The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Even after Khawaja's latest ODI century I am still of the opinion he should be permanently dropped from the test side. Both he and Finch are far too inconsistent. As is Marsh.

Mind you, I said the same about Warner a couple of years ago, so what do I know?

I guess it has something to do with today's game and expectations. GO back a few decades and look at the records of guys like Norm O'Niell, Peter Burge, Neil Harvey, Ian Redpath, Bob Cowper, Paul Sheahan and several others. All considered great players. All were capable of getting a big score, but all were subject to periods of low scores or form loss. One of my favourite players, Graham Yallop*, was another. The idea of getting 10 consecutive fifties, as we have come to expect these days, was almost non-existent.

*Loved watching the fluid stroke making of Yallop. Mark Waugh and David Gower in the same bracket.

Even after Khawaja's latest ODI century I am still of the opinion he should be permanently dropped from the test side. Both he and Finch are far too inconsistent. As is Marsh.

Mind you, I said the same about Warner a couple of years ago, so what do I know?

I guess it has something to do with today's game and expectations. GO back a few decades and look at the records of guys like Norm O'Niell, Peter Burge, Neil Harvey, Ian Redpath, Bob Cowper, Paul Sheahan and several others. All considered great players. All were capable of getting a big score, but all were subject to periods of low scores or form loss. One of my favourite players, Graham Yallop*, was another. The idea of getting 10 consecutive fifties, as we have come to expect these days, was almost non-existent.

*Loved watching the fluid stroke making of Yallop. Mark Waugh and David Gower in the same bracket.
Both K And W average over 40 so they have that over nearly every other batsman in the country, including both marsh brothers ;)

Been pretty quite here lately

Huge few months coming up . World Cup and the Ashes running back to back in England .
Ashes in England is my favourite test series , been lucky to go to a few games .

Tipping the Aussies to make the semis in the WC but bow out there , while I think home ground will be enough fur England to win 3-1 but with a few tight tests thrown in .

Sounds about right on World Cup.
Reckon Ashes will be 2-2.
Smiths return into our test side will be huge
Huge in and will need a big series for us to be in it.

England’s batting isn’t overly fantastic so if we can exploit them then have Smith/Warner have large series we can win it

Mind you they will be looking at us thinking the same, our batting vs moving/seaming ball doesn’t bring much confidence

Posted this on the main cricket board but ex Australian, NSW player Gavin Robertson is in a pretty bad way

Wasn’t feeling well and they found some brain tumours and had emergency surgery last week ( I believe )

One of the better commentators out there , hope he pulls through

Posted this on the main cricket board but ex Australian, NSW player Gavin Robertson is in a pretty bad way

Wasn’t feeling well and they found some brain tumours and had emergency surgery last week ( I believe )

Yeah, read that. Sad news. All the best to Gav.

Came across a cricket quiz yesterday and thought I might give it a go.
First few questions were a bit odd - what is a wicket? What is a six? A bit easy I thought. Then I come across 'how big is an oval?' Well, I guess that depends on the city you're in, but I guessed right at 137.5m across. Stupid questions, but I pressed on.

Then this - who is the best player of all time? Jumped in on Don Bradman. Got it wrong. Apparently Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest of all time.

Gave up at that point. Waste of time.

First few questions were a bit odd - what is a wicket? What is a six? A bit easy I thought. Then I come across 'how big is an oval?' Well, I guess that depends on the city you're in, but I guessed right at 137.5m across. Stupid questions, but I pressed on.

Then this - who is the best player of all time? Jumped in on Don Bradman. Got it wrong. Apparently Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest of all time.

I never get people arguing against him being the best ever , he is just that far in front of the next if you talking statistics it isn’t funny .

Would be hard enough nearly averaging 100 in backyard cricket yet the best possible level .

Tendulkar is a great but wouldn’t even be 2nd

Pakis with their stock standard capitulation at a big tournament

Windies to be a decent dark horse ? Bowling looked handy , have managed to find a few

That wasn't a quiz. It was a list of questions from someone searching the slightest clue on cricket.

Interesting. Have been watching the odd appearance from Gav on Bill & Boz, and I recall thinking he seemed a little vague at times, like he'd fade in and out of conversations. One time I recall he gave an answer to a question that was never asked. Not sure if that had anything to do with his latest illness, but best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Interesting. Have been watching the odd appearance from Gav on Bill & Boz, and I recall thinking he seemed a little vague at times, like he'd fade in and out of conversations. One time I recall he gave an answer to a question that was never asked. Not sure if that had anything to do with his latest illness, but best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Interesting , my Dad heard him on radio a month or two back and said he sounded a bit off too .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game tonight

India’s bowling was super impressive against the Saffers the other night , they really don’t have a weak link there.
Spinners bowled beautifully.

Finch LBW or bowled Bumrah early ?

Big game tonight

India’s bowling was super impressive against the Saffers the other night , they really don’t have a weak link there.
Spinners bowled beautifully.

Finch LBW or bowled Bumrah early ?

I’m going with LBW.

Gonna be very tough from here...damn near impossible to go at 7 an over against the Indian attack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m going with LBW.

Gonna be very tough from here...damn near impossible to go at 7 an over against the Indian attack.

The bowling attacks were the difference in the game .
Bumrah and Kumar were brilliant in the first 7-8 overs , strangled us and it was all uphill from there .

India’s attack looked far more dangerous. Bowled a better length and gave almost no opportunities in the first half of the innings (which was as much as I saw).

I know everyone loves to hate Kohli, but this was first class from him:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...ls-for-end-to-smith-boos-20190608-p51vvq.html

He’s an outstanding captain nowadays. The way he works with Dhoni to ensure the field is set shows great maturity...not something I’d associated with Kohli previously.

India’s attack looked far more dangerous. Bowled a better length and gave almost no opportunities in the first half of the innings (which was as much as I saw).

I know everyone loves to hate Kohli, but this was first class from him:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...ls-for-end-to-smith-boos-20190608-p51vvq.html

He’s an outstanding captain nowadays. The way he works with Dhoni to ensure the field is set shows great maturity...not something I’d associated with Kohli previously.

I think playing them on their merits like last night isn’t going to work unless they have a really off day.
Think teams need to risk being 3/30 against them to be 0/60 off 7 or 8.
Take them on and not let them dictate .

Mitch Marsh added to squad , Stoinis with a side strain

At leas we have a genuine scape goat to blame now

So Kohli walks, even though the umps didn’t give any indication they were interested, and it turns out he wasn’t out.

Incredible sportsmanship to walk in a game against Pakistan....but will he do it again now?

Gilly copped it for walking when he WAS out- imagine if one of those turned out to be wrong!

So Kohli walks, even though the umps didn’t give any indication they were interested, and it turns out he wasn’t out.

Incredible sportsmanship to walk in a game against Pakistan....but will he do it again now?

Gilly copped it for walking when he WAS out- imagine if one of those turned out to be wrong!

Was bizarre wasn’t it ? Always wonder if people would walk if it was a final ?

Good to see a traditional English deck here , plenty of nibble early .
Good start by the Aussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back