Universal Love The crowd is back! (and how good was the 2009 final?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah magical night. Everything we touched turned to goal. Was sitting at the end where all those goals were kicked. Was directly behind Daniel Rich as his kick sailed through for a goal. The whole ground shook and we were high-fiving total strangers.

I've been to a lot of footy in Melbourne and Brisbane at the height of great Lions teams and non-Lions particularly at Subiaco Oval and to this day the loudest crowd I've heard was the Lions v Carlton Elimination Final in 09 at the Gabba. That game was deafening after Bradshaw kicked the sealer.

That was our first live game in years. My son used to get vomiting migraines daily (sometimes more than 1/day) so we never went anywhere or did anything to minimise them. He got the opportunity to do half time auskick thing and we did. Game and atmosphere was brilliant but he was ill for days after. He told us it was so good he would be happy with migraines after if he could go to every game, so we bought our memberships and he vomited his way through every home game weeend/ Mondays for years. Ahhh, the memoirs.

That was our first live game in years. My son used to get vomiting migraines daily (sometimes more than 1/day) so we never went anywhere or did anything to minimise them. He got the opportunity to do half time auskick thing and we did. Game and atmosphere was brilliant but he was ill for days after. He told us it was so good he would be happy with migraines after if he could go to every game, so we bought our memberships and he vomited his way through every home game weeend/ Mondays for years. Ahhh, the memoirs.
Thats a great story. Love it Gadzorks. You epitomise the classic footy family. lol

That was the night two boofheads three rows behind us decided to punch and tumbled down into our row pinning my nephew to his seat.
Got in touch with the club and they were fantastic about it-took him in to see the players during the week, gave him a jersey-really looked after him.

Dislocated my shoulder trying to rip my shirt off in celebration when the siren went that night.

Sitting at the scoring end for that last quarter was magical.

Was sitting near that video above, just lower. Was great but can't remember much as a 9 year old then.

I feel special now when I'm one of the select few at the game. Of course I'm not complaining about large numbers, but it's good footspace when no one is there.

That game in 2009 was the highlight of my Lions supporting life. I was so young during the Premierships that I couldn't appreciate them properly, but being in that crowd in 2009 was insane. I would say it is hard to describe, but I think every Lions fan in attendance would know the feeling I'm talking about. <3

09 was my second year as a member. Fractured my hand by the end of the game from banging on the Gabba members fence that was right next to my seat. Had bruising on it for a week after. Was a great night. My avatar is a photo of me later that night.

If we had scientific data to measure it, I would just about stake my life that the three loudest roars ever in the entire history of the Gabba happened in that one game vs Carlton in 09, and that includes cricket and every game in the premiership era too when Akermanis regularly set the crowd on fire.

1. Rich's goal.
2. Bradshaw's goal - the Gabba literally shook. No hyperbole.
3. The final siren.

No videos do it justice, but this one comes close. I doubt I will ever have a better night at the Gabba in my life. There was magic in the air that day.

Oh yeah!!

The memories!!!

Best win ever outside the 3 GF's.

Minor placings filled by the "miracle on grass", the Bears comeback from 45 down at 3/4 time in 1995 and that fabulous win against WCE when Polks potted that 65 meter torp.

There are others too!!

We've had some ball-tearing wins over the years and should be proud of our club despite the gloom of the last 6 or 7 years.:footy:

That game was the one that finished the conversion from league supporter to AFL supporter for me. Was just at the end of school and went with a friend's family - still remember the night so vividly. Regardless of everything that followed, Voss the coach will always have that.

If we had scientific data to measure it, I would just about stake my life that the three loudest roars ever in the entire history of the Gabba happened in that one game vs Carlton in 09, and that includes cricket and every game in the premiership era too when Akermanis regularly set the crowd on fire.

1. Rich's goal.
2. Bradshaw's goal - the Gabba literally shook. No hyperbole.
3. The final siren.

No videos do it justice, but this one comes close. I doubt I will ever have a better night at the Gabba in my life. There was magic in the air that day.

"If it bleeds we can kill it" game had a really special feeling to it as well. I think I joined this board soon before or after that game.

Never heard a Gabba crowd go more berserk than the 2009 EF v Carlton.

The noise and the crowd spotfires were something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember going to... well, let's just call it Boomer's 400th and leave it at that... And the North crowd seemed a lot louder than ours. Wouldn't have overly surprised me if they actually outnumbered us.

It's good to hear the Gabba starting to sound proper again.

I was at the 2009 elim with my 82 yr old Father. And although i was fully invested in the game, deep down i had some genuine concerns that my Dad was going to have a heart attack from the noise.
He was at that point where his eyes weren't real good and his mind was slowing so everytime the crowd went off, he would almost go through the roof, but the smile on his face after each time was priceless.
He has since passed away and to this day it is still one of my most treasured days with my Dad. And i am glad he was there to enjoy it with me.

I remember going to... well, let's just call it Boomer's 400th and leave it at that... And the North crowd seemed a lot louder than ours. Wouldn't have overly surprised me if they actually outnumbered us.

It's good to hear the Gabba starting to sound proper again.
There has been a few collingwood games like that too, and to be honest i hate it. This is supposed to be our town and we need to get the passion back.
And even in that game the other night you can see the players responding to the crowd and it is something we havent seen in a while.

There has been a few collingwood games like that too, and to be honest i hate it. This is supposed to be our town and we need to get the passion back.
And even in that game the other night you can see the players responding to the crowd and it is something we havent seen in a while.
Collingwood flogs... hate em. Sick of listening to them in the members seats (cos there not full) and most of our supporters sitting there like num nuts and not giving it back to them.

I've been to a lot of footy in Melbourne and Brisbane at the height of great Lions teams and non-Lions particularly at Subiaco Oval and to this day the loudest crowd I've heard was the Lions v Carlton Elimination Final in 09 at the Gabba. That game was deafening after Bradshaw kicked the sealer.
I don't think anyone can argue the noise of 09 but the Fev v Carlton game (2010) is right up there

I don't think anyone can argue the noise of 09 but the Fev v Carlton game (2010) is right up there
Correct me of i am wrong, but i believe Fev had something like 11 shots on goal in that game. A couple he missed all together.
You could see his class right from that first game, his leading was amazing. It is a shame he was Fev.

Correct me of i am wrong, but i believe Fev had something like 11 shots on goal in that game. A couple he missed all together.
You could see his class right from that first game, his leading was amazing. It is a shame he was Fev.
Maybe, he kicked 3.5(?) and Brown 7.something. Between them could've had 20 shots that night.

One of the great JB games

Last 6 mins of that game.
Most of the come back had already been completed but great to watch and remember.

Watch "Brisbane Lions vs Carlton Blues Final Minutes 09 HD" on YouTube
That build up at Bradshaw's snap remains to this day, the most surreal sound I've heard at the Gabba. You can hear in that video the crowd cheering loud as when the ball came in to him, and as he's spun and kicked - the cliche hush falls over the ground, followed by everyone in unison raising their voices "oooooooooohhhhHHHHHHHHHHHYEEEEEAHHHHHH!!!!"

Simply sublime. The only thing close to it is the LIONS LIONS chants that used to ring out around the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back