably used to really annoy them !

Old Davie warners ripped out the heart of CA better than war ie or McGrath could ever do to a test side in their prime.
Since that decision:
Captain, vice captain, chairman, high performance manager, 2x board members, ceo all gone.
Solid effort

Not to mention completely destroyed the side by confusing the * out of all and sundry in terms of how they are meant to play.

Impressive really

I'm amused by the comment that it was genius to put the cricket behind a Foxtel Paywall. And judging by the ratings, many Australians have embraced the quarantine.

Couldn't have picked a worse year to do it.
Struggling side, teams on the nose generally, controversy surrounding CA as a whole.
And only those who pay can watch!

Couldn't have picked a worse year to do it.
Struggling side, teams on the nose generally, controversy surrounding CA as a whole.
And only those who pay can watch!

Foxtel is just so outrageously expensive....

Some massive greed and hubris at play. The Paywall experiment in the UK (recent times, I believe) had a negative impact on the game. Agree with you: could not have come at worse time in terms of their brand, future commercial prospects and just the all-important public goodwill.

If the media reports are true, then the commercial manager Ben, who used to be at Austereo in a kind of omnipotent role, was walked today. Reckon the new CEO has tried to build a wall around this one fast.

Growing up I had only two passions - cricket and footy. I would religiously sit down and watch the Test matches on TV (before we got a TV I would be glued to the wireless - radio for the young blokes - with my own score sheet). Loved the tests and also the Sheffield Shield matches when they were televised.

My whole life I simply loved the cricket. Then ODIs arrived. Loved them a little less but embraced them as they were another game to watch. Now there is T20. Don't like. Never will. Just slogging with no finesse.

Never liked the sledging part as it seemed to be opposite the the 'gentleman's game' philosophy, and always felt a little uneasy when it was reported that the Aussies were pretty big on it. When other teams were caught cheating, particularly ball tampering, I got a little worked up - Effin' cheats.

Now it's us. It is really hard to swallow. I want the perpetrators to get severely punished and would prefer they never played for Australia again.

But the way the whole game is managed these days with the ICC and the power of the Indians, I am really losing interest in the game - fast.

This incident is simply accelerating the disinterest.

Massively disappointed.

I nodded all the way through, I can identify with this. I feel the same way about footy as well. I tend to watch now because habits of a lifetime die hard, not out of enjoyment. All my life I looked forward to retirement so I could watch as much cricket and football as possible, but now I'm here, I watch less and less every year.

I loved listening to the 1968 and 1972 Ashes series, as well as our 1970 tour of South Africa at night on radio. Even though the Saffies belted us 4-0, I eagerly filled in the scorecards at the back of my ABC cricket book and imagined the state of play, which was easy when Alan McGilvray was commentating. Couldn't do it these days. Alan was pompous but his ability to paint a picture was second to nobody. It beat the hell out of Warnie telling us about the greasy pizza he had the night before.

IMHO, these days we are left wanting nothing, it's all served up to us ad infinitum until we become tedious of it. An international cricket match was rare, and we would savour it. Now, you miss an ODI, or a T20, who cares? You'd only forget about it the next day anyway. Same with footy. To see a football match live and direct on TV was a rare treat. It was a weekend game. Now we get all 9 matches every weekend thrown at us, as well as the surfeit of monotonous panel shows all week long talking crap.

The last comment about the power of the Indians is interesting. I just get that feeling that whilst the Australians will be sucking up to everyone this summer and being on their very best behaviour, Kohli will be at his obnoxious best, baiting and winding us up like you wouldn't believe, knowing full well the Aussies can't respond .... and nothing will be said about it.

At least the Mitchell Marsh mystery was revealed today. Mitch made 151 this weekend, will play in the Tests this summer, and I hope he does well, just as I hope all Australians perform to their best. However, it must be said it has been rather head scratching at times trying to justify his selection.

Two separate stories were released today that, when juxtaposed, explains the whole scenario. First, I heard that Pat Howard would present lists of players to the selectors telling them the side was to be selected from players only who were on his list. So, in effect, Howard was actually selecting the teams. Then I heard an interview with Mitchell Marsh saying how disappointed Howard was leaving because of the amount of assistance he was given by Howard. Same old story .... playing favourites.

Does anyone else here just roll their eyes when they talk about the difficulty modern players have switching between game types? I mean seriously, your a ****en professional, surely you know what you have to do in each different format!

I agree to a degree. You'd like to think players have the ability to play to whatever standard is required, But I do think the T20 game encourages a "see-ball-hit-ball" mentality, and with the plethora of this style of game being played, it has engendered an almost robotic approach to batting that "appears" too be difficult to rectify when placed in a different environment.

At least the Mitchell Marsh mystery was revealed today. Mitch made 151 this weekend, will play in the Tests this summer, and I hope he does well, just as I hope all Australians perform to their best. However, it must be said it has been rather head scratching at times trying to justify his selection.

Two separate stories were released today that, when juxtaposed, explains the whole scenario. First, I heard that Pat Howard would present lists of players to the selectors telling them the side was to be selected from players only who were on his list. So, in effect, Howard was actually selecting the teams. Then I heard an interview with Mitchell Marsh saying how disappointed Howard was leaving because of the amount of assistance he was given by Howard. Same old story .... playing favourites.
A lot of stuff is coming out now that just confirms how broken CA was/is .
I know a lot of people within state cricket have been pretty damning on CA for a long while now and aren’t too disappointed to the blood shed going on now.

That is a ridiculous selection process but in some ways explains some of the bizarre selections we have made.

I agree to a degree. You'd like to think players have the ability to play to whatever standard is required, But I do think the T20 game encourages a "see-ball-hit-ball" mentality, and with the plethora of this style of game being played, it has engendered an almost robotic approach to batting that "appears" too be difficult to rectify when placed in a different environment.
Yeah, I think T20 screws with the players heads a bit. What I hope is that players don't get picked for I50 or test based on T20 form. Never translates well. Warner took ages to adjust, and so did Finch. Lynne settled in yesterday, then played T20 for an over and got out. Head and Short are struggling. Guys like Neser, Richardson, Tye have no business playing test cricket at all.

Yeah, I think T20 screws with the players heads a bit. What I hope is that players don't get picked for I50 or test based on T20 form. Never translates well. Warner took ages to adjust, and so did Finch. Lynne settled in yesterday, then played T20 for an over and got out. Head and Short are struggling. Guys like Neser, Richardson, Tye have no business playing test cricket at all.

I have no idea why Head is opening. Surely he is much better value batting later in the innings. If they want to open someone, Carey would be a much better choice.

Lynn’s dismissal yesterday really sums up batting mentality for most batters at the minute .
Laces 20 off 5 balls and goes for glory again ball 6 , rather than playing it on merit and being happy to play a dot if required
Great bowling by Rabada though , brave and clever to throw a quicker higher bouncer in knowing Lynn would be able to resist .

See a lot of nice cameos for 20-40 these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynn’s dismissal yesterday really sums up batting mentality for most batters at the minute .
Laces 20 off 5 balls and goes for glory again ball 6 , rather than playing it on merit and being happy to play a dot if required
Great bowling by Rabada though , brave and clever to throw a quicker higher bouncer in knowing Lynn would be able to resist .

See a lot of nice cameos for 20-40 these days
These guys need to go and bat a full day in blistering heat, score less than 100, walk off to square leg about 3PM, vomit, then continue on till stumps. Then dig in again the next day. Sadly, there are no Deanos around these days. Nor are there really classy batsmen like Mark Waugh, Graeme Yallop, Greg Chappell, David Gower (although not ours). Those guys were beautiful stroke makers.

I have no idea why Head is opening. Surely he is much better value batting later in the innings. If they want to open someone, Carey would be a much better choice.

Same. I'd open with finch and short. Finch can build an innings, short is a superb hitter. Head at 3, a guy who can look to bat for the innings, stoinis, Carey, then maxwell, Lynn, to finish off the innings.

Having Short, Head, Maxwell and Lynn in together is a liability. Need someone with a bit of a feel fore the longer game. SHaun MArsh is one but gee he is hot and cold. Khawaja needs to be there. Really miss Smith and Warner - but I am not suggesting we should push for an early return, in fact I would prefer Warner never plays again.

These guys need to go and bat a full day in blistering heat, score less than 100, walk off to square leg about 3PM, vomit, then continue on till stumps. Then dig in again the next day. Sadly, there are no Deanos around these days. Nor are there really classy batsmen like Mark Waugh, Graeme Yallop, Greg Chappell, David Gower (although not ours). Those guys were beautiful stroke makers.
We’ve tried to replicate England’s game plan of stacking your lineup with shot makers and hitters .
Hope two of them come off and you normally make a defendable score if you have a half decent bowling attack .

Fair to say it hasn’t worked ......

I just watched a one day game between two unnamed local clubs. I watched a number 3 take 35 overs to hit 12. The captain didn;t pull him, the coach didn't pull him. While the batsman was a junior playing mens, it was absolutely shocking cricket.

I just watched a one day game between two unnamed local clubs. I watched a number 3 take 35 overs to hit 12. The captain didn;t pull him, the coach didn't pull him. While the batsman was a junior playing mens, it was absolutely shocking cricket.
Certainly for a one day game, you would expect the batsman to hit out a little. At the moment, we, as a national team, are lamenting players with the temperament to hang around for the right ball rather than adopt a T20 attitude and try to put every ball over the fence. The current 50-over side is missing solid players and the test side is pitiful. The junior you speak of was at least valuing his wicket and showing a bit of guts, albeit the wrong arena to do it in. He will learn, though.

If you look at the merry-go-round that has been the Aus test side since the departure of Punter, we have simply failed to select solid players. Warner and Smith held the side together and the rest were very, very ordinary. I think Khawaja has turned the corner and should be a shoe-in for tests, if not I50 when fit. Beyond that I keep getting donuts.

Ouch that’s painful . Hopefully the coach or captain can give him some feedback and direction and he will learn.

Seems to be a common issue with kids playing seniors , can’t hit the boundary and don’t know how to rotate strike and work the ball around .

Ouch that’s painful . Hopefully the coach or captain can give him some feedback and direction and he will learn.

Seems to be a common issue with kids playing seniors , can’t hit the boundary and don’t know how to rotate strike and work the ball around .

It wasn't good. I'm all for juniors playing mens, but that isn't constructive cricket for anyone.

It wasn't good. I'm all for juniors playing mens, but that isn't constructive cricket for anyone.
Was it higher level local ? No good for the kids confidence either I would have thought
And frustrating for the rest of the team watching

Was it higher level local ? No good for the kids confidence either I would have thought
And frustrating for the rest of the team watching

Yes. Turf too. Just bad cricket and development all round, I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back