The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Lynn is the most overrated cricketer.

Travis Head batted poorly then too.
First 3 dismissals were terrible

As entertaining as Lynn can be if you like slogging/hitting he looks like he can get out at anytime

Shaun Marsh 100, it only serves to make me even more frustrated with him.
I understand, but it just goes to show what a bit of application will do. Took him a while to get going, seeing us through the pressure period. These T20 converts need to learn that slogging is not the answer to the longer form.

I just watched a one day game between two unnamed local clubs. I watched a number 3 take 35 overs to hit 12. The captain didn;t pull him, the coach didn't pull him. While the batsman was a junior playing mens, it was absolutely shocking cricket.

Did he have a bat that was too big for him perhaps? When I was still playing, we had a talented youngster batting 3 for us. He had a state of the art Jumbo bat and found it difficult to handle. His father bought it for him and said "he'll grow into it". Problem was, he was able to stay at the crease for long periods of time, had a good forward and backward defence, but found it hard to play strokes. I suggested the lad to put his bat in the cupboard and use a lighter club issue bat, and he began making 50s ... and enjoying himself more.

Did he have a bat that was too big for him perhaps? When I was still playing, we had a talented youngster batting 3 for us. He had a state of the art Jumbo bat and found it difficult to handle. His father bought it for him and said "he'll grow into it". Problem was, he was able to stay at the crease for long periods of time, had a good forward and backward defence, but found it hard to play strokes. I suggested the lad to put his bat in the cupboard and use a lighter club issue bat, and he began making 50s ... and enjoying himself more.

Nope. He just couldn't hit off the square and has a mindset of not going out drilled into him.

Door opens wide open up for Marcus Harris if he can get a few .
Renshaw out for 20 v NSW

Renshaw out for 20 v NSW

They can't seriously consider Renshaw. His 6 shield innings so far: 3, 0, 89, 21, 21, 6. That's 140 runs @ 23.33. Harris has made 250* but apart from that 120 runs @ 30. Funnily enough, the only other openers really putting his hand up is Tassie's Doolan who has made 444 runs @ 55.50 including a century and 4 50s, and NSW's Hughes with 321 @ 45.86.

Not sure they'll go for any of them, certainly if Khawaja's fit to play.

Renshaw out for 20 v NSW

I rate Renshaw. I also think they dropped him at the wrong time when they should have persevered.

They can't seriously consider Renshaw. His 6 shield innings so far: 3, 0, 89, 21, 21, 6. That's 140 runs @ 23.33. Harris has made 250* but apart from that 120 runs @ 30. Funnily enough, the only other openers really putting his hand up is Tassie's Doolan who has made 444 runs @ 55.50 including a century and 4 50s, and NSW's Hughes with 321 @ 45.86.

Not sure they'll go for any of them, certainly if Khawaja's fit to play.
Certainly can’t argue with those stats

Consistency of form and performance at this stage should see Harris in and he converts this 50 to a 100

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Renshaw. I also think they dropped him at the wrong time when they should have persevered.
Totally agree with you

I think he is potential 10-12 year opener for us and really is the exact type of bat we need currently
I get the feeling he may be one of those guys who is a better performer at the higher level

Unfortunately he has had two big chances to break back in and hasn’t fired a shot in either opportunity
I think a workmanlike 50-60 was enough this game to have seen him in

Totally agree with you

I think he is potential 10-12 year opener for us and really is the exact type of bat we need currently
I get the feeling he may be one of those guys who is a better performer at the higher level

Unfortunately he has had two big chances to break back in and hasn’t fired a shot in either opportunity
I think a workmanlike 50-60 was enough this game to have seen him in

Fully concur with you on him being a guy who shows his best playing up. I like his patience and the way he leaves the ball, then builds into an innings. He has exceptional judgement outside off stump.

A guy I rate, who used to play first class cricket, reckons he's playing with a mindset of trying not to go out. Says he's so intent on protecting his wicket he's clouded by the way he plays. He maintains the best players are neveer scared to go out.

Fully concur with you on him being a guy who shows his best playing up. I like his patience and the way he leaves the ball, then builds into an innings. He has exceptional judgement outside off stump.

A guy I rate, who used to play first class cricket, reckons he's playing with a mindset of trying not to go out. Says he's so intent on protecting his wicket he's clouded by the way he plays. He maintains the best players are neveer scared to go out.
Certainly looks that way doesn't it . He actually has a decent range of shots when he gets in but it looks like he is a bit out of balance. Also dont know what the selectors are telling bar 'make runs' .

I had heard last season he had got a bit lippy out on the field , so a reality check or two might be good long term for him

I suppose the test squad looks reasonable given our dearth of batting talent.

Not sure how Mitch Marsh gets a gig. Has done SFA in recent times. I'm OK with Siddle but wouldn't think Tremain is a realistic chance of playing.

I can respect Handscombe, but I just can't see how his technique will hold up, for any length of time, at test level.

Mitch Marsh is frustrating, no doubt. I liked what I saw early in his career and could see him beocming a very good test player if he worked hard, things worked out and he had a bit of luck. Hope it starts happening for him.

I can respect Handscombe, but I just can't see how his technique will hold up, for any length of time, at test level.
I think his rep as the best player of spin in Australia helped him with some decent form . But India actually have a decent pace attack , so his technique is again a concern at test level

I suppose the test squad looks reasonable given our dearth of batting talent.

Not sure how Mitch Marsh gets a gig. Has done SFA in recent times. I'm OK with Siddle but wouldn't think Tremain is a realistic chance of playing.
People are throwing up different batting line ups / orders but at the end of the day we have what we have . IMO they have in general picked in form performing players .

Gone are the days of 3-4 guys averaging 50 at state level waiting in the wings .

Just watching Kohli play last night, and even though it was smash & bat format, his sheer artistry and skill shone through. His precision and ability to work that field around his amazing.

Just watching Kohli play last night, and even though it was smash & bat format, his sheer artistry and skill shone through. His precision and ability to work that field around his amazing.
Brilliant to watch . No moving around the crease every ball trying to play trick shots . Pure batting at its best.
I think we will be watching a lot of him this summer at the crease

So we are nearly week away from the first ball of the first test . What are people’s thoughts on the series . For mine :

- India win 2-1
- our bowling will win us one test but their even batting will overwhelm us
- if we produce ‘roads’ it will be even more one sided
- Kohli will make 3 100s including one ‘large’ innings
- Marsh (Shaun) will be our best bat
- Cummins our best bowler
- Left field surprise . Stoinis to be selected for 3rd test and cement a test spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back